• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorchristopher
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2012 edited
    Return of the King is my favorite album of the three. I speak of the original albums as I haven't bought any of the expanded editions. No accounting for taste, is there?
  1. Scribe wrote
    I'm not quite understanding the comment about ROTK's ending being low-key and restrained...how is expanding the choir to absolutely operatic depth not the most epic climax possible? Maybe I misunderstood...

What I'm talking about is that ROTK's finale on the album, has moments of epic greatness and beauty but overall it doesn't quite wow me like TTT's final tracks. For me that score has the best musical ending of the entire trilogy.

When I said restrained I meant it's not as epic I hoped it would be, maybe I worded it wrong.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2012
    christopher wrote
    Return of the King is my favorite album of the three. I speak of the original albums as I haven't bought any of the expanded editions. No accounting for taste, is there?

I'm with you on that. I don't find it dull at all.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    DreamTheater wrote
    Scribe wrote
    I'm not quite understanding the comment about ROTK's ending being low-key and restrained...how is expanding the choir to absolutely operatic depth not the most epic climax possible? Maybe I misunderstood...

What I'm talking about is that ROTK's finale on the album, has moments of epic greatness and beauty but overall it doesn't quite wow me like TTT's final tracks. For me that score has the best musical ending of the entire trilogy.

When I said restrained I meant it's not as epic I hoped it would be, maybe I worded it wrong.

Well, you have to keep in mind that this movie has the longest ending in the world and the final 22 minutes of the album are all basically the "epilogue" and the epic ending is really the Mount Doom sequence, which really is some of the most epic music ever composed, IMO. Its very unfortunate that the male choir version of the Fellowship theme is left off the original album...
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Hans Zimmer - Angels and Demons

I forgot how much fun this one is. Science and Religion, 160 BPM and the final pieces are very cool.

Loved it too!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Demetris wrote
    n.p. HOWARD SHORE - Lord of the rings: return of the King

Safe to say it's the least favorite score of the three for me, by far.

It's by far my favourite, on album at least (the "short" albums, of course).

My favourite Lord of the Rings album would be about an hour long and combine cues from al three films. Haven't quite got round to making it yet.
  2. Demetris wrote
    LOTR 1 and 2 are way darker, more massive and generally far more "epic" than the third album that feels too varied and stylistically confused to me.

n.p. THOMAS NEWMAN - Finding Nemo

Makes for a nice score in a great movie and a terribly disjoined listening experience on CD.

I wish Newman would mix all his short pieces together into suites, like Horner does. It would feel more coherent. WALL-E had the same issues.
  3. Just finished Patrick Doyle's BRAVE for the first time. I'm a sucker for this kind of thing, so I like it. "Merida's Home" is great!
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    The Cowboys - John Williams

A rousing score !
    Saddle up ! cool
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Vilamor - Zeltia Montes

First listen. Seems to be a very nice score, very summery and just lovely.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    "Art of War" from Battleship by Jablonsky.
    Another one of his "guilty pleasures". But only if you're into power anthems and futuristic sound design. wink
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Miel de Naranjas - Nuno Malo

Impressive, "grown-up" music. Not as instantly appealing as Amalia but it has long-term rewards.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2012
    Southall wrote
    Demetris wrote

My favourite Lord of the Rings album would be about an hour long and combine cues from al three films. Haven't quite got round to making it yet.

Now that's a challenge! I don't think I can do it, in one hour.

I prefer The Two Towers as well, because of the better themes. The choral climax in Return of the King works great as film music, but I don't really enjoy listening to it that much. I even remember thinking not liking the piece at all, when the ring is destroyed... It has been a long while, so perhaps I give it another listen soon.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2012 edited
    Don't shoot me if I say I'm listening to musical songs... wink

NP: The Producers - Mel Brooks

I love these silly songs. And great voices of Adult Simba and Timon.
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Miya wrote

Ready, aim ....Oh, Okay.
  4. Southall wrote
    Demetris wrote

Have you heard the Prague Philharmonic recording of highlights from the three scores? It's a pretty fantastic performance and a good selection of great cues. punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  5. DINOSAUR - JNH

From the good old Hollywood scoring days!!!! Wonderful ! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It's not that old wink

n.p. JAMES HORNER - Beyond Borders

Nice, relaxing music with a touch of ethnic elements. Kinda like Zimmer's BEYOND RANGOON, only better.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Atham wrote
    Miya wrote

Ready, aim ....Oh, Okay.

kill

NP: Kids Return - Joe Hisaishi

I love this cool music. punk It's different from his famous Miyazaki scores, but it's still very Hisaishi.

Meet Again
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stwgIQiY6-I

Kids Return
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=544bkI1hmGk
    (look at the comment section... "John Hisaishi" lol)
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    lol Miya! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    JOHN CORIGLIANO - The Red Violin

Spectacular, thematically outstanding and overall one of the best scores ever written for sure. Lovely movie. Shame i can't get to like the rest of the work by this composer.
  6. Eric wrote

A rousing score !
    Saddle up ! cool

The overture from Silva's compilation is brilliant and that's about all I know of it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Eric wrote

A rousing score !
    Saddle up ! cool

The overture from Silva's compilation is brilliant and that's about all I know of it.

I've never really cared for that score, maybe I need to dust it off and give it another try?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  7. Vangelis - L'Apocalypse des Animaux

God, this is beautiful.

I've heard it's a TV score, so I am putting it here. Creation du Monde is a beautiful work of art.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Vangelis - L'Apocalypse des Animaux

God, this is beautiful.

I've heard it's a TV score, so I am putting it here. Creation du Monde is a beautiful work of art.

Great album! beer
  8. James Horner - Apollo 13

I love this score. One of my James Horner all-time favourites. Master Alarm, Into the LEM, Carbon Dioxide, Four More Amps - highlight after highlight.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : BILLION DOLLAR BRAIN - Richard Rodney Bennett

SUPERB!

OPENING TITLES
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Eric wrote

A rousing score !
    Saddle up ! cool

I've never really cared for that score, maybe I need to dust it off and give it another try?

You do!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Vilamor - Zeltia Montes

Absolutely lovely score, this. I'd never heard anything by the composer before so didn't really know what to expect - and am seriously impressed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I just purchased her The Happets In The Kingdom Of The Sun, which is great fun.
    (But it's for an animated children's film, so fluffy zaniness abounding. Just saying.)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn