• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2013 edited
    Scribe wrote
    Why does Man of Steel sound so bad on speakers and so good on headphones? slant

It's the other way round for me!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2013
    For me, it just sounds bad. tongue

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Erik Woods wrote
    For me, it just sounds bad. tongue
    -Erik-

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8cv2zpjKl1qegw8v.jpg
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    NP: NOW YOU SEE ME - Brian Tyler

Really enjoying this. It's like a more organic David Holmes (also, with more catchy melodies!).
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    By the way, Scribe, have you been listening to MAN OF STEEL in Headphone X?
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    BobdH wrote
    By the way, Scribe, have you been listening to MAN OF STEEL in Headphone X?

No, just listening to the original album on the PC with my various headphones and headphone amps. I don't really understand that Headphone X stuff, what would be the purpose of "simulating" 11 channels of sound through a 2 channel device?
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Scribe wrote
    Why does Man of Steel sound so bad on speakers and so good on headphones? slant

Your speakers are terrible and junk? What type of headphone are you using?
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    My speakers are not terrible, granted they're not as good as my headphones but I don't normally notice such a dramatic difference. I have a Sennheiser HD-650 and a Denon AH-D5000, both connected to $400-ish amps.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2013
    BobdH wrote
    Miya wrote
    NP: Treasure Planet - JNH

Anyone who loves this score... more than Atlantis? And I love the movie too. It's one of the best from Disney, I can say.

Of... Disney's later years? Of the post-Hunchback era...?
    Surely you can't mean of Disney's WHOLE legacy, with films like Bambi, Snow White and Pinocchio in its canon? Right?

It depends on the definition of "one of the best"... if it means "one of the movies that most people in the world agree on its artistic quality", then TP isn't . If it means "one of the movies that impressed me most emotionally", then TP is surely one of the best.
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I think it has a fantastic score, Miya. Some good cues missing from the album that can be found on the complete promo/bootleg.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Scribe wrote
    My speakers are not terrible, granted they're not as good as my headphones but I don't normally notice such a dramatic difference. I have a Sennheiser HD-650 and a Denon AH-D5000, both connected to $400-ish amps.

Damn. That's a good set up you've got there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Maybe Hans spends so much time working on his music on high end equipment that he doesn't realize how crappy it will sound on normal equipment. When I watched the film at my local cinema (which I usually avoid and drive 35 minutes to a better one) the score sounded absolutely awful and rubbish.
  1. I am listening again to my latest purchases:

Les Miserables - Basil Poledouris
    The Borgias - Trevor Morris
    Bejond Rangoon - Hans Zimmer
    Man of Steel, selelcted cues - Hans Zimmer

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2013
    Scribe wrote
    Maybe Hans spends so much time working on his music on high end equipment that he doesn't realize how crappy it will sound on normal equipment. When I watched the film at my local cinema (which I usually avoid and drive 35 minutes to a better one) the score sounded absolutely awful and rubbish.

You might have a point. The moment I saw and listened to the previews, I knew there might be a problem wit the audio; It's all center channel and zero surround.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    That's certainly a big point in favor of traditional film scoring...Williams' Superman theme sounds awesome regardless of the quality of the sound system!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Scribe wrote
    That's certainly a big point in favor of traditional film scoring...Williams' Superman theme sounds awesome regardless of the quality of the sound system!

You can't account for theaters with inadequate sound systems, that's for sure. Perhaps I should have try to go during the first weekend.

Orchestral scores....with a crappy audio system, you lose that top end clarity and it's kinda meh.

Don't tell anyone, but I don't really care for the original Superman Theme. Timeless, sure, maybe, but it sure would have sound out of place with the Zack Snyder film :coughEricWoodscough:
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    lp wrote
    Don't tell anyone, but I don't really care for the original Superman Theme. Timeless, sure, maybe, but it sure would have sound out of place with the Zack Snyder film

Of course it would have been out of place!

