• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Timmer wrote
    Scribe wrote
    NP: After Earth - James Newton Howard

It makes me sad that this may very well be the last Shyamalan feature film. I love both the score and the film, of course. I think its my 2nd favorite score of the year so far after Velazquez' The Last Days. As always with this collaboration, Howard's music fits the film like a glove and perfectly compliments the film's emotions, being neither overstated nor too subtle.

I'm amazed, considering how many bummers he's made since SIGNS that he's still given a chance.

Take into account that producers and directors might have other whishes concerning the music for their films than we have. Maybe JNH just delivers.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2013
    Thor wrote
    NP: STARGATE (David Arnold)

His best score? Unashamedly lush. This is the original album, of course, which balances nicely between the bombastic and the romantic.

Possibly! But my heart says Independence Day. He's certainly never written (co-written?) anything as impressive as the end credits suite. In fact, few people have.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Superman: The Movie - John Williams

Spinning this to try and forget the hour I wasted with MAN OF STEEL. This is the Royal Scottish National Orchestra re-recording, which I like very much.

-Erik-

Once THAT theme starts up it is guaranteed to banish ALL unwanted and irrelevant sounds biggrin punk
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Bregt wrote
    lp wrote
    Has anyone received the release in the mail yet? I bought the Deluxe version using Amazon Prime and it ought to arrive today. Or that's what I expect from Prime.

It's on Spotify since this weekend I think, that's how I heard it.

Thanks for the info. I like what I'm hearing, for the most parts. I'm jumping throughout the playlist. The various little 30sec-1min clips seems to suggests, and I can confirm now, that there are several thematic materials floating around the score. A piano melody that leads into a two note (modulated?) march of sort and a theme. The final track seems to encompass this new theme. And each of those elements seems to be very malleable and have their own moments in various guise of musical arrangements. There's a track that just percussion only and I HATE IT. I hope it serves a purpose in the movie, or else, it's the worse track on the album.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Scribe wrote

It makes me sad that this may very well be the last Shyamalan feature film. I love both the score and the film, of course. I think its my 2nd favorite score of the year so far after Velazquez' The Last Days. As always with this collaboration, Howard's music fits the film like a glove and perfectly compliments the film's emotions, being neither overstated nor too subtle.

I'm amazed, considering how many bummers he's made since SIGNS that he's still given a chance.

Take into account that producers and directors might have other whishes concerning the music for their films than we have. Maybe JNH just delivers.

Volker

I was talking about Shyamalan, not JNH.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Timmer wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Scribe wrote

Volker

I was talking about Shyamalan, not JNH.

Ahh! I could have known of course, had I read the complete thread.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    MAN OF STEEL HANS ZIMMER

OMG THIS IS THE NEW SKYFALL.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    MAN OF STEEL HANS ZIMMER

OMG THIS IS THE NEW SKYFALL.

lol beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I didn't want to have to quote you but you just never fucking know do you? hell, i'm taking a death defying chance right here and now with this post
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    biggrin (In response to Timmer's post here.)
  3. Timmer wrote
    Scribe wrote

Tim, for what it's worth, Mark Kermode puts After Earth firmly in the "bummer" bucket.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I haven't read one good review yet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Scribe wrote

What are you talking about, the last Shyamalan film?
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Timmer wrote
    Scribe wrote

Do you realise that he has a lot of fans? And his movies are better than most of the movies from Hollywood these days.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Timmer wrote

The best way is to see the movie yourself.
  4. A warning - or a hint. I am removing from my Facebook news feed people who are pathologically enthusiastic on Man of Steel, particularly if they are still pathologically enthusiastic after having listened to the score.

Several dozen gushing comments on the score followed by the initiation of another post leading to several dozen more gushing comments on the score is something that I can do without.

crazy
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2013 edited
    Cristian wrote
    Do you realise that he has a lot of fans? And his movies are better than most of the movies from Hollywood these days.

