• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2013
    Immanuel Kant was a real pissant
    Who was very rarely stable.
    Heidegger, Heidegger was a boozy beggar
    Who could think you under the table.
    David Hume could out-consume
    Schopenhauer and Hegel,
    And Wittgenstein was a beery swine
    Who was just as schloshed as Schlegel.

There's nothing Nietzsche couldn't teach ya'
    'Bout the raising of the wrist.
    Socrates himself was permanently pissed...

John Stuart Mill, of his own free will,
    On half a pint of shandy was particularly ill.
    Plato, they say, could stick it away;
    Half a crate of whiskey every day.
    Aristotle, Aristotle was a bugger for the bottle,
    Hobbes was fond of his dram,
    And Rene Descartes was a drunken fart:
    "I drink, therefore I am"

Yes, Socrates, himself, is particularly missed;
    A lovely little thinker but a bugger when he's pissed.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    biggrin applause drink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Southall wrote
    Emmanuel Kant was a real pissant.

And this is where I draw the line! Watch you mouth, will you? For I will not tolerate such sacrilege any longer.

wink dizzy spin kiss wave beer
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. Haben Sie noch Kant gekannt,
    der mit einer Hand
    auf dem Lokusrand
    Handstand stand.

Now try to translate that!
    •  
      CommentAuthorFeliz
    Chris Tilton - Sim City - I like it a lot! Alternately relaxing and pretty epic. smile

Timmer wrote
    NP : BLUE PLANET - George Fenton

cool

I just listened to some of his score for Planet Earth yesterday for the first time! punk
  3. applause
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2013
    Feliz wrote
    Chris Tilton - Sim City - I like it a lot! Alternately relaxing and pretty epic. smile

I'm listening to it now too. It's very breezy and I love how the budgets on games are increasingly allowing use of live instrumentation. There might be too much music here (at least a couple of hours) but I'm betting it all serves its purpose in-game very well.

(Which I'd play except I'm much happier to stick with my older offline only SimCity 4. wink)
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2013 edited
    Game of thrones (Ramin Djawadi)

Meh. I adore the main theme, but besides that there are only two tracks on the album I enjoy (King of the north & Finale). Less than 6 minutes of enjoyment. Hence the "Meh".

Peter smile
  4. plindboe wrote

Meh. I adore the main theme, but besides that there are only two tracks on the album I enjoy (King of the north & Finale). Less than 6 minutes of enjoyment. Hence the "Meh".

Peter smile

I thought the season two album was a huge improvement over the first one.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Atham wrote
    You can't exclude Quo Vadis from that list!

Ok, Quo Vadis too then, but no more!.... Oh, I just realized that The thief of Bagdad will have to be included as well, being so bloody awesome...

I just realized that I'm going to spend the rest of the day listening to Rozsa.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Captain Future wrote
    plindboe wrote

Peter smile

I thought the season two album was a huge improvement over the first one.

Volker

Glad to hear it. I'll try it out in a near future.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Btw, does anyone know whether the melody from The lord's prayer from Rozsa's King of kings is by Rozsa? I realize that the text is traditional Christian stuff, but I don't know about the melody.

I find this piece, especially the version on the compilation album "Ben-hur: The essential Miklos Rózsa" to be one of the most exquisite pieces in history.

Peter smile
  5. plindboe wrote
    Btw, does anyone know whether the melody from The lord's prayer from Rozsa's King of kings is by Rozsa? I realize that the text is traditional Christian stuff, but I don't know about the melody.

I find this piece, especially the version on the compilation album "Ben-hur: The essential Miklos Rózsa" to be one of the most exquisite pieces in history.

Peter smile

I never saw that piece credited as "public domain", but always attributed to Rozsa. Occasionally he did use traditional melodies from his native Hungary. Yet I don' think that was the case here. Of the many musical versions of "The Lord's Prayer" I always found this to be the most beautiful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    I'm glad my yesterday Rozsa spree brought others along too! wink

Today I'm in Harry Potter mood so I've started with the brilliant Prisoner of Azkaban. Jazzy, Baroque, just excellent! Window to the Past and Buckbeak's Flight have always be among my favourites. I'll go on with Doyle, for who could skip over Harry in the Winter and finish with the HP7 soundtracks. Desplat, Desplat, Desplat... nothing more to say I think!
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    plindboe wrote
    Atham wrote
    You can't exclude Quo Vadis from that list!

Ok, Quo Vadis too then, but no more!.... Oh, I just realized that The thief of Bagdad will have to be included as well, being so bloody awesome...

I just realized that I'm going to spend the rest of the day listening to Rozsa.

Peter smile

You could do worse. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Captain Future wrote
    plindboe wrote

Peter smile

I never saw that piece credited as "public domain", but always attributed to Rozsa. Occasionally he did use traditional melodies from his native Hungary. Yet I don' think that was the case here. Of the many musical versions of "The Lord's Prayer" I always found this to be the most beautiful.

You're quite right, Volker: the melody is Rozsa's own, and it's beautiful and powerful enough to nigh bring even this staunch atheist to his knees.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  6. NP: Lawrence of Arabia (Silva, 1989)
    The London Philharmonia Orchestra conducted by Tony Bremner

As much as I like the complete re-recording Tadlow released in 2010, I do find it a bit trying for its duration. Therefore I like to fall back on this recording that gives a more condensed yet well rounded representation of the score. Sound and performance are first rate.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Captain Future wrote
    Haben Sie noch Kant gekannt,
    der mit einer Hand
    auf dem Lokusrand
    Handstand stand.