It's actually good!

wink
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Come to think of it, the ET theme would have sounded out of place in War of the Worlds! What a rubbish theme that is.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Captain Future wrote
    I am listening again to my latest purchases:

Les Miserables - Basil Poledouris
    Bejond Rangoon - Hans Zimmer

You're a lucky man. Two of my all-time favourite scores.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    lp wrote
    Orchestral scores....with a crappy audio system, you lose that top end clarity and it's kinda meh.

But with a good traditional melodic theme, you still get the emotional impact even if the sound quality is disappointing. Whereas with modern Zimmer-style scoring that relies on the subtleties of layered harmony to produce emotion, without the good sound quality you lose almost everything and it just sounds like noise.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Steven wrote
    Come to think of it, the ET theme would have sounded out of place in War of the Worlds! What a rubbish theme that is.

Ummm, FYI, I wasn't saying that JW theme is rubbish. You're welcome to think so. Just don't attribute that thinking to someone else, thank you. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Scribe wrote
    lp wrote

But with a good traditional melodic theme, you still get the emotional impact even if the sound quality is disappointing. Whereas with modern Zimmer-style scoring that relies on the subtleties of layered harmony to produce emotion, without the good sound quality you lose almost everything and it just sounds like noise.

This sounds like two different thing. If we're still referencing Superman related stuff, Zimmer's came up with a bunch of theme for the movie and, while they're not "traditional" like John Williams' version, I must state that the emotional push wasn't ineffective.
  2. NP: The Eagle of the Ninth (2011) - Atli Örvasson

Rosemary Sutcliff's novel was one that I would read over and over again 30 years ago. Even today I can quote whole passages by heart. The film - almost inevitably - was a major letdown for me. Just too many crucial alterations had been made to the plot. There has once been a mini series, too, but I know nothing about it.

The score, though, is quite plesant, if not earth shattering. A serious effort that I like to listen to.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Scribe wrote
    lp wrote

Interesting point, Matt.
    Many studies have been done to the effect of sound on emotion.
    And while music (in the sense of melodious and harmonic thematic work) is an "easy" tool to affect emotion (which will even work on a very poor sound system, as it's not the quality of the sound that is key there), sound design will indeed suffer as a consequence of poor equipment.

It would be an interesting experiment experiencing a film like this (or indeed any of the Batmans , or any "soundscaped" film these days) in an environment with alternately poor and high-end audio quality. I wonder if there'd be any noticeable effect on emotional experience.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    lp wrote
    Don't tell anyone, but I don't really care for the original Superman Theme. Timeless, sure, maybe, but it sure would have sound out of place with the Zack Snyder film :coughEricWoodscough:

The only time it would have have worked was Superman's unveiling and first flight. That scene was such a let down (I blame Snyder for that) that Williams could have made something special out of it. Also, the final scene would have been great with Superman's theme in full... but Zimmer did a really good job with his own music there.

The rest of the movie was such a humourless downer that a positive, patriotic, heroic, fun traditional theme wouldn't have really fit anywhere. But a dark, War of the World's like, fully symphonic score would have worked in the film but what would have been the point. You could barely hear the Zimmer's score as it battled with the over blown sound effects.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. It literally battled, Hans tried to crank up the volume to fight it off, but...

The problem is that it seemed his only concern regarding the action music. Outside of using the Krypton motif as the backdrop of If You Love These People (which makes a lot of sense narratively if you take into account what are the fighting about, really) and seemingly, the percussive rhythm of the theme in Oil Rig, there doesn't even seem to be much of a narrative thought brought into the action music except trying to crank up the volume to desperately fit in.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Funk On Film - various artists, originals as well as interpretations.
    Serious highlight: Jimmy "The Cat" Smith doing Mission Impossible.
    shocked
    Daaaaaaaamn!
    lick
  4. Did John Williams battle with Ben Burtt, too, or did they get along?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Captain Future wrote
    Did John Williams battle with Ben Burtt, too, or did they get along?

Ken Wannberg battled with Burtt (and/or the sound mixing team) on the prequels quite a bit. There's video evidence of this on the ROTS behind the scenes documentary.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2013 edited
    Burtt mixed metal wires with vocoders and donkeys with bears.
    Williams mixed nine double-basses with fourteen pieces of brass.

I don't think their work overlapped.