• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2012
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Demetris wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Alexandre Desplat - Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close

Beautiful, just beautiful. Desplat's on a roll this year.

Absolutely; so is Thomas Newman imo, i am very glad with their outputs.

I loved The Help and The Iron Lady, but I haven't heard the Debt or Adjustment Bureau.

The Debt is really cool. It might be a precursor to what he will write when/if he scores Skyfall.

I think it's very downbeat and moody, i hope for Skyfall to be more open and direct.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Hours - Philip Glass

I always thought it was a pretty lousy film score, but it's an excellent album. Very beautiful.
  1. Howard Shore - Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

The original score, not the complete recordings. Great score. Just great.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. The Fellowship original album is actually my favourite of the three, purely as a listening experience. A perfect album.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. Qigang Chen - The Flowers of War

A very dramatic and melodic score, which is the second score of a purportedly famous Chinese classical composer. Featuring an acclaimed violinist (Joshua Bell), solo cello, vocals, two choirs (a Swedish choir and a Chinese child choir), ethnic instruments and the China Philharmonic Orchestra, it makes for a very well-rounded, diverse and beautiful listening experience.

The film is the famous collaboration between Zhang Yimou and Christian Bale. I haven't seen it yet, but I do intend to.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close - Alexandre Desplat

Very good indeed. The pick of the year's Desplats, for me.

Was: Anna and the King - George Fenton

I sat in the cinema watching this (yes, I was the person who saw it) thinking that if the film took off, Fenton was going to become a real A-lister. But it didn't, and he didn't. But he deserves to be.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Overboard - Alan Silvestri

Is this a joke?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close - Alexandre Desplat

Very good indeed. The pick of the year's Desplats, for me.

Was: Anna and the King - George Fenton

I sat in the cinema watching this (yes, I was the person who saw it) thinking that if the film took off, Fenton was going to become a real A-lister. But it didn't, and he didn't. But he deserves to be.

I thought the film was very good but I can see why it didn't become a box office hit.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Me too. It has its charms but also its flaws. Fenton's music is very good, though.

Still playing (somehow): Overboard

Now, I like synthetic hoe-down music as much as the next man, but really...

I just checked and you really do have to pay money to get this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I don't have OVERBOARD, but I love the clips I heard. I love Silvestri's synth scores. But there's also a fair amount of orchestral music, right?
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Demetris wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Demetris wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Alexandre Desplat - Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close

Beautiful, just beautiful. Desplat's on a roll this year.

Absolutely; so is Thomas Newman imo, i am very glad with their outputs.

I loved The Help and The Iron Lady, but I haven't heard the Debt or Adjustment Bureau.

The Debt is really cool. It might be a precursor to what he will write when/if he scores Skyfall.

I think it's very downbeat and moody, i hope for Skyfall to be more open and direct.

Newman can do open and direct. I think his Pixar scores are evidence of that.
  5. Am I the only person who thinks War Horse is only so-so?

And I can hear echoes of Harry Potter and even Pirates of the Caribbean and Poltergeist II!! Very distracting.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2012
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Am I the only person who thinks War Horse is only so-so?

And I can hear echoes of Harry Potter and even Pirates of the Caribbean and Poltergeist II!! Very distracting.

I won't get it untill mid January at the earliest, which is frustrating because everyone else is talking about it!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote
    I don't have OVERBOARD, but I love the clips I heard. I love Silvestri's synth scores. But there's also a fair amount of orchestral music, right?

There's a bit but most of it is synth. It sounds like the sort of thing I wrote and performed on my Casio keyboard when I was six, only it's a bit lower-budget than that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Am I the only person who thinks War Horse is only so-so?

Pirates of the Caribbean?
    John Williams?

Wait, what?

Could you perhaps point to which track and section you are referring to? I am not being facetious, just very surprised and curious about what you are hearing...
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  6. Some people do tend to say that No Man's Land has RCP references, but I think more of The Last Crusade in that cue.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I wasn't blown away by War Horse (it's good - extremely good in parts - but still) but it certainly didn't remind me of Pirates of the Caribbean!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I am very thankful for all the lukewarm opinions that I've read here about War Horse because they prepared me to be underwhelmed and with such low expectations I was deeply pleased to discover how great it actually is to me (especially the Reunion theme!) smile
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  7. I love War Horse. It helps me write a script I am working on at the moment.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Some people do tend to say that No Man's Land has RCP references, but I think more of The Last Crusade in that cue.

There is a three to four second moment in No Man's Land at the 2:20 mark that could remind you of Pirates... but that's stretching it!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  8. That mischievous cello music early on in the album reminds me of the music that Jack Sparrow shuffles around to.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    If anything, that sort of stuff (heard in "Bringing Joey Home and Bonding") goes back much much further than Pirates. Williams' own "No Ticket" from Last Crusade and "March of the Villains" from Superman come to mind.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  9. True. The comparison is pretty superficial.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  10. When I get home I will try and tie the references down. All the reminders of other scores are immediate "gut reaction" feelings.

The music did become more interesting later in the album but the prospect of listening to it again is not an enjoyable one.

It is not a style of music I particularly enjoy at the moment.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I adore War Horse. Finest Williams in a long, long time. Enjoying the hell out of it.
    I really love that solemn, rather dark melodrama he does so well.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorTimon
    I started listening to Tree of Life , but I couldn't get past the fourth track, "River". It could put this piece on repeat for more than an hour. It has all the qualities of Philip Glass' score for The Hours, the flow of melancholia, the intimacy, and the call for grace and beauty, just wonderful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    I adore War Horse. Finest Williams in a long, long time. Enjoying the hell out of it.
    I really love that solemn, rather dark melodrama he does so well.

Indeed, ala Angela's Ashes (which is far more somber in tone to War Horse).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    In fact.. yes... yes! War Horse deserves a Cookie Monster.

Nom nom nom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : ACROSS THE SEA OF TIME - John Barry

Excellent!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Prince & The Pauper and Other Film Music Charles Gerhardt

love

I love golden age 'gushing' romantic themes... I need more! (I have quite a few as it is, but suggestions are very welcome.)