• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2011
    Martijn says...

"When I said I think it's the best love theme EVER written for ANY film, I wasn't kidding."

I had a really good think about this, there are some astonishingly great love themes by the likes of Williams, Horner, Goldsmith, Morricone, Legrand etc etc, and of course, my own favourite composer John Barry has written more than a handful of exquisite love themes too but try as I might, I could only come to the conclusion that you are right.

It IS the greatest love theme ever written for film.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    We should hang out.

That's what *I* say, by Crom! slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote

I usually hate saying this is the greatest score, or this is the greatest cue... but in this case, I'm hard pressed to think of a more effective love theme.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    Martijn wrote
    We should hang out.*)

*) (c) Steven E. 2011
    All rights reserved.

That's what *I* say, by Crom! slant

biggrin
    Adjusted.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE PROMISE - Klaus Bedelt

A bit overlong but very enjoyable and melodic.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Oh I must listen to it again, and I agree with your comment. But it's a real pity that the best melody for me (Freedom of the Wa) is only used in the one track.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Klaus Bedelt?

Ooh, busted. biggrin
  2. Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

I usually hate saying this is the greatest score, or this is the greatest cue... but in this case, I'm hard pressed to think of a more effective love theme.

You have my bow. And my axe.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  3. The Help - Thomas Newman

Maybe it's because I'm in such a mood, but this is really hitting the spot now.
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    "Love theme" number 1 for me has for a long time been Leonard Bernstein's "On the Waterfront". I will probably take that conviction to my grave! :p

What I dislike about so many love themes is that they are too defined, they seem so secure of themselves, so established, it seems unlogical in a way... because love itself is not like that at all. To limit a melody to a four to eight bar structure with fixed harmonies and intervals that obviously dictates much of it's compositional path is too much a limitation for the concept of "love", which is the most powerful and complex emotion known to us. I could be wrong, but I have felt this more and more over the last few years...

But Rota's theme is gorgeous, enchanting, delightfully simple, and of course as previously stated: achingly painful - one of the first pieces of film music I wanted to learn in my early years of piano playing. I just wanted to disagree with it being the very greatest - a status I reserve for Leonard Bernstein's fantastic and unprecedentedly sensitive love music from On the Waterfront... :-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Dumbstruck - Daniel Licht

Lightweight, but very enjoyable soundtrack to what I think is a documentary on ventriloquists.
    Alterrnating folksy, jazzy and kindly emotional, guitar driven, with a small combo, and very melodic indeed.
    In fact the CD at times feels more like a popular CD rather than a soundtrack, although the is the odd nos to Thomas Newman in lightweight quirkiness (but without Newman's more habitual darkness. Maybe it's more Powell than Newman?)
    This score has an excellent vibe and certainly invites multiple listens.
    Very nice!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  4. AFO - JG

punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    That's likely the briefest and least intelligible post in the history of MainTitles. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2011 edited
    DreamTheater wrote
    AFO - JG

punk

Air Force One - Jerry Goldsmith.

Smiley is appropriate.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    markrayen wrote
    . I just wanted to disagree with it being the very greatest - a status I reserve for Leonard Bernstein's fantastic and unprecedentedly sensitive love music from On the Waterfront... :-)

But can't you see how TERRIBLY wrong you a.... Oh wait. i was gonna be mature enough not to do that anymore. shame

wink
  5. markrayen wrote
    What I dislike about so many love themes is that they are too defined, they seem so secure of themselves, so established, it seems unlogical in a way... because love itself is not like that at all. To limit a melody to a four to eight bar structure with fixed harmonies and intervals that obviously dictates much of it's compositional path is too much a limitation for the concept of "love", which is the most powerful and complex emotion known to us. I could be wrong, but I have felt this more and more over the last few years...

I think these 'neat love themes' that you describe work as a kind of emotional shorthand in films that quickly want to establish everyone's archetypal role. So barely has Orlando glanced at Keira in PIRATES, but the music sums up the potential of their love (and it can't hurt that Zimmer is possibly a bit limited to 4-8 bar ideas). Mind you, that is a dramatic function that even a complicated love theme can play. Luke looks at a hologram of Leia in STAR WARS, etc. (A lot of Williams scores tell us what we should see, rather than what we do see.)

Although it's of the cheesy love theme variety, I like the love theme of ASHES OF TIME, which lies in wait for the whole film, revealing itself only in the film's closing section.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gg2RLa9R … re=related

And the love theme of SAMSARA is another beauty. Cyril Morin in that case.
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDJHBJ1qyMA
  6. Martijn wrote
    That's likely the briefest and least intelligible post in the history of MainTitles. smile

I'm not exactly known around these parts for my overlong and complicated posts. tongue

Scribe wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    AFO - JG

punk

Air Force One - Jerry Goldsmith.

