• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2013
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: The Salamander - Jerry Goldsmith

Prometheus Records latest re-recording with the Tadlow Music team is nothing short of extraordinary. I can't stop listening to it!

-Erik-

I've heard quite a few clips of this and it sounds awesome. A must have for sure.

Some of the choral stuff reminds me of Trial Run/The Second Coming from The Final Conflict.

Very much what I thought when I heard the choral bits. And as Southall points out, the synths really do sound good (in that they sound appropriately dated, but at the same time not shit). The action actually reminds me of his later scores, perhaps early 90s Goldsmith? I love it. But then that's not much coming from a Goldsmith fanatic (but it is good - and that you can believe).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
  1. Earlier today I played...

OBLIVION - M83

I think this is pretty good. It's not as memorable as what Daft Punk did for Tron, but I like the overall feel of it.

Now I'm playing...

OLYMPUS HAS FALLEN - Trevor Morris

I like this less. Apart from the noble opening cue, the rest of this so far pretty unmemorable. Lots of actionish stuff and music that really wants to convey how intense the film it doesn't really do much for me on its own (and probably was never meant to!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Loved M83's score, hated OLYMPUS. On cd it was good for the first listen, prior to watching the film; when i did watch the film, i couldn't play the score ever again. As i wrote some time ago in crappybook, with Olympus has fallen, Antoine Fuqua has established him self as one of the most bullshit directors of all time. Such idiotic redneck propaganda and 80's - 90's style xenophobia, it really made me curious if they are people who actually believe this shit and take it for granted. Perhaps Antoine Fuqua is the only idiot who saw Team America:world police and didnt get the joke behind it? Who knows wink As, for the score, Trevor Morris, who has otherwise shown some very good premise through the years, now proves he can be the best and at the same time - most shallow Zimmer clone around. How I want to forget I ever saw and heard this crap
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Demetris wrote
    As i wrote some time ago in crappybook, with Olympus has fallen, Antoine Fuqua has established him self as one of the most bullshit directors of all time. Such idiotic redneck propaganda and 80's - 90's style xenophobia, it really made me curious if they are people who actually believe this shit and take it for granted. Perhaps Antoine Fuqua is the only idiot who saw Team America:world police and didnt get the joke behind it? Who knows wink As, for the score, Trevor Morris, who has otherwise shown some very good premise through the years, now proves he can be the best and at the same time - most shallow Zimmer clone around. How I want to forget I ever saw and heard this crap

I haven't seen the film and don't ever want to, but just from listening to the music and reading the track titles I could tell it was going to be that kind of film... vomit
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2013 edited
    NP : BRAVEHEART - James Horner

A wonderful score that probably gets in my top 10 of his best scores. I really fancy seeing the film again despite it's ridiculous historical inaccurasies, it's a fun romp.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: GREAT COMPOSERS (Georges Delerue)

The Varese 2CD set which I sometimes put on instead of the massive 6CD set....succinct and to-the-point.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Alexandre Desplat - The Tree of Life

Another of my personal scores. The movie was great, though possibly misunderstood as banal. Knowing all the potential contexts (from philosophy up to the Book of Job) makes it somehow less banal. From what I know it was a very autobiographical project for the director. Jessica Chastain in this one was a pure revelation.

Desplat worked on the score without knowing the film and actually he said he was aware that most of his music would be unused in the final film and that he was writing to help with the editing, call it a somehow more complex temp-track. Beautiful, restrained (actually), with some lighter and darker (even if harder to listen) parts, sometimes even innocent.

Circles is an amazing track, though my favourites are definitely River, Fatherhood and Motherhood.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  3. Thor wrote

The Varese 2CD set which I sometimes put on instead of the massive 6CD set....succinct and to-the-point.

I have in my collection the London Sessions CDs (Varese) which I play rather often
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    Thor wrote

I have in my collection the London Sessions CDs (Varese) which I play rather often

I believe the tracks on the 2CD set are pulled from those earlier "Sessions" CD's.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Demetris wrote
    Perhaps Antoine Fuqua is the only idiot who saw Team America:world police and didnt get the joke behind it? Who knows wink

biggrin

True, though I think Team America's main point is to make fun of actors and dumb action movies. The political backdrop is more of a side point, relevant and hilarious though it is. And what a brilliant film it is!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2013
    HANAN TOWNSHEND - To the wonder

Sounds exactly like what a post-tree of life Mallick film would need. But why didn't he re-hire Zimmer for this? It's essentially a modern re-take on THE THIN RED LINE, slightly more hopeful and with more woodwinds.
  4. When I asked Hans if he wouldn't work with Malick again, he said "Not, if we are to remain friends!"
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  5. NP: eXistenZ - Howard Shore

One of Shore's best efforts - but one that's not really talked about much. To me, it's such a creepy score. I love it.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  6. Wow! iTunes is shuffling up both eXistenZ and Chris Young's Jennifer 8 tonight!! A couple of personal favourites.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  7. Demetris wrote
    Loved M83's score, hated OLYMPUS. On cd it was good for the first listen, prior to watching the film; when i did watch the film, i couldn't play the score ever again. As i wrote some time ago in crappybook, with Olympus has fallen, Antoine Fuqua has established him self as one of the most bullshit directors of all time. Such idiotic redneck propaganda and 80's - 90's style xenophobia, it really made me curious if they are people who actually believe this shit and take it for granted. Perhaps Antoine Fuqua is the only idiot who saw Team America:world police and didnt get the joke behind it? Who knows wink As, for the score, Trevor Morris, who has otherwise shown some very good premise through the years, now proves he can be the best and at the same time - most shallow Zimmer clone around. How I want to forget I ever saw and heard this crap

Seems like a case of the film souring you towards the score. I try not to let that sort of thing get in the way of my enjoyment of good music...otherwise I'd never be able to listen to any of them Twilight scores, now would I?
  8. On the subject of Olympus Has Fallen, I think that the 10-minute cue "White House: Ground Attack" is awesome.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2013 edited
    But it's not a good score, it's in fact the opposite. Makes a ridiculous film even more by being overblown and cheesy. And it's all Zimmer copy-paste, nothing to rave about, neither in the film or as a standalone listening experience.
  9. Demetris wrote
    But it's not a good score, it's in fact the opposite. Makes a ridiculous film even more by being overblown and cheesy. And it's all Zimmer copy-paste, nothing to rave about, neither in the film or as a standalone listening experience.

Well, you did say you enjoyed your first listen before you saw the movie, so it made me wonder whether you might still like it if you'd never seen it at all. Personally I think it's decent, nothing special, but has some enjoyable cues. That electronic rhythm that pulsates through most of "White House: Ground Attack" is very effective, I thought...felt like a meticulous, ruthlessly planned attack was underway, which I imagine is the idea (haven't seen the film because 'murkin jingoism makes me break out in hives rolleyes ). I like Zimmer copypaste if it's done reasonably well, which I thought it was here.
  10. So, it's not a good score "as heard in the film"? Luckily then it's been released and can be enjoyed away from that toxic film then as a separate listening experience? wink

Oh, and did I mention that "White House: Ground Attack" is an awesome track? Or am I just raving?
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Enemy Mine - Maurice Jarre

I always wanted the original CD. Now that I have the expanded edition, I'm exactly sure why!
    It's pretty decent though - including the synth-dominant parts which, in Jarre's case, are usually dire.
    The main theme is great and the first couple of minutes of 'Before the Holy Drac Council' provide the very best action music of the score.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Tad the Lost Explorer - Zacharias M. de la Riva

Very lively, full-blooded action adventure score for what is obviously an animated Indiana Jones homage. No outstandingly memorable theme to speak of but the action music is nearly always interesting, especially as it increases in the second half of the album.
  11. David OC wrote
    Enemy Mine - Maurice Jarre

I always wanted the original CD. Now that I have the expanded edition, I'm exactly sure why!
    It's pretty decent though - including the synth-dominant parts which, in Jarre's case, are usually dire.
    The main theme is great and the first couple of minutes of 'Before the Holy Drac Council' provide the very best action music of the score.

Did you manage to get a decent running order out of that album presentation? I didn't. The sound is great. I own both, the original and the expanded CD.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    No, I didn't mate, seems like a bit of a mess with the synth and orchestral parts all interwoven in the running order. How do you rate the score in general? I must admit I fell in love with the main theme the more I heard it.

Now starting on The Woman in Black - Marco Beltrami

Feels like a dour, slightly bland score so far but it's early going.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    David OC wrote

Very lively, full-blooded action adventure score for what is obviously an animated Indiana Jones homage. No outstandingly memorable theme to speak of but the action music is nearly always interesting, especially as it increases in the second half of the album.
    David OC wrote

It's great! I am glad more people are finding out about this! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    So, it's not a good score "as heard in the film"? Luckily then it's been released and can be enjoyed away from that toxic film then as a separate listening experience? wink

Oh, and did I mention that "White House: Ground Attack" is an awesome track? Or am I just raving?

I did, but as a first impression. It was before i started noticing the motifs, the arrangements, the blandness of it all; which became evident by repeated listens and of course via the hideous movie experience at the cinema. Well, don't blame me, they're film scores; they are meant to be heard through the films as well wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    NP: BATTLESTAR GALACTICA: BLOOD & CHROME - Bear McCreary

This one gets better with each listen.
    I love the massive "The Last Battle of the Osiris" track!
    Maybe not to some people's taste. But it's BSG. It's Bear. It's what I like! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Tim

Take a listen to this and see if you recognise it. I haven't heard it in years. It's link with film & TV will become plain once it has been identified (not the title of the song or the composer but more a link to a far more famous piece of music).

The piece featured in the video was actually used as a theme for the BBC's African Service.

http://youtu.be/9btxWdQmZ50

(Anyone else can provide an answer if they wish, I just think that Tim may have the best chance of getting it.)

As I mentioned, I haven't heard this in years. But when it first came out I played it constantly.

Paddy Kingsland's "Reg" was the B-side to the BBC Records' release of Ron Grainer's Doctor Who Theme. Released in 1973 as a single I remember playing both the A- and B-side of this record constantly (like you used to do with new records). I don't think that I had heard "Reg" since around that era.

Reg? Never heard of it...but I did find The Fourth Dimension album...and it's great!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    On the subject of Olympus Has Fallen, I think that the 10-minute cue "White House: Ground Attack" is awesome.

Yes it is! This is my 2013 guilty pleasure score. The sound quality (recorded by the great Peter Fuchs) is incredible!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Glad OLYMPUS has its fans wink I can only imagine though, the magnitude and kind of bashing Zimmer would get if he wrote and released such a score in the year 2013 wink