• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2011
    plindboe wrote
    Reign of fire (Shearmur)

For a melody fan like me, this one is tough to get through. It's all sounding rather cool, but I find it hard to detect any melodies.

Peter smile

Fantastic, FANTASTIC score!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote
    I think it's a couple of steps back from Crystal Skull.

For me Tintin is behind Crystal Skull in the thematic department but miles ahead in composition!

-Erik-

"Like" :-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Erik Woods wrote
    plindboe wrote
    Reign of fire (Shearmur)

For a melody fan like me, this one is tough to get through. It's all sounding rather cool, but I find it hard to detect any melodies.

Peter smile

Fantastic, FANTASTIC score!

-Erik-

I can't find a single track on this album that I like.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2011 edited
    Really? Oh boy! Where to begin. I'm not going to try and change your mind here because this sort of music is really in the love it or hate it category. I don't think there is an in between.

I guess if you are going to appreciate it then you have to like dissonant, chaotic, extremely noisy (in a good way), angry scoring. Think Aliens and anything from Elliot Goldenthal. I love the Penderecki strings, and the angry brass in "An Early Harvest/Field Attack!" Killer action material. There's a great theme heard in "Marauders" which is a great march like cue and then you get this killer heroic theme in "Meet Van Zan." "Magic Hour/Rebirth" is where it all comes together. An 8 minute orchestral tour-de-force that ends brilliantly with in a refreshing, heroic, and freeing major tone with a superb brass fanfare to end all things. Everything else in between I think it just delightful, it's full of energy and contains some challenging orchestrations which is basically what the score is riding on!

I don't know what else to say but that's what I get out of the score! I also really love the film! Not since Dragonslayer have dragon's looked so convincing!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    plindboe wrote
    Reign of fire (Shearmur)

Peter smile

It's a stunning score!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PAUL HASLINGER - the three musketeers

If it didn't try so hard to imitate Zimmer and Pirates of the Caribbean all the time, it could actually be interesting. Whenever a good idea for a melody starts, he tries to blow it all up with the same cheesy cheap sounding Zimmer - imitating crap. I found it enjoyable at brief instances and generally irritating, especially the cacophonous action cues that sound like 80's Trevor Rabin synth demos.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Erik Woods wrote
    Really? Oh boy! Where to begin. I'm not going to try and change your mind here because this sort of music is really in the love it or hate it category. I don't think there is an in between.

I guess if you are going to appreciate it then you have to like dissonant, chaotic, extremely noisy (in a good way), angry scoring. Think Aliens and anything from Elliot Goldenthal. I love the Penderecki strings, and the angry brass in "An Early Harvest/Field Attack!" Killer action material. There's a great theme heard in "Marauders" which is a great march like cue and then you get this killer heroic theme in "Meet Van Zan." "Magic Hour/Rebirth" is where it all comes together. An 8 minute orchestral tour-de-force that ends brilliantly with in a refreshing, heroic, and freeing major tone with a superb brass fanfare to end all things. Everything else in between I think it just delightful, it's full of energy and contains some challenging orchestrations which is basically what the score is riding on!

I don't know what else to say but that's what I get out of the score! I also really love the film! Not since Dragonslayer have dragon's looked so convincing!

-Erik-

Wow, great impassioned post! I will give the score more chances, starting with the tracks you mention. Perhaps it will get to me at some point. Normally I don't enjoy dissonance much, though there are a few instances where I feel it can really add to a piece. A score consisting mostly of dissonance might never get to me no matter how much I try, but I will give this one some extra attention. I wish I got it because I get the feeling it's the kind of score you can really headbang to if it's your sorta thing.

Haven't seen the movie in a while. I remember the dragons being hella cool though.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: MULAN (Jerry Goldsmith)

Love the songs and score equally much! Wonderful stuff, thanks again, Gilles! smile
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Haha, this makes my day! You didn't waste any time. cool
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    I like the mo-cap films. I love The Polar Express. Loved Avatar. Beowulf is under appreciated!

Agree with this statement, and Christmas Carol is OK really thanks to some incredible shots and ideas that can only come from a mind like Zemeckis'

However, I do wish Zemeckis would stop with the mo-cap from now. He's too talented to be stuck in that medium. I didn't hear good thing about A Christmas Carol.