Now try to translate that!

Did ya ken Kant
    Who canned Hume but shan't
    without full due diligence
    prove empirical impotence
    So maybe Kant want but he can't?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    How lovely and very refreshing it is to see so many comments on this thread for a composer who's name isn't hans zimmer, The colossal talents of Miklos Rozsa are sorely missed.

Anyway, I thought I'd join in by playing this shamelessly neglected ( at least by me ) romantic thriller score...

NP : TIME AFTER TIME - Miklos Rozsa

love
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  7. Myself, I am listening to Rozsa very seldom. To me he demands so much attention while listening and the intensity of music is so big that while I can't imagine listening to him in a selective form (as in, a programmed album rather than a complete and chronological one; I think Rozsa simply *soars* on a structural level, so when you listen to his music you have to and you *are* drawn to every single thematic/orchestration nuance he gives to support the narrative, rather than purely melodic or something like that, I think Rozsa's genius is mostly prevalent in, no matter how great they are, how he uses his thematic material rather than what it is like), I can't really grasp a whole 2 CD (or 3 CD) album in one go, because unless I am in a specific mood, my attention span isn't just that.

That said, I can take 2 CD albums in one go with no issues, usually, like Days of Heaven (or Broken Arrow for that matter). It's just the sheer intensity of most of Golden Age music that makes me appreciate the music a big deal rather than listen to it often for my own enjoyment. But when I am in the mood for it, it hardly can't get better. Granted, my preferred Golden Age composer is Bernard Herrmann. And, sometimes, Alfred Newman.
  8. Timmer wrote
    How lovely and very refreshing it is to see so many comments on this thread for a composer who's name isn't hans zimmer, The colossal talents of Miklos Rozsa are sorely missed.

Anyway, I thought I'd join in by playing this shamelessly neglected ( at least by me ) romantic thriller score...

NP : TIME AFTER TIME - Miklos Rozsa

love

I thought Time after Time was by Cyndi Lauper? wink

What I am missing are composers that have been trained and place themselves within the broad tradition of symphonic composition. Today composers start out as film composers which leads to much more generic film music as these composers relate themselves to film music only and not to classical music in general.
  9. Because film music became more of a career choice of its own. So if you want the dough and compose, after you graduate from music studies, it's obvious you'll go into film, I think.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    NP: Bram Stoker's Dracula - Wojciech Kilar

We've talked about it many times especially with Tim. It always creates in me a storm of different, powerful emotions. A storm... that's the word to explain it.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
  10. NP: Harry Potter and The Chamber of Secrets - John Williams, William Ross arr.

Awsome!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2013 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Harry Potter and The Chamber of Secrets - John Williams, William Ross arr.

Awsome!

Such a suite score.

Don't need a coat. It's warm outside.
  11. Hans Zimmer - The Thin Red Line

Continuing with my Terrence Malick scores series with my all-time favourite score. I'm still finding new things in it.
  12. James Horner - The New World

I finished The Thin Red Line on Silence, which I tend to do, because God Yu Tekem Laef Blong Mi and Sit Back & Relax get me a bit out of the mood. I mostly do that, though I often listen to the whole album.

The New World is another fascinating project musically. From the purely divine beauty of Days of Heaven through the atmospheric and deeply emotional bliss of The Thin Red Line (which I find in a funny way very life-affirming even if the score has a huge sense of personal tragedy) to the atmospheric and ethereal connection James Horner gives to nature in this score.

The New World is a film I haven't seen yet. I do have to though, same with Days of Heaven. I wonder which philosophical themes are covered in these movies. The relation between nature and Horner's score, due to its, mostly, lack of presence in the film has to be analyzed on its own and it's something I'd like to do one day.
  13. Tim

Take a listen to this and see if you recognise it. I haven't heard it in years. It's link with film & TV will become plain once it has been identified (not the title of the song or the composer but more a link to a far more famous piece of music).

The piece featured in the video was actually used as a theme for the BBC's African Service.

http://youtu.be/9btxWdQmZ50

(Anyone else can provide an answer if they wish, I just think that Tim may have the best chance of getting it.)

As I mentioned, I haven't heard this in years. But when it first came out I played it constantly.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  14. NP: To the Wonder (Hanan Townshend)

It's interesting - this trend in Malick's towards a very sparse, atmospheric music. Horner's New World is the only score in his last 4 films that really bucks the general move towards what might be called 'musical whiteness'. (Not a cultural reference there, purely a colouristic one.) Townshend's score is not quite as sparse and reserved as Desplat's for Tree of Life, I think... or maybe it's even more so in some ways, as the tenser material does not feel as tense as it did in Desplat's hands. 'Marina's Theme' feels a bit more emotionally committed than most of the material in that score... but we're still out in very emotionally reserved territory. Favourite so far is 'Toil'.

Of course, who knows if any of this is actually in the film. It would be easy for some of this stuff to be there without being noticeable. But I do wonder at this stage whether Malick's next film from here -- assuming it isn't filled with indie rock music (which connects to the subject matter) -- might not be scored completely with long chords from Francisco Lupica. Marvelously atmospheric, but almost completely shapeless.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2013
    Sorry Alan, somehow that one bypassed me, I don't recognise it.