• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2013
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    It's probably also the only use of the hurdy-gurdy in an action cue I've ever heard...but I like it. dizzy

I think Elfman (who else?) employs quite a bit of hurdy-gurdy in Batman Returns' action cues!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Star Trek: Insurrection - Jerry Goldsmith

GNP Crescendo Records recently announced that they are releasing an expanded edition of this score. I have never been a big fan of this score however I do like the new themes especially the "New Sight" theme, which is easily one of Goldsmith's greatest compositions.

Anyway, I dusted this one off today and I must say it's really enjoyable... Capricorn One and US Marshalls rips and all. And the more concert hall sounding recording doesn't bother me as much as it use to.

I'm kinda looking forward to the expanded release, which is something I would have never said yesterday.

-Erik-

Having had the bootleg for ages, I must say that I really love the score, GNP sadly doesn't send review copies...
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    plindboe wrote
    Anyway, I find these days that I have to be in a Delerue mood to listen to his music, whereas with Powell I can always put him on. Powell's music is more choppy, which can be a bit frustrating, but his themes seem to affect me more emotionally than Delerue's and with a greater variety of emotions. Delerue makes me swoon, Powell makes me rock back and forth, whistle along, makes me emotional, laugh, headbang and makes me happy to be alive.

Peter smile

yeahyeahyeahyeahyeahyeahyeahyeahyeah
    punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk
    beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer
    bouncebouncebounce

What he said.

Hehe, with TSFH and now Powell I'm starting to wonder whether we're musical twins.

You should check out Morricone sometime. wink

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Timmer wrote
    plindboe wrote
    I agree with your praise of Delerue, Christopher. He wouldn't be my third favourite composer if I didn't worship him. He was an extraordinary composer of gorgeous melodies, and I like that each track he made is self-contained, as if he was always trying to compose music that would work well as an independent listening experience. I find his albums are great listens throughout, though they can be repetitive as they don't tend to contain much else than various orchestral variations of his main themes. If I have to mention another criticism, it's that his music can be rather samey. Kinda like Portman, who has an excellent, melodic style, but who seems to compose the same score for 95% of her movies. Delerue wasn't quite at Portman's extreme though; he had a recurrent medieval sounding style for instance, plus a bunch of very french sounding scores in his early days and various other interesting departures.

Anyway, I find these days that I have to be in a Delerue mood to listen to his music, whereas with Powell I can always put him on. Powell's music is more choppy, which can be a bit frustrating, but his themes seem to affect me more emotionally than Delerue's and with a greater variety of emotions. Delerue makes me swoon, Powell makes me rock back and forth, whistle along, makes me emotional, laugh, headbang and makes me happy to be alive.

Peter smile

STOP MAKING SUCH WELL THOUGHT OUT POINTS AND POSTS! slant

cheesy wink

Sorry. shame

Next time I'll just call you all poopy heads. Much more succinct and probably more effective as well. wink

Peter cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yo'mama! angry
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: Soundtracks for films by Yoji Yamada - Isao Tomita (2008)
    A trilogy of soundtracks on one CD, by famed synthesizer pioneer Isao Tomia (I had no idea he done soundtracks as well, but I guess it makes sense as his work generally suggests strong visuals).
    The CD contains tracks from Tasogare Seibei (Twilight Samurai), Kakushi Ken Oni No Tsume (The Hidden Blade), and Bushi No Ichibun (Love and Honor), The Hidden Blade clocking in as the longest at 11 tracks and about 30 minutes.

The scores are as different as they are similar. The (obviously) strong Japanese sound is evident in all three and a certain restrained, at times John Barry-esque vibe is present throughout.
    The Hidden Blade is a wonderful, melodic and strong score. It's a bit gloomy, but not oppressively so. It's easily the most "conventionally" occidental-sounding of the lot.

Twilight Samurai offers some VERY obvious winks to Morricone, and has a great theme.
    The other few tracks are fine as well, but the synthesizer sound -while VERY recognisably Tomita in its glassy, fragile type- is just too dated for me. It's still a good score though!

