• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. THE HOST - Antonio Pinto

So far, not much is happening, but I'm only 5 tracks into my first listen.
  2. NP: Final Fantasy - The Spirits Within - Elliot Goldenthal

One of the best orchestral scores I ever came across!

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2013
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Final Fantasy - The Spirits Within - Elliot Goldenthal

One of the best orchestral scores I ever came across!

Volker
    #

It IS a fantastic score, no doubt!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    His best ever, and one of the best of the last 20 years. Film scoring at its finest.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2013 edited
    NP: Star Wars - John Williams

Desperately needed some cheering up. This is helping.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Star Wars - John Williams

Desperately needed some cheering up. This is helping.

-Erik-

Follow it up with RAIDERS and you'll be well on your way beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    yeah
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Salamander - Jezza G

This is fantastic.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2013
    Shadow Conspiracy - Bruce Broughton

Forgotten what a staggeringly good action score this is - and what a main theme! Love the Goldsmithian bridge in it too. Some fine lengthy action cues but the final Assassination Attempt is probably the pick of the bunch. What a tragedy this great composer isn't scoring more films like this anymore.
  3. NP: King Solomon's Mines - Jerry Goldsmith

This score isn't much talked about. Raiders of the Lost Ark was very obviously all over the temp track here. Still Goldsmith crafted a fun adventure score that makes for a pleasant listening experiance on CD.

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2013 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: King Solomon's Mines - Jerry Goldsmith

This score isn't much talked about. Raiders of the Lost Ark was very obviously all over the temp track here. Still Goldsmith crafted a fun adventure score that makes for a pleasant listening experiance on CD.

Volker

It does have it's moments and I particularly like the use of Wagner's Ride of The Valkyries in one track. I believe this is one of three movies starring Sharon Stone that had a Goldsmith score....unless I'm missing any?

to think I actually saw this rubbish at the cinema back in the day shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Captain Future wrote

Volker

Besides the fact that they're both action scores with a bold n brassy main theme I can't really hear any of Raiders of the Lost Ark in King Solomon's Mines. Both fun scores with King Solomon being the poorer cousin.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Atham wrote
    Captain Future wrote

Volker

Besides the fact that they're both action scores with a bold n brassy main theme I can't really hear any of Raiders of the Lost Ark in King Solomon's Mines. Both fun scores with King Solomon being the poorer cousin.

I really enjoy King Solomon's Mines when I'm in the mood for some old-fashioned adventure music. It has an advantage over the Indy scores by having its main theme be less iconic and thus providing a smoother listening experience uninterrupted by "oh, there's the Raiders' March again". Not that I don't like the Raiders' March, but its nice to have something different in the same vein.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2013 edited
    NP: Solaris - Two Steps from Hell

I am enjoying playing this at a really loud volume in headphones. Does that make me a bad person?
  4. Ask your ears wink
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  5. Scribe wrote
    NP: Solaris - Two Steps from Hell

I am enjoying playing this at a really loud volume in headphones. Does that make me a bad person?

I heard that a couple weeks ago. Pretty enjoyable, but without Thomas Bergersen in the equation it's just too generic to stand out from the rest of Two Steps' catalog...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Atham wrote
    I really enjoy King Solomon's Mines when I'm in the mood for some old-fashioned adventure music. It has an advantage over the Indy scores by having its main theme be less iconic and thus providing a smoother listening experience uninterrupted by "oh, there's the Raiders' March again". Not that I don't like the Raiders' March, but its nice to have something different in the same vein.

I can't really hear much of RAIDERS in MINES either. It's an OK score with some fine tracks, but overall I could never really get into the thing as listening experience. Too many 'perfunctory' action cues and stuff. I sold my copy some years ago.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. NP: Out of this World - John Williams & The Boston Pops (Philips, 1990)

This was one of the very first film music related CDs I owned. This one and Star Wars - The Best of Space Music got played ad nauseam back then. The conert suites of the themes from Star Wars, Battlestar Galactica and Star Trek TMP are still my favourite re-recordings of this pieces.

Volker

http://www.amazon.com/Out-This-World-Jo … B0000040W0
    http://www.amazon.de/Best-space-music-B … pace+Music
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Out of this World - John Williams & The Boston Pops (Philips, 1990)

This was released in 1983.

-Erik-
  7. Erik Woods wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Out of this World - John Williams & The Boston Pops (Philips, 1990)

This was released in 1983.

-Erik-

alien yeah
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2013
    NP: Girl Rising - Lorne Balfe & Rachel Portman

One of my favorite scores of the year so far. Alternatingly fun, then relaxingly mellow, then hauntingly beautiful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2013
    KRULL - James Horner

I needed cheering up and this is helping a bit.

[spoiler]Excellent score.[/spoiler]
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2013 edited
    Southall wrote
    KRULL - James Horner

[spoiler]Indeed it IS!!!! [/spoiler]
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2013
    Side Effects - Thomas Newman

Brilliant little score. Starts repeating its ideas in the second half but 'Very Sick Girl' and 'Another Acquittal' capture the tone of the early stages of the film perfectly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    NP: The Fury - John Williams

Classic score by Williams.
    What more can be said that hasn't been posted already about this one?
    All I can do is praise La La Land Records for the wonderful sound this latest release has!
    The score has a fresh new life to me now! Wonderful stuff!
  8. Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    KRULL - James Horner

[spoiler]Indeed it IS!!!! [/spoiler]

[spoiler]James Horner[/spoiler]
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : ROAD TO PERDITION - Thomas Newman

Wonderful score.
  9. David OC wrote
    Side Effects - Thomas Newman

Brilliant little score. Starts repeating its ideas in the second half but 'Very Sick Girl' and 'Another Acquittal' capture the tone of the early stages of the film perfectly.

I still haven't listened to that completely.
  10. Timmer wrote
    NP : ROAD TO PERDITION - Thomas Newman

Wonderful score.

If I had to pick an all-time favorite Newman, it would be this.