• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2013 edited
    Bregt wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Listening to Tyler's new Iron Man 3 theme, it's like a breath of fresh air in the superhero canon of recent "themes". I'm in agreement with Erik here: having a theme that actually goes somewhere, has an actual melodic line, it can be used in a variety of different ways in the score itself. It can be cut up, flipped, reversed in a variety of different ways (if that's what's required).

Tyler's orchestration for the theme reminds me a lot of the NFL Film scores from the likes of David Robidoux: adrenaline-fuelled, propulsive and a strong hint of patriotism. Attributes which I think that Tyler would have wanted for Iron Man's theme?

First listen here. Very energetic and it's a lot more listenable than some of his other action scores. Very cool!

He's evidently maturing as a composer. The short time-off after a couple of years when he'd score everything that was shot around him and had a big budget and finally wore him off, seems to have paid off for the better!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2013
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    On my alphabetically-ordered Horner top five, they are in positions one and two.

What nonsense you speak sir, hast though so soon forgotten the mightiness of KRULL which, as I remember astutely took up places 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 in your list of top 5 Horner scores.

lol

How right you are.
  1. Brian Tyler - Iron Man 3

A lot of pure fun with some emotional depth rarely heard from Brian Tyler. This time the emotional music goes further than just strumming on a guitar with delicate strings involved as he usually tended to do. The action music is more structured than usual too.

The theme is a corker, probably the best theme Brian Tyler ever wrote, though I am torn between this and Far Cry 3 (Further is the closest thing Tyler ever came to a masterpiece if it's not one!). There is a bigger sense of orchestral arrangement in the action music, though a bit sadly maybe missing a bit of the section interplay that was prevalent in Expendables 2. Still, it's exciting, even if a bit heavy-handed, which is understandable, knowing that, I believe, a superhero score need a bit of a heavier hand to handle all the epic character, especially that Iron Man while being very quirky and more like a celebrity (which very much leads to the heavy metal sound used by the previous composers, which I believe was very appropriate for the characer) has a depth and darkness that fits the modern cinema. He isn't exactly the type of campy superhero you could imagine even with Batman (like the Adam West series and its theme). Tyler probably doesn't gloss over the character depth (though I have to wait a few weeks until the movie comes out).

The last track is just plain hilarious fun. Great stuff. And yes, I can dig it.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : BATMAN - Danny Elfman

Just playing some favourite tracks from this, listening to the whole score irritates me.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : SOMMERSBY - Danny Elfman

Gorgeous score! I know Batman is a big fan favourite but I enjoy this score far, farrrrrr more.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Steve Jablonsky - Pain and Gain

Not good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2013
    The Shootist - Elmer Bernstein

Absolutely wonderful. So happy to finally have this on CD.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Asssssasssssin's Creed III Lorne Balfe

It's on the fast food end of the film/tv/game music spectrum, but it's one of the better ones (maybe a Subway?). Very enjoyable indeed, and with a really good theme.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    6-inch Italian herbs and cheese with tuna. Grated cheese, not toasted. Lettuce, tomato, pepper, onion. Light mayo.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ^
    thirded
  3. NP: The Diary of Anne Frank - Alfred Newman

My first listen to this score - and it's another great Newman score.

Taking advantage of the different copyright laws here in Europe (I am assuming that this is the reason) to bring together as much of the music available on iTunes to put together a 45-minute listen: the Red Bitch Music label has recently released a 38-minute album and also grabbing 3 tracks from an old release from Classic Soundtracks Records adds another 7 minutes (mostly versions of the main theme I think).

With the various versions of these copyright laws around the world, you win some (The Diary of Anne Frank) and you lose some (the recent extra Jurassic Park tracks).
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. Red Bitch Records?!
  5. NP: Akira - Yamashiro Shoji, 1987

Brilliant, both film and score!
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: CLOUD ATLAS (Tykwer & co)

There are some good tracks, but overall it's a far cry from their excellent PERFUME.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. PawelStroinski wrote
    Red Bitch Records?!

