• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2013
    NP: The Last Airbender - James Newton Howard

Giving this one another go. First time since the film came out. BTW, Steven, I can't find your 40 minute playlist anywhere?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Martijn wrote
    Star Trek: The Doomsday Machine - Sol Kaplan

To my ears easily the best original Star Trek soundtrack ever created. What a shame Kaplan didn't get to do any more episodes! I love the growling theme for the Planet Killer and the dramatic sequences for Decker and the Constellation.
    In fact, this may well be my favourite oldskool Trek, period: both music, story and flow work REALLY well in this one.

Kaplan's The Doomsday Machine is one of the great Star Trek scores; one that's imprinted on my mind because of its use as library music and being tracked into a number of other episodes.

But Kaplan did do another episode, The Enemy Within.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Pacific Rim - Ramin Djawadi

This is quite noisy isn't it?

I don't WANT to listen to this but I will.

:shiver: <-- Fuck me, what is the shiver, cold, freezing emoticon?!

EDIT - Found it freezing BTW, it's : freezing : I even wrote the word down above. lol

-Erik-

I would listen to it again before I'd listen to Man of Steel I think.

:Lighting fuse: :Mission: Impossible theme starts:
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. Timmer wrote
    To Christopher's post:

I really liked the clips of the Kallis score I heard.

Yeah, there are some good things in that score, especially if you like male Russian choir. "Glory" is a great piece of music in particular. I give the album 3.5 stars overall. It's one of the best scores of the year so far, IMO, but that says less about this score than it does about the quality of its competition!

Thanks for sparking some conversation. I was mostly just trying to annoy Steven with that post smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Why would it annoy me? uhm
  4. Don't you hate lists? It seems like every time someone posts a list you roll your eyes or make fun of them. Have I confused you with someone else?
    •  
      CommentAuthorchristopher
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2013 edited
    NP - AN UNFINISHED SONG - Laura Rossi

This is an interesting album. There are lots of new recordings of familiar songs, interspersed with original score from Rossi. The score is nice. It's light and pretty much what you'd expect from a romantic comedy. The songs aren't really my thing, although I'm sure a lot of people would enjoy them. One song I do need to praise is Terence Stamp singing Billy Joel's "Lullaby." Whew, it made me tear up. It's so, so bittersweet and utterly wonderful. Check it out!

Edit: I see on further inspection that this film came out last year in Britain and was called SONG FOR MARION.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    christopher wrote
    Don't you hate lists? It seems like every time someone posts a list you roll your eyes or make fun of them. Have I confused you with someone else?

Oh, erm... I guess? Lists are generally a bit boring on their own, and I also find it a little odd that people are able to quantify their all time favourite scores in that way, but lists of the current year's scores are far easier to make and at least relevant. I suppose that's why I don't mind them so much. (Much easier when there's not much to choose from too!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Just finished with THE LAST AIRBENDER. Much, much better this time around. It is amazing how a simple resequencing of a few tracks can help with matters. Putting the "Suite" at the beginning of the album and the "Prologue" in the middle of the album was just gobsmackingly stupid!

I know I'm preatching to the choir but "Flow Like Water." shocked Holy shit!

Anyway, my overall evaluation of the score has changed a bit. I think the score is good but not great. I still think this was missed oppourtunity to let the music sing. Everytime one of those big Howard chords showed up I was expecting to get hit with a beautiful melody. Unfortunately, that never happened. Don't get me wrong, the orchestral writing is superb and I like the use of percussion throughout the score but this score was dying for a big, classic theme and/or themes. So sad. This could have been another Waterworld.

And the choir issues. Unacceptable.

A truly fudged up release for a not bad score that could have been great.

-Erik-

PS - Hearing Stargate in the "Suite." vomit
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  5. There is a fully choral version of End Credits on youtube and yes, that includes Flow Like Water.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Now You See Me - Brian Tyler

punk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p … i4eH-aYiRo

-Erik-
  6. Erik Woods wrote
    Just finished with THE LAST AIRBENDER. Much, much better this time around. It is amazing how a simple resequencing of a few tracks can help with matters. Putting the "Suite" at the beginning of the album and the "Prologue" in the middle of the album was just gobsmackingly stupid!

Anyway, my overall evaluation of the score has changed a bit. I think the score is good but not great. I still think this was missed oppourtunity to let the music sing. Everytime one of those big Howard chords showed up I was expecting to get hit with a beautiful melody. Unfortunately, that never happened. Don't get me wrong, the orchestral writing is superb and I like the use of percussion throughout the score but this score was dying for a big, classic theme and/or themes. So sad. This could have been another Waterworld.

-Erik-

I rather hear echos of Miklos Rozsa here. El Cid or something.

A really good score.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote

punk

-Erik-

Nice! I hadn't seen this before.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PawelStroinski wrote
    in the new movie they are taken over by something and just vanish.

Yes, they are basically envelopped in giant dildos that are jettisoned into the sky. I loved that moment -- classic Snyder! smile
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Classic Snyder being sending giant dildos to the sky? confused
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Classic Snyder being sending giant dildos to the sky? confused

Indeed. The wild, over-the-top ideas, the sexual/sensous imagery....
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Thor wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Classic Snyder being sending giant dildos to the sky? confused

Indeed. The wild, over-the-top ideas, the sexual/sensous imagery....

Sounds like Woody Allen: Anny Hall instead of Lois Lane.
  9. S T A R W A R S

My own playlists of both trilogies.

So long ago, so far away ...
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Pacific Rim - Ramin Djawadi

OOOh, sounds like Iron Man in the instrumentation. First track sounds good enough to continue. There's an actual orchestra behind the synth banks too. Nice.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Erik Woods wrote

punk

-Erik-

It's as if John Powell has been completely assimilated by Brian Tyler doesn't it?
  10. Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

I agree with a lot of what you just said but I also think it's one of JNH's best scores. Not THE best...but one of the best. Top 10 for sure. It's kind of a, for lack of a better word, "ambient" orchestral score in that there aren't any showstopping themes or melodies really, but the scope of the ensemble and the excellent orchestration and percussion is so enjoyable and well executed that it almost makes up for it (Jack the Giant Slayer is another score like that, though I don't think it's anywhere near near as good). And if the progressions alone are memorable enough they can carry an incredible cue like "Flow Like Water" without the need of a strictly melodic theme over the top.

And I thought I was the only one who noticed the Stargate thing too. But it's not like that progression was Arnold's to begin with. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    lp wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

punk

-Erik-

It's as if John Powell has been completely assimilated by Brian Tyler doesn't it?

It's Brian Tyler's own take on the MV/RC control sound but it sounds sooooo much better. Not saying that it sounds better than John Powell but I'm starting to really enjoy Tyler's work. Well, Tyler of 2013. And when he is in his comfort zone, like he is with this score, he really excels and his creative juices flow.
    -Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I agree with a lot of what you just said but I also think it's one of JNH's best scores. Not THE best...but one of the best. Top 10 for sure.

Not even close to my top ten Howard scores. I think there are about 20 1990's and 2000's JNH scores that are infinitely better than THE LAST AIRBENDER, IMO.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Top 5 for me. Along with Unbreakable, Lady In The Water, Waterworld and Atlantis. (This doesn't count as a list. It's a sentence. angry )
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    It's list time.

fireworks

I'd rather listen to...

- WYATT EARP
    - DINOSAUR
    - WATERWORLD
    - ATLANTIS
    - UNBREAKABLE
    - SIGNS
    - FLATLINERS
    - OUTBREAK
    - THE POSTMAN
    - SNOW FALLING ON CEDARS
    - TREASURE PLANET
    - PETER PAN
    - HIDALGO
    - KING KONG
    - THE WATER HORSE: LEGEND OF THE DEEP
    - DEFIANCE
    - THE FUGITIVE
    - THE PACKAGE
    - GLENGARRY GLEN ROSS
    - ALIVE
    - DEVIL'S ADVOCATE

...before I spin THE LAST AIRBENDER again.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Thin Red Line - Hans Zimmer

I read somewhere that this is a good score. Not sure where though...

-Erik-
  11. Erik is in great shape tonight! cheesy

NP: Supergirl - by Jerry Goldsmith

What a fun ride this is!

Will they reboot this franchise, too? If so, who would you like to see in Faye Dunaway's dress? lick

Volker
  12. Erik Woods wrote
    It's list time.

Backatcha! wink

I'd rather listen to these scores than The Last Airbender:

- WATERWORLD
    - ATLANTIS
    - KING KONG
    - THE VILLAGE*
    - LADY IN THE WATER* - where the hell were these two on your list, Erik?

I'd put these scores more or less equal with The Last Airbender

- WYATT EARP
    - DINOSAUR
    - HIDALGO
    - UNBREAKABLE
    - SIGNS
    - THE POSTMAN

These are slightly below:

- OUTBREAK
    - SNOW FALLING ON CEDARS
    - TREASURE PLANET
    - ALIVE
    - DEVIL'S ADVOCATE

And you gotta be kidding me about these dizzy :

- FLATLINERS
    - PETER PAN
    - THE FUGITIVE
    - THE PACKAGE
    - GLENGARRY GLEN ROSS
    - DEFIANCE

Hell, why not throw Michael Clayton in there while you're at it? tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I'd rather listen to these scores than The Last Airbender:

- WATERWORLD
    - ATLANTIS
    - KING KONG
    - THE VILLAGE*
    - LADY IN THE WATER* - where the hell were these two on your list, Erik?

The Village and Lady in the Water are good but I don't love them.

Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I'd put these scores more or less equal with The Last Airbender

- WYATT EARP
    - DINOSAUR
    - HIDALGO
    - UNBREAKABLE
    - SIGNS
    - THE POSTMAN

All five are waaaaaaaaay better than The Last Airbender. Way better!

Edmund Meinerts wrote
    These are slightly below:

- OUTBREAK
    - SNOW FALLING ON CEDARS
    - TREASURE PLANET
    - ALIVE
    - DEVIL'S ADVOCATE

Calling Nurse Ratched!

Edmund Meinerts wrote
    And you gotta be kidding me about these dizzy :

- FLATLINERS

An outstanding early effort with one of the most gorgeous choral piece from the pen of Howard.

Edmund Meinerts wrote
    - PETER PAN

Fun, great themes, and managed not to sound like Hook.

Edmund Meinerts wrote
    - THE FUGITIVE

Dan Goldwasser once wrote that this was one of the most influencial action scores of the 90's. I didn't agree with him at the time but now I do.

Edmund Meinerts wrote
    - THE PACKAGE

Please, can THIS James Newton Howard come back to us

Edmund Meinerts wrote
    - GLENGARRY GLEN ROSS

One of the greatest smokey jazz drama scores you'll ever hear.

Edmund Meinerts wrote
    - DEFIANCE

A splendid dramatic score.

Edmund Meinerts wrote

Because it's not better than The Last Airbender.

-Erik-
  13. Erik Woods wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    - FLATLINERS

An outstanding early effort with one of the most gorgeous choral piece from the pen of Howard.

Yeah, "Redemption" is excellent, but what about the rest of the score?

Erik Woods wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    - PETER PAN

Fun, great themes, and managed not to sound like Hook.

Yeah, but so much of it is so twee. It's a nice little score but in no way does it stand up to a massive effort like The Last Airbender!

Erik Woods wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    - THE FUGITIVE

Dan Goldwasser once wrote that this was one of the most influencial action scores of the 90's. I didn't agree with him at the time but now I do.

I always thought this one sounded a bit like Goldsmith leftovers. If you put it in a lineup with Chain Reaction, Executive Decision, Deep Rising, U.S. Marshals, that sort of thing, it would fit right in. Admittedly all of those scores came after The Fugitive so maybe you have a point. Even so, I find it kind of dull except for the "Helicopter Chase" and finale cues.

Erik Woods wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    - THE PACKAGE

Please, can THIS James Newton Howard come back to us

I actually like this score a lot. Easily more so than The Fugitive. But it's really hampered by the synth portions.

Erik Woods wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    - GLENGARRY GLEN ROSS

One of the greatest smokey jazz drama scores you'll ever hear.

I actually haven't heard this one other than a five minute cue on YouTube, which didn't stand out to me.

Erik Woods wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    - DEFIANCE

A splendid dramatic score.

It has its moments. A lot of it is really low key and/or overly dour for my tastes though. Yeah, I know, subject material...but it's still no Schindler's List, that's for sure.

Erik Woods wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

Because it's not better than The Last Airbender.

-Erik-

At last! The man speaks sense! biggrin