• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. plindboe wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    christopher wrote
    HOUSE OF FLYING DAGGERS - Shigeru Umebayshi

I've heard a lot of praise for this score around here. I've given it five complete listens now, and I just can't like this score. I very much like the love theme, but that appears far too infrequently to save the rest of this, most of which I do not enjoy and some of which I genuinely dislike. I have to admit that it's generally harder for me to enjoy Chinese music - it just doesn't do much for me. FLOWERS OF WAR, however, that I listened to a couple days ago, was very enjoyable. Though it was quite a bit more western-sounding. Oh well.

Maybe try Thomas Newman's Red Corner?

Don't think I'd recommend that one. It does have perhaps my all-time favourite Thomas Newman theme and some cool rhythms here and there, but so much of it is just suspense and atmosphere stuff that it's a struggle to get through.

I'd rather recommend Christopher Gordon's Mao's last dancer, which has excellent elements from both chinese (Out of the well) and western music (Pas de deux, Village dance and finale).

Peter smile

Thanks for the link. I do like that theme. The rest of it doesn't sound like it would appeal to me. I remember liking what I heard from MAO'S LAST DANCER a lot when it came out. Thanks for reminding me about that one. Another that I've thought about getting is Conrad Pope's PAVILION OF WOMEN. How does that compare?

I just listened to LES DEUX MONDES by Richard Harvey

While this score is not always something I'm in the mood to listen to, it made great running music this morning. "La Plage et le Totem" was perfect. Some music inspires me to run harder when it comes on and this track did just that this morning. It's a pity it doesn't last a little longer.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2013
    christopher wrote
    Timmer wrote
    christopher wrote
    Hm, never heard of that. I'll see if I can find it. Thanks, Kevin.

NP - THE CRIMSON WING - Cinematic Orchestra

I haven't heard this. Their non score albums that I've heard are superb.

Check this out.

:like:

Lovely! I will get. Cheers Christopher beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: DARK SHADOWS (Danny Elfman)

A lot of talk when it came out, then it quickly dwindled. It has some interesting textures -- a sort of hybrid between Kilar, SLEEPY HOLLOW and something else I can't put my finger on.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Timmer wrote
    christopher wrote
    Timmer wrote
    christopher wrote

Check this out.

smile Those are the best tracks on the album, but the rest is good, too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Scribe wrote
    NP: Remember Me - Olivier Deriviere

Mmm, meh.... And the "memory" chanting is just cheesy and distracting.

Still Man of Steel for most entertaining score of the year so far...don't agree with the "McDonald's" comments...it grows on me more every time I listen to it. Most enjoyable Zimmer score since At World's End in my opinion.

I agree with everything you've said.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2013 edited
    Ya'll be crazy.

The Patriot - John Williams

Essentially an action version of Lincoln. Certainly not his best, but it sure gives this year's most "entertaining" score a run for its money. wink
  3. NP: Captain Future - (1980) Christian Bruhn

The German version score.

When I discovered this CD on the shelf back in 1994 it sent me dancing through the shop to the astonishment of everybody present. Such were the pre-online days.
    It's one of the very few CDs of which I have a second original copy in a place away from my collection.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    christopher wrote
    Timmer wrote
    christopher wrote
    Timmer wrote
    christopher wrote

Check this out.

smile Those are the best tracks on the album, but the rest is good, too.

My favourite track is Life of the bird.

Peter love
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE OMEN - Jerry Goldsmith

Very similar to Hans Zimmer's MAN OF STEEL if you like that sort of thing so it's highly recommended.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. biggrin

:xmas-grin:

lol

applause

:notenoughemoticonstopraisethis:
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2013 edited
    Timmer wrote
    NP : THE OMEN - Jerry Goldsmith

Very similar to Hans Zimmer's MAN OF STEEL if you like that sort of thing so it's highly recommended.