No. Red Birch Music. wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2013
    Thor wrote
    NP: CLOUD ATLAS (Tykwer & co)

There are some good tracks, but overall it's a far cry from their excellent PERFUME.

yeah
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Brian Tyler - Iron Man 3

A lot of pure fun with some emotional depth rarely heard from Brian Tyler. This time the emotional music goes further than just strumming on a guitar with delicate strings involved as he usually tended to do. The action music is more structured than usual too.

The theme is a corker, probably the best theme Brian Tyler ever wrote, though I am torn between this and Far Cry 3 (Further is the closest thing Tyler ever came to a masterpiece if it's not one!). There is a bigger sense of orchestral arrangement in the action music, though a bit sadly maybe missing a bit of the section interplay that was prevalent in Expendables 2. Still, it's exciting, even if a bit heavy-handed, which is understandable, knowing that, I believe, a superhero score need a bit of a heavier hand to handle all the epic character, especially that Iron Man while being very quirky and more like a celebrity (which very much leads to the heavy metal sound used by the previous composers, which I believe was very appropriate for the characer) has a depth and darkness that fits the modern cinema. He isn't exactly the type of campy superhero you could imagine even with Batman (like the Adam West series and its theme). Tyler probably doesn't gloss over the character depth (though I have to wait a few weeks until the movie comes out).

The last track is just plain hilarious fun. Great stuff. And yes, I can dig it.

If only the movie was as good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Asssssasssssin's Creed III Lorne Balfe

It's on the fast food end of the film/tv/game music spectrum, but it's one of the better ones (maybe a Subway?). Very enjoyable indeed, and with a really good theme.

Not the evil zombie president Washington expansion he put out this year though, eh? That's sounding hideous. The first ASIII score he did is quite enjoyable indeed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    NP: The Salamander - Jerry Goldsmith

Talk about unearthing hidden treasure!
    My god, what a wonderful score!
    And there's something new to be discovered with each listen! cool
    Well done Nic Raine and team! Bravo!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Atham wrote

I need to order this one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Without question!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Atham wrote

Indeed! But the hero of this project is Leigh Phillips!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  7. Erik Woods wrote
    Atham wrote

Indeed! But the hero of this project is Leigh Phillips!

-Erik-

yeah

What a job recreating this more-or-less from scratch!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Steve Jablonsky - Pain and Gain

Not good.

I enjoyed it. It's not boring to listen to. There's a bit of an 80s bent to the electronics, which is appropriate given the story, though with a modern sensibility, a la Cliff Martinez and less Trevor Horn. I'm disappointed in the fact that the main thematic materials (heard in "I'm Big" and "I Believe in Fitness") doesn't recur as much as I want it to. Since I've not seen the movie, I won't comment on how good it is for the movie, though, knowing Michael Bay films, it's probably functional enough at least.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Iron Man 3 - Brian Tyler

The music is better than Brian's usual stuff. There are excellent moments within and his use of the thematic material is admirable and very welcome. And speaking of the main theme, I'm warming up to it. I still prefer Ramin's version but Brian's theme fits in better with the Alan Silvestri's Avengers theme.
  8. The only thing I want listen to just now is Return of the Jedi!

V.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2013 edited
    NP: THE MANCINI PROJECT (Henry Mancini)

The second disc containing his lush, orchestral scores -- a far cry from the smooth cocktail lounge and a testament to his skill as a versatile composer.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    NP: THE MANCINI PROJECT (Henry Mancini)

The second disc containing his lush, orchestral scores -- a far cry from the smooth cocktail lounge and a testament to his skill as a versatile composer.

Such a fine set beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2013 edited
    lp wrote
    NP: Iron Man 3 - Brian Tyler

The music is better than Brian's usual stuff. There are excellent moments within and his use of the thematic material is admirable and very welcome. And speaking of the main theme, I'm warming up to it. I still prefer Ramin's version but Brian's theme fits in better with the Alan Silvestri's Avengers theme.

I've seen the movie today and it rocks! One of the best action scores of the year so far, the main theme is bold and excellently leitmotific!