• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. NP: The Cursed Crusade - Markus Schmidt

Not a "caped crusader" but a "cursed crusader", I believe that this music is from a videogame. And it's epic: percussion, grand choral parts and some "ethnic" influences. Try out this Spanish-tinged track, "Esteban Noviembre"

http://youtu.be/lbiSLmdJg7I
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2013
    I'm enjoying the new MSM soundtrack All You Need is Love from Soderqvist.
    Tom smile
    listen to more classical music!
  2. sdtom wrote
    I'm enjoying the new MSM soundtrack All You Need is Love from Soderqvist.
    Tom smile

I much prefer Söderqvist's darker scoring. Rom-Com scores tend to be the sort that I just can't listen to. But it does seem to be getting some very positive comments, so just ignore my negativity!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2013
    It won't win any awards but it is nice to listen to while I'm typing. Not intruding at all.
    Tom smile
    listen to more classical music!
  3. Hans Zimmer - The Thin Red Line

After spending the better part of the day listening to the mammooth release of Star Trek: The Motion Picture including the legendary and classic theme in about 20 performances in a not-much-changed arrangement, I decided to soothe a bit with this beauty smile .
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  4. Miya wrote
    After not having played film scores much for several months except several animated favorites (TLK and HTTYD and such), this week I suddenly fell into Thomas Newman mood. I repeated this album a lot for a few days. I don't know why. dizzy

NP: Road To Perdition

Because it's his best score, which says a lot. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2013
    Miya wrote
    After not having played film scores much for several months except several animated favorites (TLK and HTTYD and such), this week I suddenly fell into Thomas Newman mood. I repeated this album a lot for a few days. I don't know why. dizzy

NP: Road To Perdition

Me too. I know why, it's one of his best! So many beautiful and very string pieces in here. Melancholy at its best!
    Kazoo
  5. Just went on an Olivier Deriviere listening spree over at Youtube, to see what the big deal was. I sampled tracks from four different scores, including two highly-talked about ones:
    "Remember Me"
    "Alone in the Dark"

So. My reactions went from: slant to vomit

There endeth my sampling of Olivier Deriviere scores.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  6. Enjoy the 20th century back there. smile
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  7. franz_conrad wrote
    Enjoy the 20th century back there. smile

I will, since there is a century of unheard music to explore. I'll die only having heard a fraction thereof.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  8. Right. As I will go on enjoying the 70s and 80s.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  9. I am playing myself! biggrin

(No, Thor, not with myself.)

5 years ago I became interested in music production via DAW and vst/vsti. Since I have always been an electronica geek, I thought this could be a great way to get into digital music production.

Yet I discovered then that I lacked the hardware power to really do it decently.

Now, I bought a new PC a few month ago and it dawned on me that I could as well give it another go.

This time it works perfectly! Concerning the DAW I opted for Magix Music Studio, which is plain and simple and great for amateurs and beginners. I used QBase 5 years ago and found it quite overhelming.

I have installed a number of free plugins, Magix (Yellow Tools), Native Instruments and others. It all runs smoothly.

The icing: I just reactivated my old Native Instruments FM8 licence.

Since my tenager years I always dreamt of owning a Yamaha DX7 synth. Well, I won't enter the stage and so the NIFM8 is even better. State of the art frequency modulation wit all the factory patches of the DX7 on board.

I won't be able to really dive into this until the summer break. Very exited anyhow!

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Hans Zimmer - The Thin Red Line

After spending the better part of the day listening to the mammooth release of Star Trek: The Motion Picture including the legendary and classic theme in about 20 performances in a not-much-changed arrangement, I decided to soothe a bit with this beauty smile .

A masterpiece! I don't think Hans Zimmer will ever wrote another score like this one, but I'm happy he composed this masterpiece.

Speaking of masterpieces:

NP: Memoirs of a Geisha - John Williams
  10. NP: The Adventures of Don Juan - Max Steiner, Tribute, 1948/2010
    William Stromberg conducting the Moscow Symphony Orchestra

Man, what a release!

Volker
  11. Cristian wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Hans Zimmer - The Thin Red Line

A masterpiece! I don't think Hans Zimmer will ever wrote another score like this one, but I'm happy he composed this masterpiece.

Malick brings the best out of composers, even if he hardly uses their music in the end. -_-
  12. If I were to say that I find the majority of Malick's scores to be dull, would that induce a shitstorm?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    If I were to say that I find the majority of Malick's scores to be dull, would that induce a shitstorm?

shocked biggrin

I think I'd be happier if you said his films were dull.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  13. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    If I were to say that I find the majority of Malick's scores to be dull, would that induce a shitstorm?

Yes, as it should.
  14. Edmund Meinerts wrote

Would you agree, that Morricone's Days of Heaven represents the minority here? cheesy

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Timmer wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

shocked biggrin

His films are masterpieces.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Cristian wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

shocked biggrin

To some.

NP : THE LEGEND OF THE LONE RANGER - John Barry

I don't imagine anyone would call this 1981 film a masterpiece but the stunning photography and John Barry's score are both worthy.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  15. Captain Future wrote
    Would you agree, that Morricone's Days of Heaven represents the minority here? cheesy

Haven't actually heard that one. I love "Journey to the Line" and to a slightly lesser extent "Stone in My Heart" but other than that The Thin Red Line kind of...well, bores me is too harsh, but it's headed in that direction. Tree of Life really does bore me for the most part and To the Wonder is even worse. The New World is quite pleasant but, again, nothing mind blowing for me (though it has been a while since I last listened to it).

In my opinion, the music written for his films (I hesitate to actually call them "scores" as they rarely end up not functioning as such) is way too cerebral at the expense of true heart. There are exceptions in certain cues but yeah, for the most part, it's just not for me.
  16. Timmer wrote
    Cristian wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

shocked biggrin

To some.

To most. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    The New World is quite pleasant but, again, nothing mind blowing for me (though it has been a while since I last listened to it).

I don't have much of an opinion about any of the others, but The New World might be one of my five favorite musical albums of all time. The themes are the finest of Horner's career IMO. But its a highly personal score for me too so I'm definitely biased.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Cristian wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

shocked biggrin

To some.

To most. wink

Name them! tongue wink
  17. Badlands, Days of Heaven, The Thin Red Line, The New World, The Tree of Life (his magnum opus), and To the Wonder.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Badlands, Days of Heaven, The Thin Red Line, The New World, The Tree of Life (his magnum opus), and To the Wonder.

Best post of the year!
  18. I've never seen a Terrance Malick Film.

THE NEW WORLD is the only score to a Malick film that does anything for me (it is lovely).

I just finished playing G.I. JOE: RETALIATION. Yuck.

Now I'm playing DREAMER - John Debney. Much better! I like this score. It's one of Debney's best, imo.
  19. Got another CD in trade, "The Bodyguard" (Silvestri)

I'm probably half-way in, but it's great to have this personal hold grail finally, and fantastic LLLR did it.

This only reaffirms my love of the score.

The slow stuff in the beginning reminds me of some of the soft, slow string work on the TV series "In the Heat of the Night" (like David Bell's work), and some of the action material clearly has building blocks in what would later become some of the action material in "Eraser".

The soft woodwind material reminds me of tracks from "The Mission".
  20. Ah, a Terrence Malick discussion that, true to now playing form, gets into none of the details and just ends up being a list of what everyone doesn't/does like. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am