• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Bringing up the subject of the use of a wind machine sort of highlights how little I have thought this through - and also highlights how arbitrary my likes/dislikes can be!

I would say that wind machines are a bit more "OK" than whale song but it does sort of put me off. I do like the "Waiting For Cousteau" tracks that feature sounds of the sea. In fact, this album - specifically the final long track - was used as "calming music" when Anne was in labour delivering Rachel.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2013
    You've just reminded me of Clannad's music for the BBC's ATLANTIC REALM, some of that includes sound effects of the sea and of bird life.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    To me, it all depends on how well the sound effects fit with the music...for example, I usually can't stand dialogue on film albums....but I love Morricone's "Sinfonia per Baaria" because it all fits together so beautifully, as if the pitches and rhythms of the various words and sounds were specifically chosen to harmonize with the music itself. Its a whole level of artistry above your typical "lol lets overlay spoken words from the movie from the same scene as this music".
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  2. NP: The Possession - Anton Sanko

A great little score this one. Just the right amount of dissonant "horror writing" and listenable orchestral music.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. NP: A Beautiful Mind - James Horner

The second listen reveals the beauty of this score.

Next up:
    Driving Miss Daisy - Hans Zimmer

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  4. Hans Zimmer - Man of Steel

OK, guys, I'm sorry. I'm definitely going to like this score. Second listen reveals some details, which make me disagree with some of the points made online.

That said, I am still not sure that after my review will be written, I'll ever get back to the original suites on CD 2.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Hans Zimmer - Man of Steel

OK, guys, I'm sorry. I'm definitely going to like this score. Second listen reveals some details, which make me disagree with some of the points made online.

That said, I am still not sure that after my review will be written, I'll ever get back to the original suites on CD 2.

I don't think you should be sorry for listening to something you like.

Anyway, I'm tired of reading about anything concerning Zimmer's score wink

NP : BODY HEAT - John Barry

Bliss! Thank you FSM.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. I have two scores to listen to as far from Hans Zimmer as it gets after Man of Steel. One has been unanimously praised on this forum for last week or so and another one is purely from another time (and, as I see, a composer who rarely gets mentioned on this forum, sadly. And he's brilliant! I'm very excited for that one and I might as well start with that particular score) smile .

When I get a certain opinion of the MoS score, do expect a traditional essay from me wink . But it might be the last time I'll mention this score for a longer while, I got other film music works to attend to smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2013 edited
    NP: The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug - Howard Shore

I think it has too much brass and not enough choir. It should be the other way around. Also, the new Laketown theme sounds way too much like the Rohan theme. Shore has obviously run out of creativity on this one. And too much ostinato in the action tracks. Almost sounds like a Zimmer score sometimes! crazy

Still better than his Twilight score though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Tuck everlasting (William Ross)

Still getting to know it, but rather enjoying it so far.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Scribe wrote

I think it has too much brass and not enough choir. It should be the other way around. Also, the new Laketown theme sounds way too much like the Rohan theme. Shore has obviously run out of creativity on this one. And too much ostinato in the action tracks. Almost sounds like a Zimmer score sometimes! crazy

Odd. I've heard something else then. Perhaps you were listening to the rejected score.

I agree that the themes are as weak as they are in other major blockbusters this year. tongue
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregt wrote
    Scribe wrote

Odd. I've heard something else then. Perhaps you were listening to the rejected score.

I agree that the themes are as weak as they are in other major blockbusters this year. tongue

uhm
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Scribe wrote

Is it december already?! I had a long sleep, but this is a record!

Scribe wrote
    I think it has too much brass and not enough choir. It should be the other way around.

You think it should have too much choir and not enough brass? tongue

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : WILD ARABIA - Barnaby Taylor

Thanks for the common sense advice Bregt wink beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    NP : WILD ARABIA - Barnaby Taylor

Thanks for the common sense advice Bregt wink beer

Nothing mind-blowing but it is very enjoyable, I like it. cool

I see his score for WILD CHINA is also on spotify so I'll give that a go too.
  6. Jerry Fielding - Beyond the Poseidon Adventure

Ironically, I don't think I've heard the generally disliked (right?) John Williams score, but after hearing the brilliant The Nightcomers and some other stuff (a friend of mine and fellow reviewer is a huge fan of Fielding), I am very much inclined to finally try this out.