-Erik-

Yeah, I'm dying to see another live action film from him. I'm a huge fan of most of his pre 2000 work, Contact is one of my favourite films ever... Forrest Gump is superb as well, and the BTTF trilogy, well that one doesn't need explaining. smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. THE ADVENTURES OF TINTIN - JOHN WILLIAMS

The first listen was okay, this sounds interesting. I wasn't blown away, and I wasn't disappointed either.

The second listen, I'm enjoying it even more. A big plus for me when comparing it to the bore-fest that is Crystal Skull, is that the album is pretty much entertaining from start to finish. Where Crystal Skull has all the interesting material during the first half and I fall asleep during the second. The score is very busy busy busy, but when Williams does it, there's a level of complexity to the writing that is admirable, and I've gotten used to over the years coming from him. No more fantastic long-winded melodies like back in the day, this is modern style Williams, and it always remains enjoyable to my ears, even if it sounds like mickey mousing a lot of the time. it doesn't have a big memorable theme, something that sticks in the mind, but I'm finding it has tons of cool moments that keep me interested. I have to say that I don't feel disappointment with Tintin, it is actually a fun score and I'm very interested to hear it mixed in the film.

Not too happy with how that opera cue ends, but hey it's only a few seconds. And I like the final cue a lot. It will never be a 5 star score but as it stands now, I'd give it a 4. Which is already a half more than Crystal Skull (which had the huge benefit of the already existing themes).

Favourite cues so far (will change over time): Snowy's Theme, Sir Francis and the Unicorn, Red Rackham's Curse and the Treasure, The Pursuit of the Falcon, The Adventure Continues.
  4. NP: Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure - Lorne Balfe (theme by Hans Zimmer)

I am really enjoying this video game score. It's light and airy and Zimmer's theme is quite catchy (which is lucky because it's featured a lot in the score). I like the use of the guitar-like instrument (it sounds too mandolin-y to be a guitar but I don't think that it's a guitar. It may be something like a zither) and the mystical East feel to the score is nice.

This is the 30+ minute official release. I see that there's rips from the actual game already available but this album is a nice bite-sized representation of the score (the 6-7 minute tracks from the game rip sound a bit too long and are just really repetitions of the music that's heard on the official album.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DreamTheater wrote
    THE ADVENTURES OF TINTIN - JOHN WILLIAMS

The first listen was okay, this sounds interesting. I wasn't blown away..
    No more fantastic long-winded melodies like back in the day...
    it doesn't have a big memorable theme, something that sticks in the mind...

Not too happy with how that opera cue ends, but hey it's only a few seconds..

My thoughts exactly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Kai egoo.

(Ancient Greek for "me too". I told ya we were a highly sophisticated and educated group!)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Although something like "kai isthe emou" might be better, I think? dizzy
    (literally "and those of mine")
    Any ancient Greeks on the forum that can confirm?

NP: House Of Flying Daggers - Shigeru Umebayashi

My very favourite Oriental "fairy tale" film, with a wonderful score.
    Umebayashi's thoroughly moving and beautiful 'Lovers' theme is right up there with the best of love themes in the history of film music.
    I never tiring of hearing it.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  5. Ride With The Devil - Mychael Danna

I finally got a hold of this soundtrack because I was just obsessed with the piece "Finale." It's just as amazing now as it was when I first heard it in the movie.
  6. So I just finished the whole score and it's pretty damn good. I especially loved "Clark Farm Shootout." How have I not gotten into Mychael Danna up until now?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Well, Danna isn't always this bold and traditional. Listen to Ararat and then come back here and let us know what you think. BTW, I don't think Ararat is bad it's just the polar opposite of what he did in Ride With The Devil.

Personally, I like Danna's music (and his brother Jeff's stuff as well) Two guys who grew up only 20 minutes down the highway from here. I recommend giving The Nativity Story, Heart in Atlantis, The Ice Storm, and Surf's Up a go!

