• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2013 edited
    NP: Terminal Velocity - Joel McNeely

RIP James Gandolfini. sad

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Treasure Planet James Newton Howard

A self-made album taken from the complete score, far superior to the official album. And if took about 5 minutes at most. So why is it so hard for album producers to do the same?? There's some great stuff missing from the album, and lots of boring mickey mousing kept instead.

Anyway.

This is a much needed reminder of what JNH is capable of when he's as far away from Zimmer and RC as possible.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2013
    NP: PEYTON PLACE (Franz Waxman)

Such a gorgeous score by my favourite Golden Ager....and very appropriate for the sweltering summer day we have in Norway now. A very 'summery' score, IMO.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote

Such a gorgeous score by my favourite Golden Ager....and very appropriate for the sweltering summer day we have in Norway now. A very 'summery' score, IMO.

That theme from the film was retained for the 1960's TV show that made the theme popular, the TV show also launched the careers of Ryan O'Neal and Mia Farrow.

I remember the theme from when I was a child ( My mum loved that show ) but didn't know it came from an earlier film until many years later.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Wasn't it used in THE OMEGA MAN too?
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Thor wrote

punk

I have the Varese re-recording. Great score!

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote

I understand your thinking but no, that was Max Steiner's A Summer Place.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

I understand your thinking but no, that was Max Steiner's A Summer Place.

Ah, that's right.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Contact - Alan Silvestri

Touching, breathtaking, pulse pounding, inspiring. Another great Silvestri/Zemeckis score.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Hollywood '95 - Various Artists
    Joel McNeely conducting the Royal Scottish National Orchestra

Arguably the best of the Varese "Hollywood Series" of recordings, which unfortunately lasted only three short years. Varese's previous annual best of albums were just compilation albums of music released on their label. And if I'm not mistaken, they tried to revive the series in 1999 with THEMES FROM THE PHANTOM MENACE AND OTHER FILM HITS.

This '95 album features a rockin' version of Horner's APOLLO 13 launch cue and a splendid recording of Rozsa's THAT HAMILTON WOMAN - a fitting tribute to the brilliant Golden Age composer who died in '95. There's also a rare, blistering recording of Goldsmith's JUDGE DREDD trailer music, which I think has only been recorded and released commercially one other time. Other scores featured include JUDGE DREDD, FIRST KNIGHT, BATMAN FOREVER WATERWORLD, BRAVEHEART and CASPER.

Superb album!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2013
    Yeah, that's a good album. One of my early soundtrack CD purchases. Don't have it anymore, though.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Steven wrote
    45 minutes is not a short album! It's the perfect time for most albums.

Oh, I agree. It's just comparatively short compared to some. For World War Z, it's just about right.
  2. "LA Law: The Movie"
    By: David C. Williams

Not sure why Mike Post, who did the series that ended years earlier, didn't score it. He has very little listed for 2002 on the IMDb page for him.

In some ways it's not unlike a Mike Post TV score; small, kind of intimate, without sounding small. Guitar (acoustic and electric), sax, piano, kick drum, other instruments.

The show's theme is used in some tracks.

It's mostly wistful, upbeat stuff. Most of it goes places, others just apparently must fit their respective scenes. It's kind of got an early 1990's vibe with some late 1980's mixed in.

Promo only, no official release.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    The Devil's Own - James Horner

An underrated gem from Horner's back catalogue for this mostly forgotten film. Has a moving Celtic flavoured main theme with some different synth sounds added into the mix - these are especially effective in the dramatic 'Rory's Arrest/Diaz is Killed' cue. 'Launching the Boat' is lovely too.
  3. "Benedict Arnold
    By: David C. Williams

I've never given this score a far shot. Williams was kind enough to send me a copy, though I didn't even ask for it, and the least I could do is give it a proper whirl. He professed, at the time, this was one of the favorite scores he had done.

The first track is a solo cello performing the theme (I assume).

The second track, we got full orchestra, the cello, snare, timpani.

So far it's kind of a slow-moving score, with only breif bursts of some energy.

It's just not my cup of tea. It's not poorly done, it's just not my thing. The best I can compare it to is J.N.H.'s score to "Definence" -- another score I didn't care for. If you liked that score, and may enjoy this one.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  4. Defiance?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  5. NP: Man of Steel (Sony, 2013) - Hans Zimmer

OK then ...
    ... seen from the standpoint, that this is film music and the score of a Superman-film, I am in total agreement with what has been said by James Southall, Christian Clemmensen, Jon Broxton, Erik Woods and others.
    Edit: Or actually I am not. I have listened to far worse scores: **1/2

But ...

as a near live long fan of ambient electronica in the vein of Klaus Schulze and Brian Eno I have to say that there are some outstandings pieces of music to be found on this CD. Those moments, when the eternal drums have mercy with us and stop pounding away.
    As a concept album: ***1/2

I somehow whish Hans Zimmer would do an electronica concept album without connection to anything film.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Is there anyone else on this forum who actually likes the drums???
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  6. wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    beer
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  7. NP: One Night In The Cosmos - Olivier Hecho

This is a 4-part documentary series from 2012 that, from the narration I have heard so far, would just annoy the hell out of me. But Hecho's music sounds quite interesting from the trailer and one of the episodes.

Thor, you may be interested in this as it's sort of electro-ambient in style (if that's actually a style).

It's certainly something I am going to be giving a listen to to see if I like it. Each of the scores from 3 of the episodes are presented as single tracks (running to about 50 minutes) so I may end up editing them down to manageable chunks. But the great thing is that, even though most of the download stores are charging £5-£7, Google Play's store is selling them for £1 each! Which is, in my book, worth a gamble!!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  8. FalkirkBairn wrote

... it's sort of electro-ambient in style (if that's actually a style).

But of course:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambient_music

cool
  9. HOUSE OF FLYING DAGGERS - Shigeru Umebayshi

I've heard a lot of praise for this score around here. I've given it five complete listens now, and I just can't like this score. I very much like the love theme, but that appears far too infrequently to save the rest of this, most of which I do not enjoy and some of which I genuinely dislike. I have to admit that it's generally harder for me to enjoy Chinese music - it just doesn't do much for me. FLOWERS OF WAR, however, that I listened to a couple days ago, was very enjoyable. Though it was quite a bit more western-sounding. Oh well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Sounds interesting, Alan. I'll definitely check out the samples.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Scribe wrote
    Is there anyone else on this forum who actually likes the drums???

I like it when it's not just by itself.
  10. christopher wrote
    HOUSE OF FLYING DAGGERS - Shigeru Umebayshi

I've heard a lot of praise for this score around here. I've given it five complete listens now, and I just can't like this score. I very much like the love theme, but that appears far too infrequently to save the rest of this, most of which I do not enjoy and some of which I genuinely dislike. I have to admit that it's generally harder for me to enjoy Chinese music - it just doesn't do much for me. FLOWERS OF WAR, however, that I listened to a couple days ago, was very enjoyable. Though it was quite a bit more western-sounding. Oh well.

Maybe try Thomas Newman's Red Corner?
  11. Hm, never heard of that. I'll see if I can find it. Thanks, Kevin.

NP - THE CRIMSON WING - Cinematic Orchestra
  12. It was Newman's only foray into Chinese or "Westernized" Chinese music. Terribly underrated.
  13. It is an underrated score, but it's a very, very difficult listen, I can give the critics that.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  14. People should give it a try just for the closing track, "Black."