• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2013
    Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Yes, I have heard the theme - I used to watch the original programme avidly when it was on - but I have only heard it occasionally more recently. I had a recollection that it was Bernstein who wrote it but wasn't entirely sure I remembered correctly.

How come Bernstein ended up writing the theme?

I have no idea? We may have found out if Geoff Leonard had got HTV to allow him to release the score ( apparently they have it and are not interested in releasing it ). Paul Lewis did some great variations on Elmer's theme within the show.

An example of which can be found at the 22.45 mark HERE
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. And here's the theme HERE.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It's great! I could listen to it over and over. cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Star Trek Into Darkness- Michael Giacchino

Surprisingly disappointing. Giacchino's first Star Trek score had a real shape to it (especially the 45-minute release). This just feels like a bunch of cues thrown together and none of them are the composer at his finest. There's certainly nothing here at the level of "Labor of Love" or "Nice to Meld You."
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    NP: Primal - Bob & Barn

Thought I'd pull this one off the shelf and give it a spin after many years of neglect.
    Hearing it now I've come to appreciate how good it is!
    Performed by the City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra and Chorus and conducted by Nic Raine this album is filled with strong themes (often beautiful) and good Gothic action.
    Might play it again tomorrow.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : KNOWING - Marco Beltrami

A very good score, took me a few listens to really get into it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : STAR TREK - Michael Giacchino

Very enjoyable score. This is the regular release which is more than enough for me.
  2. Has Thor hacked Tim's account?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: The Last Days - Fernando Velazquez

Starts out as a typical suspense/horror score with little to grasp onto, then builds to thrilling, epic and emotional heights in the second half. "Assault on the Supermarket" is a wonderful 14-minute action climax and the last two cues, "Agoraphobia" and "Tomorrow-Morrow" make a gorgeous cathartic ending. This one snuck up on me, from the first half I was going to dismiss it as boring. Very highly recommended!
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote

Very enjoyable score. This is the regular release which is more than enough for me.

I agree!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    I've never played it. Are you being serious?

To be honest: I don't know.
    It's the very best adventure game I've ever played, but that is because every single aspect worked for me: the graphics, the story, the flow, the dialogues, the incredibly quirky sense of humour.... When that happens, I find the experience is almost a transcendental one.

The music however remains the finest EVER composed for ANY game EVER.

No. EVER.

NO.

SHUSH.
    NO.

EVER!
    E-VER!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    The MONKEY ISLAND series is very close to my heart -- both for nostalgia and because it's damn good; both the music and the game itself -- but the best ever computer game music remains, to me, Land's music for another Lucasarts adventure: THE DIG.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote

I agree!

-Erik-

There are better versions to be had from the complete score though, one that doesn't have that theme in almost every track (brilliant though it is).
  3. My students passed their oral A-level exminations with good or very good grades. Im glad and celebrate with one of the most uplifting scores I know:

Let us praise famous men and our fathers that begat us. All these men were honoured in their generations and were a glory in their days. We are here today to give thanks for the life of Harold Abrahams. To honour the legend. Now there are just two of us - young Aubrey Montague and myself - who can close our eyes and remember those few young men with hope in our hearts and wings on our heels.

Chariots of Fire
    Vangelis

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Zimmer night tonight.

First off: ANGELS AND DEMONS (expanded)

So, so
    good.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2013 edited
    NP: Star Trek Into Darkness - Michael Giacchino

First listen... kinda meh. Love the first half of "The Kronos Wartet." Thought "Sub Prime Directive" contained an excellent variation of Giacchino's own Star Trek theme with a nice dash of Courage's original fanfare.

I'm only half way through the album. Let see where this goes... Oh yeah, so sad that the "Ode To Harrision" suite isn't on the album.

EDIT: Some really good tracks during the latter half including the superb "The San Fran Hustle."

One other thing... Joel Iwataki's recording is excellent! A Giacchino score hasn't sounded this good since Secret Weapons Over Normandy.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Demetris wrote
    Zimmer night tonight.

First off: ANGELS AND DEMONS (expanded)

So, so
    good.

Very good pieces but overall those c&c releases rarely are for me; i prefer the regular release.

Next: DA VINCI CODE.

Even better!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: How Green Was My Valley - Alfred Newman

Superb Kritzerland release, with an excellent production that allows for a fantastic stereo image (you can hear the relatively low quality of the 1941 original in the choral passages, which only have had the one take and so remain mono).

Some strong appearances of what Thor refers to as "that religious sound"(which Newman does wonderfully), but also filled to the brim with thirties/forties style scherzos and romantic themes.

This is the kind of golden age scoring I absolutely adore.
    It's not for everyone (Newman's romantic stylings, especially for strings, often touch on the saccharine), but for anyone who's "into" early 20th century film music, this is just a marvellous and beautiful treat!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    It's gorgeous!
    It really, really is!
    The finest Newman I've heard in a LONG time!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Enough Zimmer for tonight, shifted to

MICHAEL GIACCHINO's JOHN CARTER, perhaps one of the best fantasy scores written post 2000 and certainly one of his most glorious works to date.
  4. Southall wrote
    I love Alfred Newman.

I listened to "The Diary of Anne Frank" and "Man from Galilee" on the Silva compilation of the same name late yesterday night.

I'm not the biggest of Newman fans but that is great music!

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Well, I'm just pleased a comment on a Golden Age composer gets some follow-up comments anyhow!

Hm.
    I seem to be channeling Tom wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    And here I am standing in between my wife and Mr Newman himself:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid … mp;theater

At the moment this picture was taken, Mychael Danna was a few feet behind me recording Life of Pi.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Star Trek Into Darkness - Michael Giacchino

First listen... kinda meh. Love the first half of "The Kronos Wartet."

-Erik-

I think that particular cue is a very good example of how micro-edits could improve a listening experience. If they'd kept the first minute and a half, cut out the dull suspense stuff in the middle and kept the Harrison material at the end, it would have been perfect.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ^ Where's Anthony when you need him wink
  5. Southall wrote
    And here I am standing in between my wife and Mr Newman himself:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid … mp;theater

At the moment this picture was taken, Mychael Danna was a few feet behind me recording Life of Pi.

Link is not working. A poster or David Newman?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall, turn its visibility to "public"
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Ah... I'd rather not do that.

It's just a sign saying Newman Scoring Stage, Volker.