It's a composer who left us way too early (he was in his 50s, wasn't he?) and definitely talented, pity that we don't see enough of him on this board.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Jerry Fielding - Beyond the Poseidon Adventure

Ironically, I don't think I've heard the generally disliked (right?) John Williams score, but after hearing the brilliant The Nightcomers and some other stuff (a friend of mine and fellow reviewer is a huge fan of Fielding), I am very much inclined to finally try this out.

It's a composer who left us way too early (he was in his 50s, wasn't he?) and definitely talented, pity that we don't see enough of him on this board.

Yes, he was still young when he died ( 57 or 58 ), I remember being quite shocked when reading it in some film music magazine ( the ONLY way for most of us, back in the day, to get any information ). I agree that he was a very talented and very skilled composer but I find so little of his stuff connects with me away from the film, as a film composer he was special, no doubt. He's one of those composers I wish I could enjoy more.

As for Williams score, I don't think it's that people dislike it, more that beyond the superb theme that there isn't really much to latch on to.

Here's The Theme
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Good Will Hunting - Danny Elfman

A musical kaleidoscope and one of my all time favourite dramatic scores from the composer.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Good Will Hunting - Danny Elfman

A musical kaleidoscope and one of my all time favourite dramatic scores from the composer.

-Erik-

And still no official score release! A shame, even if the promo is obtainable for those of us who want it.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: That Score by That Composer

Now I'm listening to the original album in lossless quality and I can say for sure that all* the sound quality issues I heard were a product of the apparently awful spotify version. Consequently I absolutely love the score now. Its like a glorious buffet of all of Zimmer's tricks from the early 90s all the way up to Inception and TDKR. And being a fan of Zack Snyder as well, it sounds like it will work marvelously with his cinematography.

*well, most of...I just heard the bass clip awkwardly in "Terraforming"
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I'm going to disagree with you on the sound issues. I've had the album for a while now (not the transcoded Spotify files) and it still sounds thin and grating... at least to my ears.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    The orchestral parts do sound a bit thin and distant to me as well but I think of that more as a deliberate mixing choice rather than an actual sound quality issue. The orchestra is just one part of the soundscape, sharing with the equal or greater presence of the drums, synths, guitars and vocals...I think in this case the mixing is very sonically pleasant. But if one is preferential towards traditional orchestral scores I can see how it would be very off-putting...
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    This CD really ought to come with a parental guidance label actually. The percussion is wantonly having sex with my ears shocked
  7. You're gonna needs a lot of Q-tips afterwards.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Scribe wrote
    The orchestral parts do sound a bit thin and distant to me as well but I think of that more as a deliberate mixing choice rather than an actual sound quality issue. The orchestra is just one part of the soundscape, sharing with the equal or greater presence of the drums, synths, guitars and vocals...I think in this case the mixing is very sonically pleasant. But if one is preferential towards traditional orchestral scores I can see how it would be very off-putting...

IMO, I've heard better sounding rock albums. The high and mid range take over the entire listening experience.

Another thought... there's supposed to be 12-15 drummers playing at the same time, right? It doesn't sound like it. I was actually expecting Zimmer to play with the sound fields a bit with that many players especially after seeing the picture of them performing. They are set up in a circle in the studio. It would have been cool for Zimmer to work with the left, centre, right channels (and if you have 5.1 the rear channels) to create something truly interesting and creative. Call and answers <-- Or is that too symphonic of an idiom?

-Erik-
  8. Playing the devil's advocate here, Hans has his mind very much set on the 5.1 film mix always - he refuses to listen to his scores in album versions, because he can't listen to them outside of that 5.1 mix, so we'll see.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Erik, I'm not sure what equipment you're using to listen to the score, but what I'm hearing is some of the most massive, thunderous and powerful drum work I've ever heard on a recording. And its actually the first time I've ever felt truly satisfied with the depth of the low range on a Zimmer score. I usually feel like his percussion and bassy synths need more oomph to them....not here, at last.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE PAPER CHASE (John Williams)

Rarely talked about, but a nice listen -- from the funky 70's stuff to the smooth jazz to the quasi-baroque pastiche.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Scribe wrote
    Erik, I'm not sure what equipment you're using to listen to the score, but what I'm hearing is some of the most massive, thunderous and powerful drum work I've ever heard on a recording. And its actually the first time I've ever felt truly satisfied with the depth of the low range on a Zimmer score. I usually feel like his percussion and bassy synths need more oomph to them....not here, at last.

Paradigm Speakers on a Samsung set up with a very nice subwoofer! Remember Me blew my socks off sonically. Man of Steel not so much!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Ah, Remember Me. What a breath of fresh air that score is.