Then you should try someof his smaller scale, more personal scores for director Atom Egoyan.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: Battle: Los Angeles - Brian Tyler

Nothing new here, but hell, is it fun!
    (Yet another) energetic, driving score Tyler really gets pigeonholed in these days.
    And while I wish he'd get the chance for another Children Of Dune, this stuff'll do me for a quick fix until then.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    THELMA & LOUISE - HANS ZIMMER

beer fireworks cheesy fireworks beer

A score I've been waiting for many years to be released. Finally here and it is good ! Simply love that guitar & harmonica and how it blends with Zimmer's early synth writing. This score works just as great on CD as it does in the film.

I simply melt for a track such as 'Charged With Murder' love

Chris' Soundtrack Corner delivered, so happy I didn't miss out on this. cool punk cool punk cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    And WHOM does one owe a massive gratitude to for pointing one in the proper direction?
  7. Wait, I know he's dutch, he has a cool name, he knows a thing or two about golden age scores and he's just an all round swell guy.

You wouldn't know him by any chance, Martijn?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    biggrin
  8. Not having much luck at the moment with new discs at the moment. After Craig Armstrong's In Time and Cliff Martinez's Severe Clear and other couple of scores do nothing to generate much interest: both Conrad Pope/Alexandre Desplat's My Week With Marilyn and Ludovic Bource's The Artist are two titles that I could quite happily not hear again.

Pope's contribution to My Week With Marilyn is much more interesting than Desplat's (to my ears) boring theme. And I have never liked much that has anything to do with the 1920s/early 1930s and so Bource's score didn't really stand a chance - it reminds me far too much of that era.

Luckily, they are all review copies!

Much better was finding some additional score tracks for Despicable Me and finding a couple of albums that feature music from Turkish composer Zülfü Livaneli who composed music for films such as Mutluluk (Bliss) and Veda:

Mutluluk and Film Müzikleri
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  9. I find the more I reviewed, the more tired I got of film music, although there were always unexpected gems to compensate every now and then. I think I enjoy it more now, just concentrating on the composers I like. (Ironically, among the living - Desplat, Desplat, Iglesias, Gordon, Muhly, Williams, Rombi, Yared, Desplat, Amar, and Desplat.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  10. DreamTheater wrote
    Wait, I know he's dutch, he has a cool name, he knows a thing or two about golden age scores and he's just an all round swell guy.

Paul van Brugge?

wink
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2011
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Not having much luck at the moment with new discs at the moment. After Craig Armstrong's In Time and Cliff Martinez's Severe Clear and other couple of scores do nothing to generate much interest: both Conrad Pope/Alexandre Desplat's My Week With Marilyn and Ludovic Bource's The Artist are two titles that I could quite happily not hear again.

Pope's contribution to My Week With Marilyn is much more interesting than Desplat's (to my ears) boring theme. And I have never liked much that has anything to do with the 1920s/early 1930s and so Bource's score didn't really stand a chance - it reminds me far too much of that era.

Not a good batch it was. biggrin wink
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    I find the more I reviewed, the more tired I got of film music, although there were always unexpected gems to compensate every now and then. I think I enjoy it more now, just concentrating on the composers I like. (Ironically, among the living - Desplat, Desplat, Iglesias, Gordon, Muhly, Williams, Rombi, Yared, Desplat, Amar, and Desplat.)

Desplat is always a treat to me too smile I thoroughly enjoyed ides of march at the cinema the other day. Alan what happened my friend you will happily not hear the artist again whilst you enjoy haslinger's the three crapateers ? Passing through a bad Second puberty ? wink you know I a teasing you right ?
  11. MAGNOLIA - JON BRION

I've been waiting twelve years to get the score, after having watched the brilliant movie countless times. Why I never got around buying it is beyond me, because this is my kind of thing, every cue creating a certain mood, that is so perfect for the powerful images and the different storylines that intersect, or how the feelings of hope, pain and regret can be put into musical terms. Its effect in the movie is totally hypnotic and is part what makes the film such an emotional experience, along with the powerhouse acting and directing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DreamTheater wrote
    MAGNOLIA - JON BRION

I've been waiting twelve years to get the score, after having watched the brilliant movie countless times. Why I never got around buying it is beyond me, because this is my kind of thing, every cue creating a certain mood, that is so perfect for the powerful images and the different storylines that intersect, or how the feelings of hope, pain and regret can be put into musical terms. Its effect in the movie is totally hypnotic and is part what makes the film such an emotional experience, along with the powerhouse acting and directing.

Twelve years? Really?

Really? uhm