Smiley is appropriate.

Thank you sir! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Franz, very interesting thoughts, and spot on, I think.
    Thanks for elaborating.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I couldn't care less whether a love theme is simple or formulaic. The only thing that matters is whether it moves me. Sometimes the simplest melodies in the world are the most effective. Technical merit bears little concern when love is the subject.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to drink beer and use power tools to redeem my manhood…
  7. My favorite love theme is Newman's bittersweet theme for The Good German. Emphasis on bitter.
  8. Kevin Scarlet wrote
    My favorite love theme is Newman's bittersweet theme for The Good German. Emphasis on bitter.

Oh yes. Now that moves me. In ways I didn't expect to be moved. It's the opposite of a love theme in a way. It's an 'old love' theme.
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    Good points Franz, I don't disagree! The role of such a "neat love theme" is to act as a guidance for the audience, and I don't have a problem with that. Personally though, I think this stereotypical sort of love theme has worn off a bit with me, regardless of function. I need it to move into deeper territory, and I think Bernstein is the only one who ever accomplished such a thing (to the best of my knowledge). Not surprisingly he was a concert composer/conductor, and was not used to letting the film tell a part of the story... he did it all by himself, and I love him for it! smile
  9. Steven wrote
    I couldn't care less whether a love theme is simple or formulaic. The only thing that matters is whether it moves me. Sometimes the simplest melodies in the world are the most effective. Technical merit bears little concern when love is the subject.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to drink beer and use power tools to redeem my manhood…

Absolutely. Whether you're trying to sneak up on people and have the love grow in the audience's mind as it dawns on the characters, or whether you're trying to say at the outset 'this couple are in love, believe it, it's an axiom of this story'... either way, it doesn't work unless people are moved.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2011 edited
    franz_conrad wrote

Although it's of the cheesy love theme variety, I like the love theme of ASHES OF TIME, which lies in wait for the whole film, revealing itself only in the film's closing section.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gg2RLa9R … re=related

It's amazing how many variations and arrangements this melody got through. It's gorgeous in this iteration.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2011
    DreamTheater wrote
    AFO - JG

punk

it is a Japanese slang meaning "fool"... dizzy

NP: iTunes shuffle of my favorite tracks
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorNeilbucket
    I had a meeting in Raleigh, NC today (about an hour and a half drive from my house) so I spent the time there and back spinning BSX's recent release of Horner's Humanoids from the Deep, Georges Delerue's Rapture and Alan Silvestri's Young Guns II (all of which arrived the night before, with Young's The Core - it was a GREAT time in the car today biggrin
    Insert witty line here
  10. I miss the daily car journey to work now that I am doing the majority of my work at home now. Even when I was only 20 minutes away I still longed for the time when I had to drive for 50 minutes to get to work.

And when I used to drive 50 minutes each way I didn't even have an mp3 player of any kind: it was back in the days of original CDs or homemade CD-Rs!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorNeilbucket
    My normal drive to work is about 20-25 minutes and, for the most part, I listen to National Public Radio - but I often get into composer moods so I fill my car with a healthy selection of scores by that composer (it was Marco Beltrami recently) and enjoy that for as long as it lasts. I am also fortunate enough to have a job where I can plug in my headphones and listen to anything from my entire score collection on a portable hard drive.

I just got a large delivery from Buysoundtrax today (Gremlins, Tin Tin, First Blood, Lifeforce, Battlestar Galactica - Solo Piano, Uncharted 3) so I know I have a full day of new scores to enjoy at work tomorrow.

NP: Gremlins 2 - Jerry Goldsmith
    Insert witty line here
  11. FalkirkBairn wrote
    I miss the daily car journey to work now that I am doing the majority of my work at home now. Even when I was only 20 minutes away I still longed for the time when I had to drive for 50 minutes to get to work.

And when I used to drive 50 minutes each way I didn't even have an mp3 player of any kind: it was back in the days of original CDs or homemade CD-Rs!

My drive to and from work totals about 80-90 minutes. So I always try to take scores that amount to that duration. And I don't care if I have to stop mid-score, I know I'll be able to enjoy the rest on my return trip. That or I take two shorter albums. But these days I also like to connect my MP3 player to my car stereo.
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    franz_conrad wrote
    And the love theme of SAMSARA is another beauty. Cyril Morin in that case.
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDJHBJ1qyMA

I love this one! Usually "world music" doesn't appeal too much to me unless its fused with other genres, but I think I could grow into it smile

(link to the part of the "On the waterfront" suit that features "Terry's theme" (love theme): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFspHkcR4mYbegins at 3.50!