• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2013
    Actually, I kind wish Zimmer would follow Morris' blueprint and not tamper with his orchestral recordings by doubling with synth or samples. I love that I can actually hear a REAL orchestra pounding away. And the sound quality is very attractive!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Oh, it is! I agree with you entirely, the sound and arrangements are spectacular. It's the actual music that bothers me. The so-dated, over-the-top militaristic over-patriotic cheesy Zimmer-esque americana from the 90's that makes the very bad movie even more ridiculous.

Anyway, eager to hear your comments on the MAN OF STEEL score snippet from the new trailer.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Demetris wrote
    Glad OLYMPUS has its fans wink I can only imagine though, the magnitude and kind of bashing Zimmer would get if he wrote and released such a score in the year 2013 wink

I, for one, would love it if Zimmer wrote a score like this. Dumb fun power anthems > "deep" one note themes and brooding.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Well, I doubt I will ever see OLYMPUS HAS FALLEN so I have no issues with the film ruining the score for me. wink And I actually like the over the top nature of the Morris' music!

As for MAN OF STEEL. Great trailer and I liked the music as well. Zimmer's score is probably my most anticipated score of the year.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Superman: The Movie - John Williams

The best comic book film with the best comic book film score!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Well, I doubt I will ever see OLYMPUS HAS FALLEN so I have no issues with the film ruining the score for me. wink And I actually like the over the top nature of the Morris' music!

As for MAN OF STEEL. Great trailer and I liked the music as well. Zimmer's score is probably my most anticipated score of the year.

-Erik-

My friend, believe me, you are SO lucky for not seeing the film!

Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Glad OLYMPUS has its fans wink I can only imagine though, the magnitude and kind of bashing Zimmer would get if he wrote and released such a score in the year 2013 wink

I, for one, would love it if Zimmer wrote a score like this. Dumb fun power anthems > "deep" one note themes and brooding.

What's wrong with intelligent film scoring, for a change? wink I think from the 90's until mid 00's, we have a lot of such scores to 'satisfy' our whatever relevant needs wink
  2. Demetris wrote
    What's wrong with intelligent film scoring, for a change? wink I think from the 90's until mid 00's, we have a lot of such scores to 'satisfy' our whatever relevant needs wink

You're assuming it's intelligent. I see. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

You know I agree with you. beer

I wonder, with the limitations of special effects in the late 70's, whether much of the heart and story of this film would have been crushed had special effects been as advanced as they are now back then? It's fair to say a totally different story would have been written.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

You know I agree with you. beer

I wonder, with the limitations of special effects in the late 70's, whether much of the heart and story of this film would have been crushed had special effects been as advanced as they are now back then? It's fair to say a totally different story would have been written.

But wasn't the film quite a spectacle even back then? It was a big budget blockbuster coming off of the success of Star Wars. And there's a lot of "special" effects in the movie. However, the effects aren't the modern day throw everything into one shot plus the kitchen sink that plagues most blockbusters these days.

What's so great about the original Superman is that they didn't ignore the story/script. Believing a man can fly was, at the time, special but believing the story made the effects that much more special. Now only if we could edit out the spinning around the world time travel bullshit! crazy Urgh!

-Erik-

PS - Williams' "The Flying Sequence" sans cheese ball Kidder voice over. :drool:
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I was there Erik and went to see it on release, yes, it was THE big event movie that year ( 1978 ). I think a lot more of the story and dialogue would have been ditched for tons more special effects if todays standards were applied, just a hypothetical POV wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I don't think you can get away with the Krypton/Smallville/Fortress of Solitude portions of the original film in a blockbuster today.

-Erik-
  3. NP: Superman - John Williams (VS 1998)
    Joel McNeely & The SNO

What a f****** great recording!

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

The Dark Knight beats the red pants off Superman, but I suppose it depends on whether you prefer the more camp fluff of the latter, or the more serious, psychological tone of the former. For me, there's no competition; Nolan's film is better in every respect (aside from the music).

Older does not mean better! In fact I'd argue that newer is generally better, it's just that we forgot about the bad movies from the past, and complain about the new ones in the present. There's so many things that older movies wouldn't be able to get away with today. Although I'm hesitant to say audiences are more intelligent, I think they're/we're definitely more savvy (i.e. audiences notice more).