LIES!!! ALL LIES!!!! Don't trust this man. He's a thief and a liar and a terrible human being.
  5. And now for something completely different:

NP: Julius Ceasar (1953/ Intrada, 1995) - Miklos Rozsa
    The Sinfonia of London conducted by Bruce Broughton

Friends, Romans, Countrymen, lend Marlon Brando you ears:

http://www.schooltube.com/video/53efe6c2cf1bb89f9e82/

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2013
    NP : SORCERER - Tangerine Zimmer

I've always liked this 1977 film score but so far have yet to see the film ( which I would like to see )

Anyone seen the film? Michael??
  6. DREAMER - John Debney

This is a really nice score. It's got a nice Americana vibe to it, and an inspirational sports film vibe, too. What's not to like? "Last Race" is a fantastic track in the latter vein.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    NP: Man of Steel - HZ

I've placed all the cues in chronological film order to see if this helps me appreciate this score a little more.
    In some ways yes. Some of the album order of cues are plain strange in places. This fixes that problem.
    But I still find many cues underwhelming and somewhat impotent. I know there are some who would disagree.
    I read one review online that sang the praises of Zimmers' score no end and even went on to say about John Williams' original score something like " the main theme and love theme is good but the rest of the score is really not that great". What the?!!
    He also said "Zimmer’s score is overall of a much higher quality than John Williams Superman score".
    Um, okay. Strong statement there!
    Just shows how diverse peoples tastes are!
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2013 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Captain Future - (1980) Christian Bruhn

The German version score.

When I discovered this CD on the shelf back in 1994 it sent me dancing through the shop to the astonishment of everybody present. Such were the pre-online days.
    It's one of the very few CDs of which I have a second original copy in a place away from my collection.

Volker

This. punk

Regarding Man of Steel, saying it´s much better than Williams´ score is, of course, utter crap. There are moments in that score that still bring me to tears thirty-five years later, and they are nowhere around the main themes. But we´re talking about two completely different movies which deserve totally different approaches scorewise.

I am enjoying MoS a lot more since I saw the movie. I´m especially hooked on all the Krypton stuff, which supports the alien mood of the setting and design perfectly. If someone has a link to the correct chronological order of the tracks, please be so kind to post it.
  7. Atham wrote

I've placed all the cues in chronological film order to see if this helps me appreciate this score a little more.
    In some ways yes. Some of the album order of cues are plain strange in places. This fixes that problem.
    But I still find many cues underwhelming and somewhat impotent. I know there are some who would disagree.
    I read one review online that sang the praises of Zimmers' score no end and even went on to say about John Williams' original score something like " the main theme and love theme is good but the rest of the score is really not that great". What the?!!
    He also said "Zimmer’s score is overall of a much higher quality than John Williams Superman score".

Urgh, that reeks of Soundtrackgeek. vomit
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Here's the list I used. It may be slightly incorrect. I'm not sure yet. I'm still to see the film.

Look To The Stars
    This Is Madness!
    DNA
    Goodbye My Son
    Ignition
    Launch
    I Will Find Him
    Krypton's Last
    Oil Rig
    Are You Listening, Clark?
    Sent Here For A Reason
    I Have So Many Questions
    Flight
    Tornado
    General Zod
    You Led Us Here
    Arcade
    Terraforming
    You Die Or I Do
    If You Love These People
    What Are You Going To Do When You Are Not Saving The World?
    This Is Clark Kent

And it all fits nicely into a 79.5 minute single CD.
  8. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Atham wrote

Urgh, that reeks of Soundtrackgeek. vomit

Well, this guy surely loves the MoS score. Yet he doesn't say anything negative about Williams.

http://www.soundtrackgeek.com/v2/soundt … -of-steel/

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    NP : SORCERER - Tangerine Zimmer

I've always liked this 1977 film score but so far have yet to see the film ( which I would like to see )

Anyone seen the film? Michael??

