• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2013
    Though having said that it is a sound that is familiar.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. PawelStroinski wrote
    James Horner - The New World
    The New World is a film I haven't seen yet. I do have to though, same with Days of Heaven. I wonder which philosophical themes are covered in these movies. The relation between nature and Horner's score, due to its, mostly, lack of presence in the film has to be analyzed on its own and it's something I'd like to do one day.

I must confess, every time you say this -- that you haven't seen two of his five films, I find that a bit startling. You seem to have such an affinity for his kind of film, are you deliberately pacing yourself in watching his films, or has something about Days and New World put you off? (For me, Days is his most elegant film, while New World has the most vibrant heart of any of his films in the character of Pocahontas.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Jennifer 8 - Christopher Young

Great to revisit this excellent thriller score. That wonderful main theme certainly has a way of working its way under your skin. It's piano based- and in a very distinct Chris Young way in that he used this method as a template for so many thriller scores that followed. Not sure this expanded version offers a hell of a lot in the way of spectacular previously unreleased material but it's a quality score either way. I especially love 'See How They Run'.
  2. NP: Les Maîtres du Temps (Time Masters) - Jean-Pierre Bourtayre (1982)

https://soundcloud.com/roluron/lesmaitresdutemps
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    The Rat Race - Elmer Bernstein

Not bad at all. Another classic jazzy Bernstein main theme with a nice - underused - love theme to compliment it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    franz_conrad wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    The New World is a film I haven't seen yet. I do have to though, same with Days of Heaven. I wonder which philosophical themes are covered in these movies. The relation between nature and Horner's score, due to its, mostly, lack of presence in the film has to be analyzed on its own and it's something I'd like to do one day.

I must confess, every time you say this -- that you haven't seen two of his five films, I find that a bit startling.

I thought the same. I'm not a Malick fan at all, but I've still seen 4 of them.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Stavroula wrote
    I'm glad my yesterday Rozsa spree brought others along too! wink

Me too. Had a day filled with great music.

Peter punk
  3. NP: Myself.

After it was stored away for over a year I thought it was time to screw away with my syntheziser again. So I installed my Virus Access TI Snow table top synth.

Fun. FUN! FUN !!! cool

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    You're playing with yourself?
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Thor wrote
    You're playing with yourself?

Yes, I'm a naughty boy. shame
    And so are you! moon
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2013 edited
    NP : NAPOLEON ET L'EUROPE - Wojciech Kilar

Really enjoying this release love

Have you heard this one Stavi? It's quite Draculaish in a few places.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. franz_conrad wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

I must confess, every time you say this -- that you haven't seen two of his five films, I find that a bit startling. You seem to have such an affinity for his kind of film, are you deliberately pacing yourself in watching his films, or has something about Days and New World put you off? (For me, Days is his most elegant film, while New World has the most vibrant heart of any of his films in the character of Pocahontas.)

Nothing puts me off, I just haven't gotten around to them yet. In case of The New World I have to find it somewhere.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Timmer wrote
    NP : NAPOLEON ET L'EUROPE - Wojciech Kilar

Really enjoying this release love

Have you heard this one Stavi? It's quite Draculaish in a few places.

No, I haven't. But now you mention it I will do so! Thanks for the suggestion Tim! smile
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: TWISTER (Mark Mancina)

Rollicking fun!
    I am extremely serious.
  6. NP: MIAMI VICE - Jan Hammer

Ultimately 80s !!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Is that the 2CD set? I love that set; very dear to me. It got me through my master thesis back in the day.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Very sadly - no: It's "Escape from Television" and "The Best of Miami Vice". The 2CD set had gone out of print when I got aware of it. They ask redicilous money for it now.
    However, said CDs do provide you with the essential cues.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Captain Future wrote
    "Escape from Television"

I love this piece! In fact I've been whistling it all day.

Peter punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE (Max Steiner)

One of the few Steiner scores I actually like. Not as schizophrenic and quote-heavy, at times quite modern in tone. It's the Marco Polo rerecording, of course.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Executive Decision- Jerry Goldsmith

Yeah, huge chunks of this sound like Chain Reaction, U.S. Marshalls and all the other thrillers Goldsmith was writing for at the time... but even when he's uninspired, at least the craftsmanship is still there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ Great theme but not much else. That score, along with Chain Reaction, US Marshalls and Star Trek: Insurrection, featured a modern Goldsmith action sound that I loathed the most!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Salamander - Jerry Goldsmith

Prometheus Records latest re-recording with the Tadlow Music team is nothing short of extraordinary. I can't stop listening to it!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2013 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: The Salamander - Jerry Goldsmith

Prometheus Records latest re-recording with the Tadlow Music team is nothing short of extraordinary. I can't stop listening to it!

-Erik-

I've heard quite a few clips of this and it sounds awesome. A must have for sure.

Some of the choral stuff reminds me of Trial Run/The Second Coming from The Final Conflict.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Salamander - Jerry Goldsmith

Very cool Goldsmith action score. I'm impressed by the recording, too - even the Goldsmith synths sound authentic.
  8. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Tim

Take a listen to this and see if you recognise it. I haven't heard it in years. It's link with film & TV will become plain once it has been identified (not the title of the song or the composer but more a link to a far more famous piece of music).

The piece featured in the video was actually used as a theme for the BBC's African Service.

http://youtu.be/9btxWdQmZ50

(Anyone else can provide an answer if they wish, I just think that Tim may have the best chance of getting it.)

As I mentioned, I haven't heard this in years. But when it first came out I played it constantly.

Paddy Kingsland's "Reg" was the B-side to the BBC Records' release of Ron Grainer's Doctor Who Theme. Released in 1973 as a single I remember playing both the A- and B-side of this record constantly (like you used to do with new records). I don't think that I had heard "Reg" since around that era.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2013
    Erik Woods wrote
    ^ Great theme but not much else. That score, along with Chain Reaction, US Marshalls and Star Trek: Insurrection, featured a modern Goldsmith action sound that I loathed the most!

-Erik-

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of his action music from that period (although Insurrection has its moments) either. He did seem to get out of that rut by the late 90s, though.
  9. I'm actually quite a fan of Insurrection while I dislike Executive Decision and US Marshalls quite vehemently. Never bothered to try Chain Reaction.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  10. Southall wrote
    The Salamander - Jerry Goldsmith

Very cool Goldsmith action score. I'm impressed by the recording, too - even the Goldsmith synths sound authentic.

"Goldsmith synths"? Gulp!

I'm listening to Goldsmith's InnerSpace at the moment and there's quite a bit of Goldsmith synths that are only just on the right side of the line of enjoyment!!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Josh B wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of his action music from that period (although Insurrection has its moments) either. He did seem to get out of that rut by the late 90s, though.

I really like US Marshals - lightyears beyond Executive Decision, I think.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    I really like US Marshals - lightyears beyond Executive Decision, I think.

I've never been able to get into most of it, although I often listen to the finale cue.