• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2011
    Some peope are light siders, some peope are dark siders, my dear Darth Elfman...
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2011 edited
    NP: ACROSS THE UNIVERSE (The Beatles/Elliot Goldenthal)

Guess I got inspired to play some EG again after Ghent. Never really liked this, though. Too much fuzz guitar in the arrangements of the classic songs. But there are highlights. What I really want is the brief score he wrote for it.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ooooo, I love the arrangements! I think it's a cracker of a musical tribute!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote

I've still yet to hear it. I've heard Bonio's I AM THE WALRUS and was not impressed.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    was playing Tintin John Williams

For a score as exciting as this, it's actually quite boring. I usually love generic John Williams action music, ala Jurassic Park, Attack of the Clones, Harry Potter, etc., but this has no memorable themes in between all the noise to prop up the rest of the score. Snowy's "theme" isn't so much a theme but rather a rhythmical orchestral lick. An adequate enough motif, sure, but a theme!?

I found that many of the cues just drifted by without me realising what I'd just listened to. The Falcon track is a decent track, but it's helped by the fact the rest of the score is so bland. Unfortunately the album is a bit of a chore to listen to all the way through, and could definitely do with a shorter running time. But even then I don't think I'd return to it very often. Incredibly disappointing. I just hope it grows on me, I really want to like this score.

Having heard clips from War Horse, all I can say is I'm all but certain that score will make up for this score.

I read your post last night and was hoping I wouldn't agree with it....

sad

Very underwhelming. Still, I've only given it one listen.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It's got a great cook, but it's missing a few key ingredients. It's okay though, I'm getting my hopes up for War Horse and I know I won't be disappointed! cheesy Nothing could possibly go wrong! cheesy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    dizzy

I tentatively agree with you, films like War Horse bring out the very best in Williams.

NP : BOURNE ULTIMATUM - John Powell

Exceptional!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    War Horse...well, I hope the score is good, as the film's premise doesn't entice me at all. But then I've never liked horses much. There's a fair bit of steak to be had from 'em, but that's about the full extent of my interest.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Horses, like trains, mountains, ships etc seem to bring out great music in composers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    They do?
    Hm. No more than dogs, or whales.

Or dinosaurs.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    They do?
    Hm. No more than dogs, or whales.

Or dinosaurs.

Dinosaurs and whales, yes! Not sure about Dogs?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I was thinking about Lassie or Balto or the like.
    Being a cat man myself I greatly lament the lack of really good cat scores (although in a pinch India: Kingdom Of The Tiger will do wink )
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    I was thinking about Lassie or Balto or the like.
    Being a cat man myself I greatly lament the lack of really good cat scores (although in a pinch India: Kingdom Of The Tiger will do wink )

Giorgio Moroder's CAT PEOPLE is excellent! ( though I know Moroder isn't everyone's cup of cat-nip )

And cat themes don't get better than Henry Mancini's THE PINK PANTHER, hell! Do any themes get much better than that? cat cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    And cat themes don't get better than Henry Mancini's THE PINK PANTHER, hell! Do any themes get much better than that? cat cool

WIN! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    War Horse...well, I hope the score is good, as the film's premise doesn't entice me at all. But then I've never liked horses much. There's a fair bit of steak to be had from 'em, but that's about the full extent of my interest.

I'm not interested in Tintin or War Horse. Spielberg should only make films about aliens, dinosaurs, sharks and robots.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Tintin has dealt with three of those...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Martijn wrote

I'm not interested in Tintin or War Horse. Spielberg should only make films about aliens, dinosaurs, sharks and robots.

I almost seconded this motion but then I thought about films like Saving Private Ryan, Empire of The Sun, Munich, Schindler's List.......
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Tintin has dealt with three of those...

War horses, Robots and Aliens?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: COBB (Elliot Goldenthal)

Great score, kinda twisted Americana. His raspy baritone singing makes me a bit sad, though, because it reminds me of the more powerful and "present" person he once was.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    NP: COBB (Elliot Goldenthal)

Great score, kinda twisted Americana. His raspy baritone singing makes me a bit sad, though, because it reminds me of the more powerful and "present" person he once was.

How is Elliot Goldenthal these days? Reading Bregje's report sounded a bit worrying.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : A VIEW TO A KILL - John Barry

One of my favourites, I love the moodier moments in particular.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Martijn wrote

I almost seconded this motion but then I thought about films like Saving Private Ryan, Empire of The Sun, Munich, Schindler's List.......

I was being a little bit facetious for comedic purposes, but to be honest I'm not interested in seeing another war film from Spielberg, as great as all those films are I hasten to add. Nor am I interested in Tintin. I'll still see both though, and I'm hoping I'll enjoy them. I just really couldn't care less about the adventures of Tintin... oh I'm so jaded. sad

On the other hand, I'm REALLY looking forward to Robopocalypse! THAT'S what I want to see from Spielberg.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'm all for any Spielberg war films punk

But yeah, Roboacropolis sounds excellent, bring it on!
    •  
      CommentAuthorchristopher
    I've got "Flow Like Water" from THE LAST AIRBENDER on repeat.

Ah, James Newton Howard, as a film composer you're either on or you're off, but when you're on, you're amazing.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : MIKE'S MURDER - John Barry

Like a sub-par BODY HEAT, not one of Barry's best by any stretch but still quite an enjoyable listen.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote

I've still yet to hear it. I've heard Bonio's I AM THE WALRUS and was not impressed.

I just re-listened to it...

...and I've CHANGED my mind!

It's not bad at all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote

It's not bad at all.

It's not the best track on the album (and yeah, it doesn't help if you don't particularly care for Holy Bono, Patron Saint Of All Sanctimoniousness), but I like it. But there are some other very clever arrangements on there I enjoy far better
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote

It's not bad at all.

And, of course...

it's a TOUGH act to follow wink

p.s. Thanks for reminding me of Across The Universe, I'm definitely going to pick it up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    edit.. dammit Timmer!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    edit.. dammit Timmer!

It happens to all of us.