• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2013
    Captain Future wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : UNFORGIVEN - Lennie Niehaus & Clint Eastwood

A very fine score to a brilliant film, Claudia's Theme ( written by Clint ) is beautiful but it's Niehaus brooding and ominous scoring I love the most.

I always felt this was a huge missed opportunity. Sure, my subconciousness demanded Ennio Morricone, but anyhow, that one never grew on me.

I think the score works perfectly, it's chilling even. Even if Morricone had scored it, it would have been very different to his popular western scores, the film demands that.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Upstream Color (Shane Carruth)

If you've got an interest in ambient-minimalist scoring (Cliff Martinez's Solaris or Contagion, for example), get this. One of those scores by a director that really is the breath and heartbeat of the film.

Intriguing!
    I am extremely serious.
  1. All right then:

NP: The Rock - (1996) Nick Glennie-Smith

Nothing to detest here, not even concidering the changes this score brought about.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. NP - LES AIGUILLES ROUGES - Frederic Talgorn

This is only the third score of Talgorn's I've heard (MOLIERE and THE PRESIDENT) being the other two. He's quite a talent, isn't he? I'm impressed. I've wanted this score for some time (ever since I heard Chris Tilton say that it was one of only two scores that he considered worth buying from that year (I think it was 2006)). I finally found a used copy for less than $20. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    christopher wrote
    NP - LES AIGUILLES ROUGES - Frederic Talgorn

This is only the third score of Talgorn's I've heard (MOLIERE and THE PRESIDENT) being the other two. He's quite a talent, isn't he?

Yes he is. Wanna hear more?

http://www.cinematicsound.net/foreign-f … c-part-ii/

And you need to find HEAVY METAL 2000. One of the greatest sci-fi film scores of all time!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: The Celestine Prophecy - Nuno Malo

'Tis good.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Cool! Is it similar to his last year's beautiful score for the Naranja stuff?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Bregt wrote
    Cool! Is it similar to his last year's beautiful score for the Naranja stuff?

I did not hear that one. It's mostly string-driven with some ethnic woodwind stuff. The combination of the music and the track titles reminded me vaguely of "The Mission", obviously its not quite on that level, but its rather profoundly beautiful at some points, especially towards the end, it definitely has a proper climax.
  3. Thor wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Upstream Color (Shane Carruth)

If you've got an interest in ambient-minimalist scoring (Cliff Martinez's Solaris or Contagion, for example), get this. One of those scores by a director that really is the breath and heartbeat of the film.

Intriguing!

That post was for you. You should sample this one on iTunes. I think it's very much your sort of thing.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2013
    Defiance Television Soundtrack- Bear McCreary

Uh... huh. I figured that I probably wouldn't like this anymore than I liked the game soundtrack but I actually like it less. It's a mix of various songs not to my taste and some relatively nondescript score cues. As far as recent McCreary releases go, it won't displace Da Vinci's Demons from my music player.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Two Weeks Notice - John Powell

Been so long since I've heard this that I had no recollection of what it even sounded like. It's actually fantastic! Great little themes, especially in 'Helicopter Ride', 'Protest' and 'Absolutely Beautiful' which are probably my 3 standout cues. As good as he is at animation it's a shame Powell hasn't had a chance to score something like this in donkeys years.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    The Way - Tyler Bates

Atypical of his work and easily the best of his career. Wonderful score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: "Mhysa" from Games of Thrones: S3 by Ramin Djawadi

Woah. Far and away the best music to come out of the show so far. After a whole CD of generic grimdark synth interspersed with a few averagely good cues, it's pretty jarring to hear something that good!
  4. NP: The Lord of the Rings - The Fellowship of the Ring - Howard Shore

I haven't listened to this one for quite some time. I wanted to satisfy me that I am still a bi, big fan of this scores.
    I can understand, that some have grown weary of this music. Maybe a case of over exposure.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorchristopher
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2013 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    christopher wrote
    NP - LES AIGUILLES ROUGES - Frederic Talgorn

This is only the third score of Talgorn's I've heard (MOLIERE and THE PRESIDENT) being the other two. He's quite a talent, isn't he?

Yes he is. Wanna hear more?

http://www.cinematicsound.net/foreign-f … c-part-ii/

And you need to find HEAVY METAL 2000. One of the greatest sci-fi film scores of all time!

-Erik-

Thanks, Erik! I've wondered about Heavy Metal 2000. I'll look into it.

NP - TOUCHBACK - William Ross

The last three tracks of this are really good. The rest is mostly quiet and serene (which can be just what I want at times, but I usually prefer music that makes itself known a little more).
  5. NP: Star Wars IV - A New Hope (1977/1997) - John Williams (Arista/Fox)

A groundbreaking score in a series of 6 superb scores for a series of 6 maginificent films.

OK OK, guys, don't bother, I'll find my way out. wink

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    ...through the gauntlet...
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  6. biggrin

NP - "Write Your Soul" - James Horner

Not technically film music, but it's fantastic!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Just finished listening to two Zimmer gems - BACKDRAFT and PACIFIC HEIGHTS. I'm still trying to get the bad taste that is MAN OF STEEL out of my mouth and those two scores are helping me remember that there was a time when Zimmer was inventing new sounds and completely revolutionizing the film music world in creative and interesting ways.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  7. Wasn't it actually Backdraft that put him on the popular radar first? I know that there was a huge demand for Black Rain, but (as badly released as it is) was something that made the more traditionalist fans consider his idea of adding electronics as potentially decent, wasn't it?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  8. Backdraft was what put Zimmer on my radar.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Prince of Egypt - Hans Zimmer

Zimmer's "epic scores" don't get much more epic than this one. So much depth and genuine emotion in this score.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Backdraft was what put Zimmer on my radar.

Alan, stop talking about Zimmer! rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Same here.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Alan, stop talking about Zimmer! rolleyes

Oops. shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Essential Elmer Bernstein Film Music Prague Philharmonic Orchestra

This is awful. It's full of themes and melodies played by an orchestra. What is this rubbish!?
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: The Lord of the Rings - The Fellowship of the Ring - Howard Shore

I haven't listened to this one for quite some time. I wanted to satisfy me that I am still a bi, big fan of this scores.
    I can understand, that some have grown weary of this music. Maybe a case of over exposure.

Volker

Don't count me among the weary ones. I'm a big fan of the scores. The extended ones as well. I have a habit of listening to them back to back. Yeah, I know I'm crazy! wink
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    The Essential Elmer Bernstein Film Music Prague Philharmonic Orchestra

This is awful. It's full of themes and melodies played by an orchestra. What is this rubbish!?

Thank god for the theremin!
    At least ONE electronic sound!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End - Hans Zimmer

This, IMO, is Zimmer last truly GREAT score!

-Erik-
  9. I think I can nod to that one.