• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2013
    Oblivion Joseph Trapanese

Having just read Southall's review, I felt inclined to give it another chance. Not that I hated it on my first listen, but nothing stood out. It's just that... Southall's reviews are so damn convincing.
  1. NP: Star Trek: The Next Generation: The Best of Both Worlds - Ron Jones

One of the finest TV scores ever produced! This is the original GNP Crescendo release. As you all know GNP has just released an expanded and complete version of this score. I doubt I'll be double dipping becuase this original album plays rather well and I can't recall what I'd be missing if I get the expanded release. Anyway, this score come highly recommended! "Captain Borg" is easily one of the finest cliffhanger pieces ever composed!

-Erik-

yeah

I also own the original release and won't go for the new one. But it's a highly recommended purchase for all who are yet without it.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote

Having just read Southall's review, I felt inclined to give it another chance. Not that I hated it on my first listen, but nothing stood out. It's just that... Southall's reviews are so damn convincing.

The coolest bits on the soundtrack are not by Trapanese, IMO, but by M83.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. How does it compare with Goldsmith's First Contact?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

I know. He convinced me Skyfall was good until I heard it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

Hmm.

Hmm.

I am the least convincing person I know.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    You are still my favourite reviewer and you are nearly always right.

that's as much crawling as you'll get from me wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. James' reviews are always little works of art.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

He was right, you know, unless you have an obsession with one certain JB.
    And thou shalt have no other gods before him!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Navajo Joe - E Morricone

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Apollo IXX James Horner

I've played this so many times, the MP3s have actually worn down.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    James' reviews are always little works of art.

shame

Thanks!

I do think that everyone who feels this way should fill in this survey:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/8H2WNXG

I do think that everyone who doesn't feel this way should not follow that link.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    Apollo IXX James Horner

Shit, maybe Justin was right after all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I wouldn't dare disagree with anyone who claims to be able to tell the difference between high quality MP3s and CD audio.
  5. Captain Future wrote
    NP: Star Trek: The Next Generation: The Best of Both Worlds - Ron Jones

One of the finest TV scores ever produced! This is the original GNP Crescendo release. As you all know GNP has just released an expanded and complete version of this score. I doubt I'll be double dipping becuase this original album plays rather well and I can't recall what I'd be missing if I get the expanded release. Anyway, this score come highly recommended! "Captain Borg" is easily one of the finest cliffhanger pieces ever composed!

-Erik-

yeah

I also own the original release and won't go for the new one. But it's a highly recommended purchase for all who are yet without it.

Volker

As I wrote in the Ron Jones ST:TNG box review:

For those unfamiliar with the score on the GNP, what it holds is pure and simple: the grand achievement of Jones' TNG work. The pinnacle, the utmost effort and hands-down strongest score. The vigor, energy, themes, orchestration, emotion, action pieces, and the culmination of everything that had come before, all stuffed into one of the best scores composed for any television series, ever. If you don't won the GNP CD, now is the time.

It appears, at a glance, that I was incorrect in my review stating this was all the score missing from the old GNP release. If I had it to do over again, I'd change "comprises all the cues" to "comprises most the cues", but oh well.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2013
    Captain Future wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

He was right, you know, unless you have an obsession with one certain JB.
    And thou shalt have no other gods before him!

I'm not biased at all. uhm wink

I like quite a few non JB Bond scores but Skyfall isn't one of them though it does have some tracks I like.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2013 edited
    Southall wrote
    Well, I guess that's how you spell it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hN1bJqU50iA

Fooking BRILLIANT! punk
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    The Red Pony - Jerry Goldsmith

Simply magnificent. Hard to believe that after so many years of listening to so many great Goldsmith scores, another one as good as this was mostly unheard - even if it did win an Emmy at the time. Every cue is a standout though 'The Buzzards' in particular can be added to the almost endless list of absolutely stunning Goldsmith action cues. This is a 5 star masterpiece by anyone's standards.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Southall wrote
    The Amazing Spider-Man - J Horner

I continue to like this more and more. Best comic book score this side of Superman.

Do you know if he's scoring the sequel? He hasn't been confirmed yet. I sure hope so.

No idea. I certainly hope so.

Same here. Amazing spiderman had such a great score, like every such major comic book movie adaptation should get. I hope he scores the sequel too although i am not too sure where the new director will take this, in relation to the much down to earth and realistic 1st film, which i really liked btw.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Apollo IXX James Horner

A modern classic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    Steven wrote

The coolest bits on the soundtrack are not by Trapanese, IMO, but by M83.

The score is very cool, very enjoyable and so is Oblivion. I am happy for those collaborations.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Demetris wrote
    Steven wrote
    Apollo IXX James Horner

A modern classic.

Since no one else is apparently going to...
    *inserts obligatory comment about how IXX is not the roman numeral for 13, or a valid roman numeral at all for that matter*
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  6. biggrin

I almost did that myself, but noticed it was some kind of an obscure joke, so I chose not to biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  7. Demetris wrote
    Southall wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Southall wrote

I continue to like this more and more. Best comic book score this side of Superman.

Do you know if he's scoring the sequel? He hasn't been confirmed yet. I sure hope so.

Same here. Amazing spiderman had such a great score, like every such major comic book movie adaptation should get. I hope he scores the sequel too although i am not too sure where the new director will take this, in relation to the much down to earth and realistic 1st film, which i really liked btw.

Seeing as he's now not doing Ender's Game, I really, really hope he gets confirmed for the sequel.
  8. Steven wrote
    Apollo IXX James Horner

One of the best scores of the 90s. I think you mean Apollo XIII.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Southall wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Southall wrote

Seeing as he's now not doing Ender's Game, I really, really hope he gets confirmed for the sequel.

beer
  9. The Golden Voyage of Sindbad - Miklos Rozsa, 1974 (Prometheus)

Wow! Prompt delivery by my little private German film music vendor!

A rousing score, vintage Rozsa! I saw the film on TV as a child and need to add it to my DVD collection.

Volker
  10. Though the recordings sounds like it was from 1954 rather then 1974. Funny thing this recordings made in Rome during the 70s. Were the sound engineers on constant strike back then? Or was that profession banned?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Corri Uomo, Corri - Bruno Nicolai

Extraordinarily good spaghetti western score, one of my favourites.