Are you from a parallel universe? How did you account for the spacetime flux when traveling through the wormhole? Teach me!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Cristian wrote

Ed Wood has fans yet his movies are still terrible.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Cristian wrote
    Scribe wrote

I just don't see how anyone is going to give him any money after this latest box office disaster. Unless the international market rescues it. But the last I read estimated its international total to be barely $200 million which means its total will be about $260 which is barely twice the production budget. Studios don't want profits that low :P Although now that I say it, its really not that bad. Maybe there is still hope. I just really expected this film to rescue Shyamalan's reputation because Will Smith projects always do well....until now....
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    A warning - or a hint. I am removing from my Facebook news feed people who are pathologically enthusiastic on Man of Steel, particularly if they are still pathologically enthusiastic after having listened to the score.

Several dozen gushing comments on the score followed by the initiation of another post leading to several dozen more gushing comments on the score is something that I can do without.

crazy

applause

personally Alan, I see a glimpse and scroll on by wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Cristian wrote
    Timmer wrote

Unfortunately I've done that with his later movies, Lady In The Water, The Last Airbender, The Happening....none were good. You don't have to see shit when you can smell it from a distance.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Erik Woods wrote
    Cristian wrote

-Erik-

For his fans his movies aren't terrible.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Man of Steel - Hans Zimmer

"If You Love These People" is as awesome as I thought it'd be, though the synth really got in the way in certain parts.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2013 edited
    Scribe wrote
    Cristian wrote
    Scribe wrote

I just don't see how anyone is going to give him any money after this latest box office disaster. Unless the international market rescues it. But the last I read estimated its international total to be barely $200 million which means its total will be about $260 which is barely twice the production budget. Studios don't want profits that low :P Although now that I say it, its really not that bad. Maybe there is still hope. I just really expected this film to rescue Shyamalan's reputation because Will Smith projects always do well....until now....

Don't worry he will still make small budget movies. Maybe it's for the better because he will have more freedom for his ideas.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Cristian wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Cristian wrote

-Erik-

But his fans are aware they are terrible and that's why he has a fan following.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Timmer wrote
    Cristian wrote
    Timmer wrote

Unfortunately I've done that with his later movies, Lady In The Water, The Last Airbender, The Happening....none were good. You don't have to see shit when you can smell it from a distance.

Ok then stay away smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Cristian wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Cristian wrote

-Erik-

But his fans are aware they are terrible and that's why he has a fan following.

yeah
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  5. FalkirkBairn wrote
    A warning - or a hint. I am removing from my Facebook news feed people who are pathologically enthusiastic on Man of Steel, particularly if they are still pathologically enthusiastic after having listened to the score.

crazy

I, for a wholly different reason, blocked Krisztina on Facebook. She's totally dumb. But at least I don't have to read, pardon my French, her masturbating on my news feed. You know, I have my sense of aesthetics.

That said,

Hans Zimmer - Man of Steel

You can actually talk about 4 themes in this score. I like it and I'm finishing the first CD at the moment. Some action music I find a bit awkward, but it's on a wholly different side of things than Superman was.

There is more major key in this score than there was in, I would say, all Hans Zimmer scores since... Batman Begins? I am in love with the little piano figure, beautifully turned into an intimate piece in This Is Clark Kent. Will need repeated listens before I am actually allowed to give it a proper rating and analysis, but while I don't find it a masterpiece or to top the John Williams score (which I might get back to today, but I have another musical "assignment" for today, let's say that someone recommended me a score by a composer that fascinates me, will put it in this thread, when I get to listen). But it hasn't disappointed me. He's picking himself up after a huge lowpoint in his career 2 years ago.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Now bash me at will biggrin

I think you'll be OK around these parts since I'm probably the only real Horner fanatic, and besides, everyone seems to have a new score to talk about! (Am I the only person who hasn't heard it!?) But I will issue a riposte in due course, time permitting. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Music Not From Man of Steel - Brian Kilkline

There's some interesting stuff here but I'm not really sure about that surprise Blu Ray Audio bonus disc with "Brian's Original Sketchbook (aka Unpolished Turd)" - I just checked and it lasts for 13 days!