• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I would say something about his stuff, but slightly too drunk to hold a rational argument wink
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. I would too, except that I haven't actually seen any of his films yet. I guess I'm guilty of judging books by covers here, but it just seems to be really not my thing. And neither are the scores. I'm kinda more the mindless entertainment type, really...
  3. Fair enough. I want a drunken pawel essay though! smile
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2013
    Jack the Giant Slayer- John Ottman

Not a masterpiece by any means but in fairness, I'm listening to this after trying to trying to give Man of Steel another fair chance. Well, I made it about ten minutes into Zimmer's latest and Ottman's effort is a breath of fresh air.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Nicely said Josh. I share your sentiment!
  4. NP: Madagascar (2005) - Hans Zimmer & various

So there is a bunch of cues by other composers and from other films, such as Chariots of Fire and Born Free assambled rather stereotypically ...

... and there is the last cue by Hans Zimmer that really thrilled me without reserve: "Zooster's Breakout". This fun, melodic and way to short cue reminds me of all I once loved about this composer. Ah, well ...

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  5. NP: Upstream Color (Shane Carruth)

If you've got an interest in ambient-minimalist scoring (Cliff Martinez's Solaris or Contagion, for example), get this. One of those scores by a director that really is the breath and heartbeat of the film.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  6. Captain Future wrote
    ... and there is the last cue by Hans Zimmer that really thrilled me without reserve: "Zooster's Breakout". This fun, melodic and way to short cue reminds me of all I once loved about this composer. Ah, well ...

That cue is a lot of fun but is it really enough for a composer to only deliver one short cue of any kind of quality whatsoever?
  7. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Captain Future wrote

That cue is a lot of fun but is it really enough for a composer to only deliver one short cue of any kind of quality whatsoever?

Well the first cue - "Best Friends" - is nice, too, still I find that score far from satisfying. I just wanted to indicate that this melodic pop cue shows where Zimmer's real strength lies. He used to be a blessed melody maker, I'm sure he still is.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: The Little Mermaid - Alan Menken & Howard Ashman

I've been wanting to see their pre-Disney collaboration, Little Shop of Horrors, and again I tried to find it in another rental video store and found nothing. crazy
    (I've heard songs on YouTube before, and thinking about buying the "New Broadway Cast" version.)
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Madagascar (2005) - Hans Zimmer & various

So there is a bunch of cues by other composers and from other films, such as Chariots of Fire and Born Free assambled rather stereotypically ...

Volker

The end credit had a nice variation of "Zooster's Breakout" (arranged by someone else if I remember correctly?), and I think I found a bootleg track somewhere.

Anyway, I can't believe Madagascar is so popular in the US. It bored me as much as Monsters vs Aliens for example, but why is it much more popular? rolleyes
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : PAPILLON - Jerry Goldsmith

Great score to a great film, Schaffer's best IMO.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Badlands, Days of Heaven, The Thin Red Line, The New World, The Tree of Life (his magnum opus), and To the Wonder.

I asked for that. shame wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  8. franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Upstream Color (Shane Carruth)

If you've got an interest in ambient-minimalist scoring (Cliff Martinez's Solaris or Contagion, for example), get this. One of those scores by a director that really is the breath and heartbeat of the film.

I am not keen on all of this but there are some excellent tracks on this (but the titles are too long to type out on my phone's keypad.)
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Badlands, Days of Heaven, The Thin Red Line, The New World, The Tree of Life (his magnum opus), and To the Wonder.

I asked for that. shame wink

I get the feeling the joke was unintentional... uhm
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Was playing: That Score That Composer

Atham said it quite well; at first it was quite enjoyable, in a 'Big Mac' kind of way... now it's just leaving a bad taste in the mouth.

Goldsmith! Save me!

First Knight knight Jerry Goldsmith

Praise be to Goldsmith!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2013 edited
    Steven wrote
    Atham said it quite well; at first it was quite enjoyable, in a 'Big Mac' kind of way... now it's just leaving a bad taste in the mouth.

I think the major key and overall upbeat nature of the score finds itself at odds with the film a lot of the time. The film is actually pretty dark. I noticed this awkward contrast right away in the beginning Krypton sequence...you have scenes that are apocalypticly sad and weighty, but then you have the score being all generic upbeat action wallpaper as [spoiler]Zod is chasing Jor-El around[/spoiler]...I wanted those scenes to be scored in a way that brought out the feelings of the vast and terrible tragedy that was occurring. Some big choir and classic Zimmer adagios would have been great. Instead, we get the Zimmer equivalent of action mickey-mousing. I almost get the sense Zimmer was afraid to put too much emotion into the Krypton sequence for fear of making the finale pale in comparison. But, he should have learned from the great works of our time that its ok to have fantastic music at the beginning of a film too! Imagine if Shore had low-keyed his way through the Fellowship of the Ring prologue for fear of out-epic-ing the end of the film. Nonsense! Openings that feature great battles and the fall of civilizations should be scored appropriately. In the Krypton sequence, [spoiler]it wasn't just a guy chasing around another guy to try to imprison/kill him, which was all the music seemed to be conveying....it was actually two men carrying out what they believed were their final, pivotal acts before the end of the world with the fate of their civilization hanging in the balance. Make us feel that![/spoiler]

On the other hand, the sound in the theater was mixed horrendously...so maybe I missed some of what Zimmer was trying to do. I'm seeing it again in a good theater next weekend.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2013 edited
    Steven wrote

Goldsmith! Save me!

First Knight knight Jerry Goldsmith

Praise be to Goldsmith!

love

One of them is the greatest film composer ever. The other one tries very hard and is called Hans Zimmer.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2013
    NP : LES MISERABLES - Basil Poledouris

This is right proper! I can't be entertaining any of that musical version shit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Captain Future wrote

To be fair, the movie is crammed with pop songs, so there's very little room for proper film music. Despite of this (t)he(y) did provide music that gives the movie a lot of charm and really adds to the characters, plus a couple of the themes are rather catchy. Due to all the pop music, the albums are a mixed experience. But selecting my favourite tracks from all 3 movies, results in a rather enjoyable half hour listen:

Best friends (M1)
    Zooster's breakout (M1)
    Beacon of liberty (M1)
    End credits (M1, not on the official release)
    Once upon a time in Africa (M2)
    Rescue me (M2)
    Foofie (M2)
    New York City surprise (M3)
    Light the hoop on fire (M3)
    Fur power (M3)

Peter smile
  9. Timmer wrote
    NP : LES MISERABLES - Basil Poledouris

This is right proper! I can't be entertaining any of that musical version shit.

Well, I like the musical (on stage and on screen) not being much of a musical fan otherwise.

I don't know this Poldeouris version but I can recommend the one by Arthur Honneger.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Captain, get the Poledouris.
    Seriously.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  10. It's out of print and over 60€. Ridiculous.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    $17.99
    https://www.secondspin.com/music/produc … ?id=811475

You're welcome! smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Scribe wrote
    Steven wrote

I think the major key and overall upbeat nature of the score finds itself at odds with the film a lot of the time.

Upbeat? uhm
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I understand why Remember Me gets those Matrix nods (especially rhytmically, then jungle/D&B vibe is VERY strongly grounded in the nineties), but I have to say that if there are any echoes of giants' shoulders here it would, to me, be rather synthesiser vanguards Isao Tomita or Jean-Michel Jarre than Davis.

Anyway and as that may be, great score! Really, really enjoyable!

I'm going to listen to his Destination: Treasure Island next.
    And I do hope Remember Me will get a phyiscal release one day!
  11. Martijn wrote
    $17.99

You're welcome! smile

I trust in your and Timmer's taste: ordered!

Thanks!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    Martijn wrote
    $17.99

You're welcome! smile

I trust in your and Timmer's taste: ordered!

Thanks!

That calls for THIS staple nugget of the MT board cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : UNFORGIVEN - Lennie Niehaus & Clint Eastwood

A very fine score to a brilliant film, Claudia's Theme ( written by Clint ) is beautiful but it's Niehaus brooding and ominous scoring I love the most.
  12. Timmer wrote
    NP : UNFORGIVEN - Lennie Niehaus & Clint Eastwood

A very fine score to a brilliant film, Claudia's Theme ( written by Clint ) is beautiful but it's Niehaus brooding and ominous scoring I love the most.

I always felt this was a huge missed opportunity. Sure, my subconciousness demanded Ennio Morricone, but anyhow, that one never grew on me.