• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2013
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Jason and the Argonauts - Bernard Herrmann. (Intrada)
    Sinfonia of London & Bruce Broughton

And what a recording it is, sublime!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Clash of the Titans - Laurence Rosenthal, 1981 (Intrada)

A great orchestral score!

Volker

I was listening to Ramin Djawadi's replacement score for the remake, and while it's not similar to Rosenthal score, Ramin did quite a good job while under pressure.

NP: Clash of the Titan - Ramin Djawadi

Listening to it again. Some of the material for the villians can be quite generic, but the heroic stuff, thematic developement and arrangements, are very well done.
  1. Really? I think that Djawadi's score (except the track Perseus, which I like quite a bit) is one of the worst epic scores ever written and the excuse of a main heroic theme is something quite else...
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Really? I think that Djawadi's score (except the track Perseus, which I like quite a bit) is one of the worst epic scores ever written and the excuse of a main heroic theme is something quite else...

Yeah, Perseus is quite good. And as far as that "worst epic score", let just say I prefer the clear musical identity over the muddled mess of Wrath of the Titans.
  2. NP: The 7th Vojage of Sindbad - Bernard Herrmann (Varese Sarabande)
    The Royal National Scottish Orchestra & John Debney

This, too, is a great recording!

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    After a long, long time: Chicken Run - John Powell & Harry Gregson-Williams
    I had forgotten what a glorious track Building The Crate is.
    What a fantastic score.
    Even if Powell frowns on people enjoying his work. (Which I do cuz I lov soundtrax don't listen to nothing else. plus i love Powell hes like god to me like bettrer than mozart yeh in your face and yo mama!!11!!!)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. Martijn wrote

(Which I do cuz I lov soundtrax don't listen to nothing else. plus i love Powell hes like god to me like bettrer than mozart yeh in your face and yo mama!!11!!!)

That's what I see people regularly say about Hans Zimmer on several youtube videos and such...

Makes me somewhat less than proud to be a fan myself...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    After a long, long time: Chicken Run - John Powell & Harry Gregson-Williams
    I had forgotten what a glorious track Building The Crate is.
    What a fantastic score.

Anyone who doesn't like this score is wrong and should be put to death.

A top 10 score for me. Not that I like lists. Apart from alphabetical ones (this one rates quite high).
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2013 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Martijn wrote

(Which I do cuz I lov soundtrax don't listen to nothing else. plus i love Powell hes like god to me like bettrer than mozart yeh in your face and yo mama!!11!!!)

That's what I see people regularly say about Hans Zimmer on several youtube videos and such...

As long as you employ proper punctuation, understand the use of capitals and don't as a matter of default consider 'there', 'their' and 'they're' completely interchangeable, be all the fan you want, dear boy!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote

A top 10 score for me. Not that I like lists. Apart from alphabetical ones (this one rates quite high).

Higher than Aliens?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2013
    The Amazing Spider-Man - J Horner

I continue to like this more and more. Best comic book score this side of Superman.
  4. Southall wrote

I continue to like this more and more. Best comic book score this side of Superman.

Do you know if he's scoring the sequel? He hasn't been confirmed yet. I sure hope so.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2013 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote

Higher than Aliens?

Don't be silly!

I like AVATAR but it's not top 10 Horner in my book, my gods though, what kind of awesome score would he have delivered had he ( through some strange quirks and a loan of George Pal's Victorian chair ) written the score for Avatar in the early to mid 80's.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Southall wrote

Do you know if he's scoring the sequel? He hasn't been confirmed yet. I sure hope so.

No idea. I certainly hope so.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Martijn wrote

As long as you employ proper punctuation, understand the use of capitals and don't as a matter of default consider 'there', 'their' and 'they're' completely interchangeable, be all the fan you want, dear boy!

I agree with Martijn. Years from now Mozart will still be Mozart and Hans Zimmer will be barely remembered except by a minority fringe of film buffs and the like.

There's absolutely no doubt in anyones mind except a few flakey egits that one is a towering colossus of genius and the other one is hans zimmer but to be honest I'd rather listen to Hans Zimmer rather than Mozart.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote

Not even close.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote

Not even close.

-Erik-

Really? Then which is Southall's best comic book score this side of Superman pray tell? biggrin
  5. The theme he's singing on his last album, probably.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2013 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote

Not even close.

-Erik-

Really? Then which is Southall's best comic book score this side of Superman pray tell? biggrin

Well, for starters, if he's going to pick the best Horner comic book score then the OBVIOUS right answer is The Rocketeer! Smarten up, James.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I didn't know The Rocketeer was a comic book movie. But yes, that would be the right answer in that case. With The Amazing Spider-Man a pretty close second.
  6. Southall wrote
    I didn't know The Rocketeer was a comic book movie. But yes, that would be the right answer in that case. With The Amazing Spider-Man a pretty close second.

I don't know, I kinda like Amazing Spider Man more than The Rocketeer, even though they basically share a romance theme.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Il Mercenario - E Morricone

There are days when only Morricone will do and this is one of those days. What a composer. What a score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote

Not even close.

-Erik-

Well, for starters, if he's going to pick the best Horner comic book score then the OBVIOUS right answer is The Rocketeer! Smarten up, James.

-Erik-

Batman, Batman & Robin, Hellboy, Heavy Metal, Men In Black, Red Sonja, V For Vendetta, X-Men, X-Men: The Last Stand. They're all worthy of mention too! Nothing has ever topped Williams' theme though. I doubt anything ever will.
  7. NP: A Gathering of Eagles - Jerry Goldsmith

I've not listened to this one in ages. Full of brass fanfares and martial snare drums.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  8. NP: The Devil's Brigade - Alex North

iTunes is throwing up some "oldies" at the moment. The references to familiar tunes in the main titles sequence is a bit of a weird one, and the setting together of North's typical "sound" with the lovely, tender passages is something that works well.

http://youtu.be/5-flHotxf5s
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  9. King Kong Barry

Great stuff. I really like this FSM release though the C&C presentation of 'Night wall Pt1', 'pt2' and 'Celebration' one after the other does give me a bit of tribal drum/chant fatigue!
  10. Tron: Legacy Daft Punk

I never tire of this and I've listened to it more than anything in the last few years.
  11. What I seek in Science Fiction above anything else is the "Sense of Wonder". I listen today to scores that convey that yearning perfectly:

Stat Trek TMP - Jerry Goldsmith
    The Black Hole - John Barry
    2010 Odyssee Two - David Shire

And suites from
    Close Encounters of the Third Kind - John Williams
    Contact - Alan Silvestri
    Cocoon - James Horner

Our culture has been overtaken by cynism. I long for stories of hope and idealism.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2013
    All great choices Volker beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2013 edited
    John Chambers wrote
    Tron: Legacy Daft Punk

I never tire of this and I've listened to it more than anything in the last few years.

Me too!

NP: Star Trek: The Next Generation: The Best of Both Worlds - Ron Jones

One of the finest TV scores ever produced! This is the original GNP Crescendo release. As you all know GNP has just released an expanded and complete version of this score. I doubt I'll be double dipping becuase this original album plays rather well and I can't recall what I'd be missing if I get the expanded release. Anyway, this score come highly recommended! "Captain Borg" is easily one of the finest cliffhanger pieces ever composed!

-Erik-