• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. To be honest, exactly the way you stated it. There is just something so straightforward about it that I can't take fully seriously especially in context of Williams saying somewhere that the movie itself should be watched with a grain of salt, that it shouldn't be taken seriously. So I do have this sense that the theme says a bit of "Guys, this is NOT real" in the writing, even if I can't pinpoint anything exactly in the composition, it can be taken as very earnest, but I have a deep feeling inside me that there is something off in the theme...

And the thing is... I love that it's not that straightforward, that he basically has fun with the potential cliches.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2013 edited
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : SORCERER - Tangerine Zimmer

I've always liked this 1977 film score but so far have yet to see the film ( which I would like to see )

Anyone seen the film? Michael??

I love that film, especially the mood (although it's been many years since I saw it). William Friedkin at his best. Slightly inspired by the gritty jungle look of Werner Herzog's AGUIRRE, I think. Love the score too.

AGUIRRE is an excellent film. I really like quite a few of Friedkin's films ( particularly The French Connection and To Live and Die in LA ), I should just buy Sorcerer.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    PawelStroinski wrote
    To be honest, exactly the way you stated it. There is just something so straightforward about it that I can't take fully seriously especially in context of Williams saying somewhere that the movie itself should be watched with a grain of salt, that it shouldn't be taken seriously. So I do have this sense that the theme says a bit of "Guys, this is NOT real" in the writing, even if I can't pinpoint anything exactly in the composition, it can be taken as very earnest, but I have a deep feeling inside me that there is something off in the theme...

And the thing is... I love that it's not that straightforward, that he basically has fun with the potential cliches.

I'm very much afraid you may be projecting an ironic point of view that didn't come to be part of ...well, pretty much modern lifestyle until the nineties on a seventies project.

While of course 1978's Superman winks heavily at Supes' boy scout image (and even manages the work in the "truth, justice and the American way' line without it sounding insanely jingoist and anachronsitic), Superman (the film)'s strength lies in its sincerity. This is NOT the camp Batman of the sixties, NOR the veritably irony-laden, one-liner spouting heroes of the nineties. This is honest. This is awe-inspiring. "You *will* believe a man can fly!"

Of course it's not to be taken seriously.
    It's about a super powered alien, for God's sake!
    But that doesn't mean it's automatically ironic.

For a true (if rather over the top) ironic musical statement, check out Williams' work on 1941.
    The title march is a massive send-up of American military music of the forties.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2013
    dizzy

The Superman theme has irony? That's a new one!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Water Horse: Legend of the Deep - James Newton Howard

Howard's last truly great score.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Maybe it's just my wrong interpretation and I used the wrong word, but I just have a sense that there IS something tongue in cheek in that theme...

That was to Steven and Martijn.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Tongue in cheek?! Nah! It's heroic, patriotic, exciting, powerful. Everything that embodies Superman is in that music. Williams held nothing back! It's not goofy, cheesy or comical. It's film music perfection.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Sign o'the times, I think, Pawel.

I went to a viewing of Gone With The Wind in a local cinema some time back, and was surprised to find the local audience sniggering every time Steiner blasted those hyperdramatic strings. I quickly realised though that as utterly serious and moving the music may have been at the time, it now appeared to be wildly over the top and humorous (more accustomed as we have been -for a while now!- to such style elements being employed as pastiche aspects).

Same with Supes' march.
    Nothing in there I could even remotely discern to be ironic or tongue-in-cheek.
    Joy, exuberance, fun. Yes.
    Irony. No.
    But certainly in light of Zimmer's almost "anti-music" for the current re-imagining, I could perfectly see how Williams' work could come across as such to some. Doesn't mean that it is though.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Tongue in cheek?! Nah! It's heroic, patriotic, exciting, powerful. Everything that embodies Superman is in that music. Williams held nothing back! It's not goofy, cheesy or comical. It's film music perfection.

-Erik-

yeah
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Nope! The Last Airbender was. The album needed a bit of fixing, but what you end up with is some of the most impressive stuff he's ever written.
  3. Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Actually the way I hear it to me proves the perfection even more.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Nope! The Last Airbender was. The album needed a bit of fixing, but what you end up with is some of the most impressive stuff he's ever written.

I can't agree with you here. The Last Airbender, IMO, was a missed opportunity. A few scattered great tracks can't make up for the mediocrity of the rest of the score.

-Erik-
  4. Steven wrote
    After Earth James Newton Howard

This, Remember Me and Epic are my top three of the year so far. cool (A 30 minute play list from the album.)

A list! Great idea, Steven! My favorite three scores from 2013 are.

1. AFRICA - Sarah Class
    2. GAGARIN: FIRST IN SPACE - George Kallis
    3. EPIC - Danny Elfman

wink tongue
  5. Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

I can't agree with you here. The Last Airbender, IMO, was a missed opportunity. A few scattered great tracks can't make up for the mediocrity of the rest of the score.

-Erik-

I agree with.....Erik. WATER HORSE for the win. Although AIRBENDER has some great music in it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    To Christopher's post:

I really liked the clips of the Kallis score I heard.
  6. PawelStroinski wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Well there is a certain playfullness in that march, something cheerful and utterly optimistic. That might indicate that we are entering a comic book universe. I wouldn't call it irony, though.
    The Star Wars fanfare has, by comparison, more gravity to it. Which is appropriate since Star Wars tells - at it's core - a much more serious story than Superman.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

I'd agree if we're talking about the score as heard on the album, but given a few cuts and reshuffling here and there, it really does make a great 40 minute album. One of the biggest mistakes was to put the suite at the start.
  7. Thanks for the list, Atham. Beside the (correct) point Thomas made, it looks very reasonable to me; how did you get it without seeing the movie?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

I'd agree if we're talking about the score as heard on the album, but given a few cuts and reshuffling here and there, it really does make a great 40 minute album. One of the biggest mistakes was to put the suite at the start.

