• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2013
    christopher wrote
    Hm, never heard of that. I'll see if I can find it. Thanks, Kevin.

NP - THE CRIMSON WING - Cinematic Orchestra

I haven't heard this. Their non score albums that I've heard are superb.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. By Erik's recommendation ordered and now playing:

Hollywood '95 - Verious composers (Varese Sarabande)
    Joel McNeely conducts the RSNO

A great compilation and great recordings all along!

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2013 edited
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    christopher wrote
    HOUSE OF FLYING DAGGERS - Shigeru Umebayshi

I've heard a lot of praise for this score around here. I've given it five complete listens now, and I just can't like this score. I very much like the love theme, but that appears far too infrequently to save the rest of this, most of which I do not enjoy and some of which I genuinely dislike. I have to admit that it's generally harder for me to enjoy Chinese music - it just doesn't do much for me. FLOWERS OF WAR, however, that I listened to a couple days ago, was very enjoyable. Though it was quite a bit more western-sounding. Oh well.

Maybe try Thomas Newman's Red Corner?

Don't think I'd recommend that one. It does have perhaps my all-time favourite Thomas Newman theme and some cool rhythms here and there, but so much of it is just suspense and atmosphere stuff that it's a struggle to get through.

I'd rather recommend Christopher Gordon's Mao's last dancer, which has excellent elements from both chinese (Out of the well) and western music (Pas de deux, Village dance and finale).

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Remember Me Olivier Deriviere

The score that keeps on giving. A beacon of light in the fog of mediocrity. The hero we've been waiting for.

...okay I'll stop. But it is good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Nah Steven, don't stop. All true! beer wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I wonder what the reactions would be if Remember Me had Zimmer's name on it....
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Probably utter bewilderment and incredulity that Zimmer actually wrote it. But my opinion of the music would be exactly the same.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Scribe wrote

...this sounds ghost written.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Scribe wrote

"That must be a typo."
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. My mistake!
  4. Scribe wrote

You mean, if he had written that score. Let's assume he had written a score:

I would probably like it better. The hype surrounding this score eludes me.
    :covers his head and runs away quickly:
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yeah, but you like Buck's Fizz.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

What a very girly drink.
  5. Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

What a very girly drink.

You don't begin to imagine what else I like. My CD collection is a real mixed box.

Yeah, Buck's Fizz: 5 or 6 songs, no more. And "Land of Make Believe" is a stroke of genius.

However:

NP: Man of Steel

I really, really dig the first 7 cues. There is even a vocoder in the main theme. Let me hear a vocoder and I'm sold.

Another recent aquisition composed by Hans Zimmer:

Beyond Ragoon

Now that is Zimmer at his very best, pure beauty and lyricism on a much higher level than MoS. In those years I thought of Hans Zimmer as another Vangelis.

Volker
  6. Funnily enough, for me Vangelis is a relatively late discovery. I used to dislike his film scores and like some of his non-film stuff, years later and I'm suddenly a fan.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : ROCKY - Bill Conti

I was surprised to see that Hans Zimmer's name isn't on the credits? confused
  7. I'm not biggrin

That said, I wish he did more sports stuff. Find The Final Game from A League of Their Own on youtube and tell me what you think smile
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSarah
    Alan Silvestri - Avengers theme. Which i happen to think is AWESOME! Not the greatest of scores, but the theme is so hummable
    "Class is having lunch with the homeless and dinner with the Queen."
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2013
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

What a very girly drink.

Bloody not!
    Mimosas are avwonderful way to kick off the day.
    Especially working days.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2013
    I love girly drinks! But I also love beer and whisky, Martijn's favourites. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    You are such a complex character, Steven.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

What a very girly drink.

Bloody not!
    Mimosas are avwonderful way to kick off the day.
    Especially working days.

Don't forget to wear a pink blouse tongue
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    At World's End- Hans Zimmer

Good stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: Remember Me - Olivier Deriviere

Mmm, meh. Its interesting and creative and different for sure, but it's full of mickey-mousing, rarely stays with the same musical idea for more than a few brief moments. And the "memory" chanting is just cheesy and distracting.

Still Man of Steel for most entertaining score of the year so far...don't agree with the "McDonald's" comments...it grows on me more every time I listen to it. Most enjoyable Zimmer score since At World's End in my opinion.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It's safe to say that some opinions are just wrong. This is one of those times. dizzy
  8. Scribe wrote

Mmm, meh. Its interesting and creative and different for sure, but it's full of mickey-mousing, rarely stays with the same musical idea for more than a few brief moments. And the "memory" chanting is just cheesy and distracting.

Still Man of Steel for most entertaining score of the year so far...don't agree with the "McDonald's" comments...it grows on me more every time I listen to it. Most enjoyable Zimmer score since At World's End in my opinion.

I agree with exactly half of both of your comments.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Scribe wrote
    Mmm, meh. Its interesting and creative and different for sure, but it's full of mickey-mousing, rarely stays with the same musical idea for more than a few brief moments.

I enjoyed some of the second half more, in the less actiony parts like the rather gorgeous "Our Parents". It just wasn't what the hype led me to expect.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    It's safe to say that some opinions are just wrong. This is one of those times. dizzy

No kidding.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2013 edited
    Scribe wrote
    Scribe wrote
    Mmm, meh. Its interesting and creative and different for sure, but it's full of mickey-mousing, rarely stays with the same musical idea for more than a few brief moments.

I enjoyed some of the second half more, in the less actiony parts like the rather gorgeous "Our Parents". It just wasn't what the hype led me to expect.

Not hype, just truth! wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  9. Timmer wrote
    christopher wrote
    Hm, never heard of that. I'll see if I can find it. Thanks, Kevin.

NP - THE CRIMSON WING - Cinematic Orchestra

I haven't heard this. Their non score albums that I've heard are superb.

Check this out.