That said, my favourite period is still, perhaps, the 80s - simply because that was the period in which most of the films I first saw (and stuck with me) are from.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    The Dark Knight beats the red pants off Superman, but I suppose it depends on whether you prefer the more camp fluff of the latter, or the more serious, psychological tone of the former. For me, there's no competition; Nolan's film is better in every respect (aside from the music).

I like The Dark Knight a lot but I get far more enjoyment out of Superman. The opening title scroll alone beats the utility belt right off of The Dark Knight.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Okay, you've got me there...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I agree with Steven. THE DARK KNIGHT is IMO a much better film than SUPERMAN, but that latter is no 'slouch' either. It is one of the classic comic book movies for a reason. I love how Donner infuses every segment of the story with its own set of magic and 'atmosphere'. Makes it almost out to be several movies wrapped into one.

I obviously also have a very nostalgic connection to the 79 SUPERMAN, but I try as best as I can to hold that away from any such comparisons. It's a secondary concern.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I don't like Superman at all. No appeal to me (well, the 35-year-old me) whatsoever.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

I like The Dark Knight a lot but I get far more enjoyment out of Superman. The opening title scroll alone beats the utility belt right off of The Dark Knight.

-Erik-

For me, the dark knight trilogy is the perfect comic book movie series and it will probably be years until it's surpassed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    IMO, Nolan's Batman Trilogy had one outstanding film (TDK), one Ok film (BB) and one unbelievable load of tripe that almost ruined the two films that came before it! (TDKR)

Now that you brought it up... best comic book film series? Spider-Man really had something going for it then Spider-Man 3 was released. But at least I enjoyed Spider-Man 1 and 2 equally and very much prefer both over Batman Begins.

Man, I don't think there has ever been a "perfect" comic book series of films. There's always one film that ruins it for the rest of them no matter how good the previous films were.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: iTunes on shuffle

It makes me realize, once again, how versatile my collection is. I'm not saying that to brag, just as a factual observation. It's fun for a while, but then it eventually wears out its welcome when you want something more coherent. Rammstein to Bach to musicals to harpscicord baroque music to gritty jazz to electropop can only sustain you for so long.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Star Trek III - James Horner

That's right - number three.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2013
    NP: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 ~ Alexandre Despat

I've played Part 1 before. Music helps me stay awake. God knows what else I'm going to listen to today!
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Erik Woods wrote

Man, I don't think there has ever been a "perfect" comic book series of films. There's always one film that ruins it for the rest of them no matter how good the previous films were.

-Erik-

IMHO, Nolan's Batman Trilogy is that perfect one.
  4. Demetris wrote
    For me, the dark knight trilogy is the perfect comic book movie series and it will probably be years until it's surpassed.

This.

The only superhero film that comes close is Unbreakable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Erik Woods wrote
    IMO, Nolan's Batman Trilogy had one outstanding film (TDK), one Ok film (BB) and one unbelievable load of tripe that almost ruined the two films that came before it! (TDKR)

Agree completely, I do.
    I think the definitive version of Superman is from Superman: The Movie (although I certainly will go and see the reboot), and the definitive version of Batman -as much as I enjoy the Tim Burton two- is the one from The Dark Knight. But these are based on the appearance in those films, not the film series (although both Christopher Reeve as well as Christian Bale walk on water as far as their interpretations are concerned, which are definitely definitive). But in either series there are some stinkers.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I agree with Erik and Martijn.

What a shame that most of these films ( superheroes ) have such poor scores.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Demetris wrote

This.

I think UNBREAKABLE is a better film than THE DARK KNIGHT ( the first Bat film is okay and Batman Rises was outright shit ) and it's not even worth mentioning JNH's superlative score in the same sentence as Zimmer's junk.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Demetris wrote

This.

I think UNBREAKABLE is a better film than THE DARK KNIGHT ( the first Bat film is okay and Batman Rises was outright shit ) and it's not even worth mentioning JNH's superlative score in the same sentence as Zimmer's junk.

He, he...I laugh in YOUR FACE!

THE DARK KNIGHT is IMO a vastly superior score to JNH's UNBREAKABLE (even though I wouldn't call the latter 'junk'....far from it).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2013 edited
    Oh My, it seems i might have have given dear Tim, D-itis!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    I agree with Erik and Martijn.

What a shame that most of these films ( superheroes ) have such poor scores.

Supes takes it. No competition even starts to begin to show the budding inkling of a suggestion of even being considered coming to within ten feet of being called close to that one.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn