• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I actually prefer Inception.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2013
    I had big issues with Inception. I think The Dark Knight came the closest to being truly great but I can't put it above Pirates 3.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    After Earth James Newton Howard

This is a 2013 score, but what might surprise some is it isn't Man of Steel by Hans Zimmer. shocked This is actually an entirely different movie and score altogether, with a composer who isn't Hans Zimmer (well, yet).

Joking aside, there's some truly impressive material to be found in an otherwise boring album (I've made a pretty decent 30 minute album with a couple of edits here and there). Few scores hit such oxygen deprived heights while also reaching such insufferable lows.
    Frustratingly wonderful stuff.
  2. To be completely honest, I was always perplexed by the comments that the music in Inception was too loud to understand dialogues... For me it was the first movie in unsubtitled English where I understood every single word with no problem.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2013 edited
    Sorry for going off topic in this Hans Zimmer thread. But I'm playing The Talented Mr Ripley which was composed by Gabriel Yared some era's ago. After the excellent concert last Saturday, which suprisingly for this time of the year didn't feature any electronic instrument, I had to hear it again.

It's one of my favourites of this non-Zimmer composer. Lullaby for Cain (performed by Sinead O'Conner) is as good as Zimmer's lullaby in The Prince of Egypt. I cannot deny I am often tempted to think of Hans Zimmer when listening to The Talented Mr Ripley, because, yes .., talented both are! That's why my post could be declared on-topic after all!

However, Yared seems to know a thing or two about themes too and I absolutely recommend this score to all Zimmer fans (and it's on Spotify, but only if you look for the album itself).
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I wonder how many scores there are out there that aren't composed by Hans Zimmer? I don't think we'll ever know for sure.
  3. NP: Samples from Varese Sarabande: A 35th Anniversary Celebration, 2013

I think this is a thoughtful put together compilation. A 4-CD set for 20 €: You can do no wrong here.

About 20% of the scores represented here are part of my collection. So 80% I have not. Since one cannot collect everything, I regard this set a great extension of my collection.

I miss those best-of-the-year compilations VS used to do before Christmas during the 90s.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Steven wrote
    I wonder how many scores there are out there that aren't composed by Hans Zimmer? I don't think we'll ever know for sure.

A good question. Be sure to open a new thread to expand upon this further because otherwise the current one is going to be cluttered.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    PawelStroinski wrote
    To be completely honest, I was always perplexed by the comments that the music in Inception was too loud to understand dialogues... For me it was the first movie in unsubtitled English where I understood every single word with no problem.

That was one of my biggest issues with the score. There are sections where the music is so intrusive that it's incredible distracting. That's not good film music.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. Actually blame Nolan for that, Hans was quite shocked how much music was used in the final movie, to the point of questioning the director afterwards.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Right, I forgot that most of the score was written before hand. Nolan's an idiot. tongue

BTW, I enjoyed Zimmer's Inception as a stand alone listen, which I guess you might call a concert work inspired by the film (or the script or whatever) more so then a film score wink

-Erik-
  5. Script. The score was written with Nolan disallowing Hans to see more than dailies.

What you like as a concert work makes the more sense, because it's the original suites.
  6. The mix of INCEPTION is a curious issue. I also found when I saw it, there was a sense of strain to hear dialogue (particularly Ken Watanabe's). At other moments in the film, the music was incredibly loud in the cinema. It seems to have been a thing for some viewers but not others -- perhaps there was a quirk to the way it was mixed for 5.1 such that it played very differently in different spaces.

I personally have no issue with the use of a suite of music composed prior to the edit as a score, since its worked as many times to help a film as any other method. No fan of the greatest films scored by Ennio Morricone or Georges Delerue could disagree. Just because post-scoring is a Hollywood norm doesn't make it normal.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2013
    franz_conrad wrote
    I personally have no issue with the use of a suite of music composed prior to the edit as a score, since its worked as many times to help a film as any other method. No fan of the greatest films scored by Ennio Morricone or Georges Delerue could disagree. Just because post-scoring is a Hollywood norm doesn't make it normal.

I have no issues with this way of scoring either.

-Erik-
  7. Okaaaaayy then... the national guard has been recalled. A bout of morning earnestness there on my part. shame
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Backdraft was what put Zimmer on my radar.

Alan, stop talking about Zimmer! rolleyes

You tell im Steven, he never bloody stops does he!?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregt wrote
    Sorry for going off topic in this Hans Zimmer thread. But I'm playing The Talented Mr Ripley which was composed by Gabriel Yared some era's ago. After the excellent concert last Saturday, which suprisingly for this time of the year didn't feature any electronic instrument, I had to hear it again.

It's one of my favourites of this non-Zimmer composer. Lullaby for Cain (performed by Sinead O'Conner) is as good as Zimmer's lullaby in The Prince of Egypt. I cannot deny I am often tempted to think of Hans Zimmer when listening to The Talented Mr Ripley, because, yes .., talented both are! That's why my post could be declared on-topic after all!

However, Yared seems to know a thing or two about themes too and I absolutely recommend this score to all Zimmer fans (and it's on Spotify, but only if you look for the album itself).

THE TALENTED MR RIPLEY

...is a bloody wonderful album, I love the mix of score and period tracks, it's brilliant and very surprisingly ( no, be still your beating hearts for I doth speak the truth ) it's not by Hans Zimmer, shocking YES? But also true.

Bregt, I recommend you also try RIPLEY'S GAME, shockingly it's a superb score that's not written by Hans Zimmer. It's written by ENNIO MORRICONE who, even amongst film score fans, only a very few people have heard of.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  8. Both RIPLEY scores are superb. I really need to dig out RIPLEY'S GAME again actually. Haven't heard it in yonks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Samples from Varese Sarabande: A 35th Anniversary Celebration, 2013

I think this is a thoughtful put together compilation. A 4-CD set for 20 €: You can do no wrong here.

About 20% of the scores represented here are part of my collection. So 80% I have not. Since one cannot collect everything, I regard this set a great extension of my collection.

I miss those best-of-the-year compilations VS used to do before Christmas during the 90s.

Volker

Fantastic! I hadn't heard of this news before now! The 25th anniversary celebration albums were wonderful and I discovered tons of goodies because of them. Gotta get my hands on this new one.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Galapagos - Mark Isham

Flavourful, lyrical score with some well placed moments of 'awe and wonder' for what I think was an Imax documentary. Definitely a nice throwback to a mode of composing he hasn't undertaken to great effect in recent years.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2013 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    I had big issues with Inception. I think The Dark Knight came the closest to being truly great but I can't put it above Pirates 3.

-Erik-

Same here, although I think Inception works great in the movie (I watched it at home and had no problems with the sound mix, I could understand everything quite well), and "Time" is a fantastic track (especially when attached to that Charlie Chaplin speech biggrin ), but TDK was much better. Pirates 3, though, didn´t leave my car player for weeks, which is my personal greatness criteria. ^^
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    franz_conrad wrote
    The mix of INCEPTION is a curious issue. I also found when I saw it, there was a sense of strain to hear dialogue (particularly Ken Watanabe's). At other moments in the film, the music was incredibly loud in the cinema. It seems to have been a thing for some viewers but not others -- perhaps there was a quirk to the way it was mixed for 5.1 such that it played very differently in different spaces.

I don't notice it on the DVD, but I remember in the cinema Time seemed incredibly loud to a point where I though "why?".
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Timmer wrote
    Bregt, I recommend you also try RIPLEY'S GAME, shockingly it's a superb score that's not written by Hans Zimmer. It's written by ENNIO MORRICONE who, even amongst film score fans, only a very few people have heard of.

I haven't heard either of Ennio Morricone before but will check it out. So not unsurprisingly, it's not on Spotify.

In my continued quest to play Zimmer related scores:
    BAND OF BROTHERS | michael kamen

Its sequel was composed by Neely and Zimmer and friends, so it seems obvious that Kamen's score is directly connected with Hans Zimmer. It's one of those scores that starts of with a fantastic couple of tracks, then gets a bit of peace and takes on again for almost the whole album. Parapluie, Boy eats Chocolate, Plaisir d'Amour, ... All such a heartbreaking beautiful tracks.

Actually, the scene during Boy eats Chocolate reminds me of a story of my 92 year old grandma. When their village was liberated during WWII, she told about the soldiers that passed through and they were all happy and smoking. They also brought chocolate. Some incredible stories she has! smile
    Kazoo
  9. biggrin

It's actually very interesting that Neely worked on The Pacific... He was a former orchestrator for Kamen (working with him until his untimely death).
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Nothing can stop me. Next in row is the dark score for PANIC ROOM by Howard Shore. For obvious reasons, this score is undoubtedly related to the composer of this thread. I liked this score a lot in the film, especially the main titles sequence, which really sets the mood. It's often bigger then you'd expect for this type of movie (which is a bit Shore's style anyway). Lots of brass bursts and deep and low strings. The album is also shorter then the duration of some of Zimmer's recent tracks, which is a contradictory connection.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I'm still on a Zimmer kick. Big whoop. Wanna fight about it?

NP: K2 - Hans Zimmer

Pretty inspiring stuff.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote

Pretty inspiring stuff.

-Erik-

biggrin

I think you're reinforcing for yourself that Zimmer is actually very good sometimes after having endured his appalling MAN OF STEEL score wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    MAN OF BICENTENNIAL | james horner

What some may consider silly, might in fact be true. But I will ignore those thoughts. Here's a man that is entirely of the metal Bicentennial, a substance that is harder then the syruppy music suggests. It's full of recognizable themes and tunes and wedding music. It was a long time ago I heard it but I think I will turn it off. Zimmer related scores are not always as good as the original source.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Pretty inspiring stuff.

-Erik-

biggrin

I think you're reinforcing for yourself that Zimmer is actually very good sometimes after having endured his appalling MAN OF STEEL score wink

Bingo!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Inception - Hans Zimmer

A great stand alone concert work. Not a very good film score.

-Erik-