• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2013 edited
    Southall wrote
    Scribe wrote
    NP: Defiance - Bear McCreary

Its really loud and relentless and RC-ish. Not sure that anyone here will enjoy it.

Is it just the music from the video game, or is it from the tv show as well?

What I have is just from the video game and is typical synth-heavy video game stuff combined with Bear's typical pounding drums that are becoming rather headache inducing after an hour of the same thing.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  1. In that regard McCreary reminds me of Maurice Jarre.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2013
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Planet Ocean - Armand Amar

First listen. A generous offering from the Long Distance label (release runs to almost 90 minutes). It's orchestral and sounds as though it's going to maintain the high level of quality that you usually associate with Amar's documentary scoring.

Want! Didn't know about that, thanks for the headsup Alan!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Scribe wrote
    Southall wrote
    Scribe wrote
    NP: Defiance - Bear McCreary

Its really loud and relentless and RC-ish. Not sure that anyone here will enjoy it.

Is it just the music from the video game, or is it from the tv show as well?

What I have is just from the video game and is typical synth-heavy video game stuff combined with Bear's typical pounding drums that are becoming rather headache inducing after an hour of the same thing.

What did i say about the quality of his scores going downhill after BSG? smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Demetris wrote

It truly sounds as if it were written by a protege of a protege of Hans Zimmer rather than a protege of Elmer Bernstein. If I heard a few minutes of it without having any idea what it was, I would probably guess it was written by Djawadi.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Quick fame, grabbing all the projects he can get (which are quite a lot more year by year), quick money, lots of scores for more major projects and games, younger directors and producers wanting that exact crappy sound they ask from all the young composers. Lethal combination. What Brian Tyler did a couple of years back (and more) and which consumed him and ended fast, only his generic outcome was generally far more enjoyable than Bear's.
  2. Scribe wrote
    Demetris wrote

It truly sounds as if it were written by a protege of a protege of Hans Zimmer rather than a protege of Elmer Bernstein. If I heard a few minutes of it without having any idea what it was, I would probably guess it was written by Djawadi.

Yet I liked both his "Caprica" pilot score and the recent "BSG Blood and Chrome".
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Demetris wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Planet Ocean - Armand Amar

First listen. A generous offering from the Long Distance label (release runs to almost 90 minutes). It's orchestral and sounds as though it's going to maintain the high level of quality that you usually associate with Amar's documentary scoring.

Want! Didn't know about that, thanks for the headsup Alan!

Yup, thanks for the heads up! It's a few years I heard from him. I see it's on Spotify, will have a listen for sure!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Iron Man 3 - Brian Tyler

First listen... great new theme! Tyler should have probably scored these films from the beginning. I mean, a rock star composing music for another rock star. Perfect fit.

EDIT: HOLY SHIT! shocked "Attack on 10880 Malibu Point" punk

Your expectations going into this score should be loud, head banging fun with a gigantic orchestra backed by big heavy guitars and a huge percussion section!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Iron Man 3 - Brian Tyler

First listen... great new theme! Tyler should have probably scored these films from the beginning. I mean, a rock star composing music for another rock star. Perfect fit.

EDIT: HOLY SHIT! shocked "Attack on 10880 Malibu Point" punk

Your expectations going into this score should be loud, head banging fun with a gigantic orchestra backed by big heavy guitars and a huge percussion section!

-Erik-

The main theme is BRILLIANT! The anvil rocks!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Stark , dive bombers and Hot Pepper are great pieces too. Djawadi and Debney easily ate his dust with this one smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Well, I think Debney's Goldsmith inspired "I Am Iron Man" is still the best thing ever written for the series but Tyler's score as a whole is way more satisfying than the first two even though it's rather derivative!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeap, nothing new, but wholly fun!
  3. I am also very happy with Tyler's score, especially how he got better with lyrical material and the theme is corking.

Can You Dig It is just plain hilarious masterpiece.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Demetris wrote
    Quick fame, grabbing all the projects he can get (which are quite a lot more year by year), quick money, lots of scores for more major projects and games, younger directors and producers wanting that exact crappy sound they ask from all the young composers. Lethal combination. What Brian Tyler did a couple of years back (and more) and which consumed him and ended fast, only his generic outcome was generally far more enjoyable than Bear's.

There may be some truth to that, but I do love Human Target. That was one of the biggest soundtrack surprises in my experience.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Demetris wrote

And that's where you would be wrong. But we've been over this before.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I think there's a subtle difference between a decline in quality and never being able to top your first big gig (although Human Target is a pretty good contender). I still enjoy hearing anything by McCreary!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Independence Day David Arnold

This is probably my favourite score. I say probably because I don't know, I have no free will. But it is good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ Great choice!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It's one of those scores that makes me think "Oh yes, this is why I love film music." Can't be bad.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Go Steven! punk punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    It's one of my all time favourites!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    .....and Erik! punk punk wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2013
    Steven wrote
    I think there's a subtle difference between a decline in quality and never being able to top your first big gig (although Human Target is a pretty good contender). I still enjoy hearing anything by McCreary!

I think its mostly that he is taking projects that have little opportunity for any sort of emotion whatsoever. BSG was good mainly because of the really beautiful emotional parts. And the pounding-drums action music was unique back then, not so anymore. His actual action writing is as dense and interesting as ever, but devoid of any memorable themes.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Iron Man 3 - Brian Tyler

It's fine, almost exactly what I expected from this composer doing this project. Lots of overly loud and unfocused action music, a decent main theme and an album that's about forty minutes too long. It's probably the best of the three scores but its only real competition was the second, which I wasn't a fan of.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: WYATT EARP - James Newton Howard

One of his best, undoubtedly. I'm looking forward to the expanded release, although I can't remember the film enough to know what's missing from the original CD. Still...

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ All I want are those brilliant end credits!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: THE GREEN MILE - Thomas Newman

I felt like listening to something melancholy. And this is about as hopelessly sad as it gets. Coffey On The Mile still riddles me with goosebumps. So so so draining.
  4. 42 - Mark Isham

It's quiet. Very quiet. Handfuls of tracks go by with very little happening. There are a couple cues that I enjoyed - the final track in particular. Isham hasn't really impressed me in the last few years. It seems like a lot of his music is just like this. Quiet and noble, but mostly just quiet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    christopher wrote
    42 - Mark Isham

It's quiet. Very quiet. Handfuls of tracks go by with very little happening. There are a couple cues that I enjoyed - the final track in particular. Isham hasn't really impressed me in the last few years. It seems like a lot of his music is just like this. Quiet and noble, but mostly just quiet.

The last track, the suite, is amazing.