I love that film, especially the mood (although it's been many years since I saw it). William Friedkin at his best. Slightly inspired by the gritty jungle look of Werner Herzog's AGUIRRE, I think. Love the score too.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. Captain Future wrote
    Well, this guy surely loves the MoS score. Yet he doesn't say anything negative about Williams.

He says that other than the main theme, "the rest of the score is really not that great". And then "Zimmer's Man of Steel score is overall of a much higher quality than John Williams' Superman score". confused
  10. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Captain Future wrote

He says that other than the main theme, "the rest of the score is really not that great". And then "Zimmer's Man of Steel score is overall of a much higher quality than John Williams' Superman score". confused

I should have taken a closer look. shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: LET THE RIGHT ONE IN (Johan Söderqvist)

Inspired by Tom's recent mention. Now THIS is a "horror" score I can enjoy -- lovely moody atmosphere with very few stingers (or other horror gadgets) to speak of. Then again it's more of a relationship movie than a horror. "Eli's Theme" is so gorgeous, I can melt.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    After Earth James Newton Howard

This, Remember Me and Epic are my top three of the year so far. cool (A 30 minute play list from the album.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Atham wrote

You have a very liberal definition of the word 'nicely'. wink
  11. All 3CD's of "Mutiny on the Bounty" (Kaper)

Nothing particularly wrong with the score, I just never connected with all the music, so I'm making back-up copies and trading it off.

It's OOP at FSM, and fetching around $50.00 now on eBay versus the original price which was something like $24.99.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  12. Atham wrote
    Here's the list I used. It may be slightly incorrect. I'm not sure yet. I'm still to see the film.

Look To The Stars
    This Is Madness!
    DNA
    Goodbye My Son
    Ignition
    Launch
    I Will Find Him
    Krypton's Last
    Oil Rig
    Are You Listening, Clark?
    Sent Here For A Reason
    I Have So Many Questions
    Flight
    Tornado
    General Zod
    You Led Us Here
    Arcade
    Terraforming
    You Die Or I Do
    If You Love These People
    What Are You Going To Do When You Are Not Saving The World?
    This Is Clark Kent

The end is wrong, it definitely ends with "What Are You Going To Do When You Are Not Saving The World?
    " which is part end credits. Where "this is Clark Kent" is I don't know, consider the first part is exactly the same as "What are ..."

anyway, I've written my review, gonna post it soon
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: A CIVIL ACTION (Danny Elfman)

Very 90's, post-MISISON: IMPOSSIBLE Elfman, with lots of contrapuntal writing. But done in a smooth, Thomas Newman-like fashion. The "Letters" track still reminds me of the main theme from Horner's APOLLO 13, for some reason.
    I am extremely serious.
  13. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Captain Future wrote

Utter bullshit.

There is one thing that I really love about Williams' music. With all the legendary aspects of it, I don't think many people notice... OK, this score is classic Williams from the late 1970s which stemmed to the classics like Empire Strikes Back and the whole Indiana Jones trilogy (I don't want to speak much about ET or the earlier Close Encounters of the Third Kind, because they are a wholly different beast and while genius, they're not exactly this kind of adventure sound). But there is something that is I think seldom talked about in regards to the Superman score and it very much agrees with what Williams said once about the project and also the movie is handled by Donner...

The classic Superman theme has an ironic character. It has (partly because of the writing, partly because of its later popularity) an appropriately iconic air, it doesn't take itself overly seriously. Which I think is quite appropriate for a character that can fly, give some decent advice ("Miss, I hope this little accident won't put you off flying! Statistically speaking, it's still the safest form of travel!"), burn stuff with his eyes and while at that check if a smoking woman got lung cancer already.

I think the fact that Williams could write an ironic theme that can be perceived as earnest, is an amazing showcase of his intelligence and musical skill. And talent.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I'm kind of curious to understand how you find irony in the Superman theme.
    How would that manifest itself?

(To my mind the theme is a straightforward, thoroughly heroic statement that echoes the character's undiluted morality).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn