• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Erik Woods wrote
    There is no way this should get anything lower than 3 stars. The "Finale" alone is worth a 3 star rating. Verbinski seems to bring the best out of his composers. MOUSE HUNT is easily one of Silvestri's best score and AT WORLD'S END was arguably Zimmer last great score.

Verbinski's THE LONE RANGER is letting us see a side of Zimmer that we haven't seen or heard of in a long, long time. But then again, there's a debate as to how much of this is Zimmer or his team. Honestly, I don't give a f__k. If it takes 10 composers to write a good film score that's all I care about and THE LONE RANGER is good and the most fun I've had with a Zimmer score since AT WORLD'S END.

-Erik-

The team on this one seems to have been 3 additionals, including a long unheard-of Rupert Gregson-Williams (one would think that his brother would try to help him get out from being an Adam Sandler-exclusive of all things biggrin ). Except that Geoff Zanelli (a regular for Hans' scores for Verbinski, except The Ring) and Lorne Balfe
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorLars
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2013
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    There is no way this should get anything lower than 3 stars. The "Finale" alone is worth a 3 star rating. Verbinski seems to bring the best out of his composers. MOUSE HUNT is easily one of Silvestri's best score and AT WORLD'S END was arguably Zimmer last great score.

Verbinski's THE LONE RANGER is letting us see a side of Zimmer that we haven't seen or heard of in a long, long time. But then again, there's a debate as to how much of this is Zimmer or his team. Honestly, I don't give a f__k. If it takes 10 composers to write a good film score that's all I care about and THE LONE RANGER is good and the most fun I've had with a Zimmer score since AT WORLD'S END.

-Erik-

The team on this one seems to have been 3 additionals, including a long unheard-of Rupert Gregson-Williams (one would think that his brother would try to help him get out from being an Adam Sandler-exclusive of all things biggrin ). Except that Geoff Zanelli (a regular for Hans' scores for Verbinski, except The Ring) and Lorne Balfe

Andrew Kawczynski and Steve Mazzaro were also additional composers on The Lone Ranger. and there is at least one track from Jack White (Red's Theater Of The Absurd) in this movie.
  2. Timmer wrote
    NP : MIDNIGHT EXPRESS - Giorgio Moroder

A well deserved Oscar winning score.

devil

yeah
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2013 edited
    ....headphones time. spin

NP : KRULL - JAMES HORNER

punk
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. PLAY. IT. LOUD.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    PLAY. IT. LOUD.

SORRY, WHAT WAS THAT? I CAN'T HEAR YOU!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. Big. Bold. And italics! Where can I go to top that!?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FSM? wink
  5. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Big. Bold. And italics! Where can I go to top that!?

You're only recourse now is to spell words out with smilies.

spin spin spin spin spin
    spin
    spin
    spin spin spin spin spin
    spin
    spin
    spin
    spin
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2013 edited
    NP : "STAND BY FOR ACTION" THE MUSIC OF Barry Gray

A selection of original tracks from all the Gerry Anderson TV series.

A lot of film composers working today haven't got a tenth of the talent Barry Gray was putting into TV shows.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2013
    Very true Tim!
    Barry Gray wrote some of the best music in television history!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Atham wrote
    Very true Tim!
    Barry Gray wrote some of the best music in television history!

So true and my god but the man was a theme-smith extraordinaire.
  6. NP: The Golden Voyage of Sindbad - Miklos Rozsa, 1974 album version (Prometheus)

Vintage Rozsa!

Volker
  7. NP: Outland - Jerry Goldsmith, 1981 (FSM)

Great ambient sifi score!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Outland - Jerry Goldsmith, 1981 (FSM)

Great ambient sifi score!

Quite underrated by many, I think it's a superb score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2013
    I love Outland!
    It gets played almost as much as Alien. cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : JUDGE DREDD - Alan Silvestri

Far too good for the film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    The film is a guilty pleasure and the score fit it like a glove!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  8. Timmer wrote

just imagine what it would have been had this been put in Dredd, would have made the boring film so much better

NP: Ararat (Mychael Danna)

Expected ... well not this. Some powerful action music and even choral music here. Pleasantly surprised. Bregt will be proud I finally listened to this smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  9. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    NP: Ararat (Mychael Danna)

Expected ... well not this. Some powerful action music and even choral music here. Pleasantly surprised. Bregt will be proud I finally listened to this smile

What do you expect when Nicholas Dodd is the orchestrator? punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2013 edited
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Timmer wrote

just imagine what it would have been had this been put in Dredd, would have made the boring film so much better.

shocked

I thought Dredd was an excellent film. I didn't like the score but Silvestri's overly heroic music wouldn't have fit the modern retelling. More of the militaristic cues would have but not the big, superhero theme.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  10. Erik Woods wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Timmer wrote

just imagine what it would have been had this been put in Dredd, would have made the boring film so much better.

shocked

I thought Dredd was an excellent film. I didn't like the score but Silvestri's overly heroic music wouldn't have fit the modern retelling. More of the militaristic cues would have but not the big, superhero theme.

-Erik-

Agreed in all points.
  11. Captain Future wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Timmer wrote

shocked

-Erik-

Agreed in all points.

I found Dredd incredibly dull, and lacking any sort of emotion. Visual style superb, but so lifeless, the music of course aided in that aspect. I was just watching it on autopilot. I had the similar feeling with Man of steel, zombie mode from the middle to the end.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  12. NP: Miami Vice: The Complete Collection - Jan Hammer

This album is now available for download on the composer's site. This is only the second time I downloaded a complete album. This album has had "grail" status for a long time in my books. It has been out of print for some time now and it is being offered for lunatic prices on the secondary marked.

Especially after this digital release I don't expect another physical release, so I opted for the download.
    One of the best tv soundtracks of the 80s. Iconic!

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2013
    It's a brilliant 2CD set! It got me through my dissertation back in 2004. smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2013
    NP: FILM MUSIC (Nino Rota)

Classic compilation from EMI with some aweinspiring stuff that plays out more like concert pieces! WAR & PEACE, IL GATTOPARDO, LA STRADA and WATERLOO.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    I am listening to The Lone Ranger and enjoying it a lot. cheesy

I realised this is the third awesome finale / end credits I hear within a couple of months. First I discover Giacchino's Star Trek, then Brian Tyler with Iron Man 3. And now this! It puts a smile on my face, for the whole 10 minutes.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregje wrote
    I am listening to The Lone Ranger and enjoying it a lot. cheesy

I realised this is the third awesome finale / end credits I hear within a couple of months. First I discover Giacchino's Star Trek, then Brian Tyler with Iron Man 3. And now this! It puts a smile on my face, for the whole 10 minutes.

The usual suspects on FB are surprisingly restrained about this score, perhaps it's because they've exhausted themselves lavishing all that hysterical praise on MAN OF STEEL? wink

A shame because THE LONE RANGER is actually good.
  13. I actually promoted Lone Ranger a bit and I think of posting the Finale youtube link on my Facebook, because it's that good.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  14. NP: Arizona Dream - (2003) Goran Bregovic, Iggy Pop

I always loved this film and it's quirky score. Some great choire work here.

Volker