• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2011
    Christodoulides wrote
    Why isn't everyone talking about LUDOVIC BOURCE - The Artist ? Such elegance, charm and melody! Nostalgic of eras past. 20's glory and romanticism at their best. Kinda like what Giacchino was doing with the lush Paris streets, in Ratatouille. Only better smile

You have intrigued me. I love these kinds of scores. Sweet and romantic without being sickly sweet... am I right in that assumption?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    No, not at all. It's 20's romanticism, where the movie is being set anyway. It's utterly orchestral and grand. The amount of work put to it by the composer is admirable. The period songs fit it quite well indeed.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Timmer wrote
    NP : BARBARELLA - Bob Crewe & Charles Fox

Does anyone have the Universal France compilation that features Michel Magne's rejected score for Barbarella?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorNeilbucket
    NP: The Grudge - Christopher Young.

This is a recent purchase for me and I am enjoying it. I spent much of the weekend enjoying horror movies and this score is continuing that 'mood' for me. I think I'll follow this up with his scores for the first two Hellraiser movies....wonderful stuff.
    Insert witty line here
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Love it, great scores, both of them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Kung Fu Panda 2 - Hans Zimmer & John Powell

Finally able to watch this movie and hear the score in context. Lots of plusses. It's a very buoyant score, more so than the first score. It's so thematic and motif centric. Lots of different arrangements hear and there. The new darker material is really nicely done, with tons of enjoyable percussion layered in between.
    But there is a feeling of schizophrenic energy running through the score, since it's almost wall to wall music in the move, that it's trying to amp up the action too much almost to the point of being distracting. The first score had a sense of restraint, moments of respite that made the grand statements so bold and epic. But given that the sequel is almost all dark thematics and all action, I'll have to concede that the score had to match it.

That said, I like score very much. It works well as a sequel album, in that it's a great follow up album, taking all that you like the about the first one, add a liberal dose of new thematics, and amp it up 3-4 times. And that's pretty much how I would listen to this one, directly after the first one, in a marathon 2hrs listening stint. Can't wait to hear what the 2nd sequel will bring.
  2. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote

Does anyone have the Universal France compilation that features Michel Magne's rejected score for Barbarella?

Yes, and I think it's really good. I watched the film a couple of years ago and can't really remember the score that was eventually used.

The Magne score is a great 60's score. Bossa nova tunes and baroque music for a space movie... cool

Sound clips: http://musique.fnac.com/a1976853/Michel … 3-CD-album
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Antineutrino wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote

Yes, and I think it's really good. I watched the film a couple of years ago and can't really remember the score that was eventually used.

The Magne score is a great 60's score. Bossa nova tunes and baroque music for a space movie... cool

Sound clips: http://musique.fnac.com/a1976853/Michel … 3-CD-album

This I never knew? shocked I'll check it out.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Ooooooh, just a little new score written by the worlds greatest film composer for a film made by one of the greatest directors of all time!

wink

BTW, I see where this is going so how witty can some of you be?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2011 edited
    Steven wrote
    I'll blow my own trumpet here...

Ewww.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Ooooooh, just a little new score written by the worlds greatest film composer for a film made by one of the greatest directors of all time!

wink

-Erik-

Fuck off.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thomas and the Magic Railroad?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Great Santini - Elmer Bernstein

Very odd start (first track sounds like it could come from The Twilight Zone, second track is source music) but it develops into a really lovely score with some trademark Bernstein heartmelting tunes. Adore his music in that style.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Steven wrote
    Thomas and the Magic Railroad?

That's a terrible movie. My little girl loves it. But damn, the only good part of that movie is the train models.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: WYATT EARP (James Newton Howard)

"The Wedding" is one of the most gorgeous love themes ever composed. The action music ain't too shabby either.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

wink

-Erik-

Fuck off.

biggrin

Seriously, I want to hear your thoughts on this one as soon as possible Snowy...er...I mean Erik.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I'm doing an emergency Cineamtic Sound recording today! The show will be up later tonight or tomorrow morning!

So far... think Catch Me If You Can/The Knight Bus for the main title. A hint of Harry Potter for the Secret of the Scroll theme. Snowy's Theme is more rhythmic based then melodic. "Escape From The Karaboudjan" offers some Crystal Skullesque action writing. First great cue on the album! shocked Oh fuck yeah! The 2 minutes into this track... BLAM! There you are Mr. Williams. Cooooool! Tears. Goosebumps! It's like an action cue out of Chamber of Secrets. Great recording by Shawn Murphy by the way!

EDIT - "Sir Francis And The Unicorn" Yes, Yes. Yes. Yes. YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES! Oh shit... Williams is back bitches!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    I'm doing an emergency Cineamtic Sound recording today! The show will be up later tonight or tomorrow morning!

-Erik-

Well, considering you didn't do an emergency show for Crystal Skull I'll take this as a good sign.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Well, considering you didn't do an emergency show for Crystal Skull I'll take this as a good sign.

I did actually! I even did one for Desplat's Harry Potter 7.1 shocked

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Oh. sad

Oh well, if the one deity I do believe in disappoints me again, I'm turning to Mormonism.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

-Erik-

I think you should only do emergency shows for scores that blow you away.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Oh. sad

Oh well, if the one deity I do believe in disappoints me again, I'm turning to Mormonism.

I'm sort of with you, I'll join moronism and only listen to RC/MV scores.

(don't be too offended RC/MV fans, I don't make a habit out of insulting the afflicted)
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

-Erik-

I think you should only do emergency shows for scores that blow you away.

I've got "Sir Francis And The Unicorn" on repeat! We haven't heard anything like this from Williams in a LONG, LONG time! Can't wait to share this with you all! So pleasantly surprised by this! I hope it holds up! So far... lots of fun!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    If you missed it I edited one of my posts above with some initial fanboy thoughts! wink

http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … l/#Item_17

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Oh wow! Williams goes Indiana Jones during the last 30 seconds of "Red Rackhams Curse And The Treasure." You remember that awesome transition between the seagull scene and The Sultan's palace in Last Crusade! Yeah... awesome but much more epic!!

-Erik-
  3. Dooooooooooood !!!! You're making me mighty excited about this one. Good old Williams is back? Dammit, when is it coming out again? cool
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Oh. sad

I'm sort of with you, I'll join moronism and only listen to RC/MV scores.

(don't be too offended RC/MV fans, I don't make a habit out of insulting the afflicted)

I like RC/MV scores, and I agree with you. biggrin
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Erik Woods wrote

wink

-Erik-

Thank you, please, rub it in my face more...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anthony wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

wink

-Erik-

Thank you, please, rub it in my face more...

That's what she said.