I'm am talking about it on CD (in your order as well) and in the GOD AWFUL film. Here was a chance for Howard to write the grand daddy of all fantasy adventure scores with multiple, lyrical, long lined themes for each of the elements and what do we get? Well, not that.

Maybe my own presumptions are getting in the way of me enjoying the score the way you do but I'm sure you remember a time when shitty films of this sort had gorgeous scores full of lyrical themes... BEASTMASTER 2, LEGEND, KRULL, etc.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I can understand that to be honest. But I do find I connect with the score quite a lot. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I feel like I've been taken on a very worthwhile journey by the end of it. Perhaps it has the right mix of action, emotion and narrative that I look for in scores!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I'm going to give it another chance after I'm done with Kevin Kaska and John Debney's excellent score to LAIR. I haven't listened to Howard's score since it first came out.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'm always reminded of a comment by Michael when I listen to Flow Like Water, that it would have been the perfect replacement cue to 'Chevaliers De Sangreal' from The Da Vinci Code. punk
  8. Captain Future wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Well there is a certain playfullness in that march, something cheerful and utterly optimistic. That might indicate that we are entering a comic book universe. I wouldn't call it irony, though.
    The Star Wars fanfare has, by comparison, more gravity to it. Which is appropriate since Star Wars tells - at it's core - a much more serious story than Superman.

Definitely that's a conventional difference, though I don't think that the Superman theme is comic-book like. I don't know why, but I do sense a bit of a sincere wink to the audience, though.

It's not a realism vs. older conventions, I think. I mean, I think the strength of the Donner film is that it combines a true heart and sensitivity with the awareness of having an absurdly optimistic and positive character at heart of the story. The dialogue between Lois and Superman which I quoted in another thread (which gave me a good natured laugh for the rest of the helicopter rescue sequence, mostly due to the brilliance of Lois' realization and the word play taking place) shows that the filmmakers were much aware of things that were happening on screen with a real almost romantic and sincere heart.

With all the potential cheesiness the story had (also conveyed by Hackman's hilariously over the top - though never crossing the line somehow! - Lex Luthor) a sense of being self-aware of that cheesiness. I think this is the biggest strength of Donner's film. I think what makes it that more believable is that we know they know some of the ideas presented are downright silly.

One of things I didn't say in that post where I discussed the differences was something that shocked me when I watched the Donner film right after Snyder's (I saw the 1978 film long time ago, but Man of Steel made me want badly to watch it again, I also had to compare certain scenes for the sake of analysis of the score) and that is how Snyder's film, with all the development of CGI, special effects, is at times much more... straightforward in certain scenes. I hope this won't be much of a spoiler, because it's something both movies share - first the "execution" of Zod and his men - in the 1978 movie they made it basically a huge effect sequence, using some kind of projection effects, I'd like to know how it was made at the time with the glass featuring screaming faces (was the crystal thing the Phantom Zone already?), in the new movie they are taken over by something and just vanish. Another thing was the Fortress of Solitude - Marlon Brando's face superimposed over the set of the Fortress as opposed to basically interacting with a hologram... basically normal actor on actor filming (no effects whatsoever).
  9. NP: Pacific Rim - Ramin Djawadi

This is quite noisy isn't it?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Star Trek: The Doomsday Machine - Sol Kaplan

To my ears easily the best original Star Trek soundtrack ever created. What a shame Kaplan didn't get to do any more episodes! I love the growling theme for the Planet Killer and the dramatic sequences for Decker and the Constellation.
    In fact, this may well be my favourite oldskool Trek, period: both music, story and flow work REALLY well in this one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Definitely that's a conventional difference, though I don't think that the Superman theme is comic-book like. I don't know why, but I do sense a bit of a sincere wink to the audience, though.

Oh fuck yeah there is. For instance, Superman's wave to Lois after the helicopter rescue. Who else would sync hit a wave with the "lift off" part of the Superman theme?! Brilliant!

It's one of the best examples of a composer being inspired while at the same time having fun with his work and striving for nothing but excellence in his music!

-Erik-
  10. Decker? The Star Trek: The Motion Picture Decker?!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Pacific Rim - Ramin Djawadi

This is quite noisy isn't it?

I don't WANT to listen to this but I will.

:shiver: <-- Fuck me, what is the shiver, cold, freezing emoticon?!

EDIT - Found it freezing BTW, it's : freezing : I even wrote the word down above. lol

-Erik-
  11. Erik Woods wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

Oh fuck yeah there is. For instance, Superman's wave to Lois after the helicopter rescue. Who else would sync hit a wave with the "lift off" part of the Superman theme?! Brilliant!

It's one of the best examples of a composer being inspired while at the same time having fun with his work and striving for nothing but excellence in his music!

-Erik-

Which is exactly what I meant? Though possibly I called it irony wrong, what I definitely meant it's not a theme (or score) taking itself seriously.

I think the sense of gravity of the new Superman movie is one of its downfalls.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Decker? The Star Trek: The Motion Picture Decker?!

Star Trek TMP's Decker is The Doomsday Machine's Decker's son. smile