But the theme to Love And Honor really makes the CD to me. It's exquisite! (Sadly the three tracks that are book-ended by the title tracks are less interesting and mainly action-oriented).

Overall a wonderful CD, and a breath of fresh air in the current rather homogenised environment.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I didn't know he'd scored films either and I'll tell you what, from those clips you posted I'm really impressed cool

I wonder what his score to ALIEN would have sounded like?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Synthesizery, at a guess. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thou dost most likelyeth speak yonder truth as Clint Eastwood would say.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Now ripping:

I am just about to rip The Lost World - Jurassic Park to my media library, which I hadn't done so far. After fetching that CD out of the rack I was astonished to discover that the package is really a pop-up-book. That indicates how long I did not have that CD in my hands. The score will be a rediscovery. Exiting!

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Packaging is shit but the score is magnificent!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Oh god the packaging for that gets crushed to death between other CD's. Every time I take it out I fear it may be the last time.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Packaging is shit but the score is magnificent!

-Erik-

Yeah, gimmicky rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2013 edited
    NP: Pacific Rim - Ramin Djawadi

Making for some okay background listening but nothing had really captured my attention as of yet.

EDIT - Really liking the low brass motif heard in "2500 Tons of Awesome", which is a nice throw back to classic monster films.

DOUBLE EDIT - "The Shatterdome" is excellent. Very Poledourisesque.

TRIPLE EDIT - "We Are the Resistance" and "Double Event." punk

QUADRUPLE EDIT - Next to Game of Thrones this is probably Djawadi's best score!

There are some really good cues here but the album is overly long. It's 57 minute album split into 25 tracks. I don't want to spend my time going through this one again to find the tracks I really like and those that I don't. I don't like this score THAT much to do so. This would make for a great old school Varese 35 minute highlights album!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Pacific Rim - Ramin Djawadi

Making for some okay background listening but nothing had really captured my attention as of yet.

EDIT - Really liking the low brass motif heard in "2500 Tons of Awesome", which is a nice throw back to classic monster films.

DOUBLE EDIT - "The Shatterdome" is excellent. Very Poledourisesque.

TRIPLE EDIT - "We Are the Resistance" and "Double Event." punk

QUADRUPLE EDIT - Next to Game of Thrones this is probably Djawadi's best score!

There are some really good cues here but the album is overly long. It's 57 minute album split into 25 tracks. I don't want to spend my time going through this one again to find the tracks I really like and those that I don't. I don't like this score THAT much to do so. This would make for a great old school Varese 35 minute highlights album!

-Erik-

The whole album flows pretty painless for me. FWIW. The main theme and all of the various jaeger's themes are varied enough to provide and maintain the interest level for me. It's Ramin's best score to date.

And speaking of best score,

NP: Power Of One - Hans Zimmer

One of Zimmer's best (ethnic) score album. It's a sparse score for the movie, but effective nonetheless.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    lp wrote
    The whole album flows pretty painless for me. FWIW. The main theme and all of the various jaeger's themes are varied enough to provide and maintain the interest level for me. It's Ramin's best score to date.

It meanders far too much for my liking but like I said there's lots to like. A little trim here and there will make for an excellent 30-35 minute listen. I love the themes, love the tone, love the energy. I agree, it's easily Djawadi's best effort to date!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Erik Woods wrote
    lp wrote

It meanders far too much for my liking but like I said there's lots to like. A little trim here and there will make for an excellent 30-35 minute listen. I love the themes, love the tone, love the energy. I agree, it's easily Djawadi's best effort to date!

-Erik-

Have you thought about making a suite or something? I wouldn't mind hearing your take on it....
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Yeah... that's a good idea. I could probably make a nice 7-8 minutes suite out of it. I'll give it a shot.

:inspired:

beer

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Has anyone seen the film? It looks like a lot of fun.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Seen nothing but praise for it! Mindless entertainment. Super special effects. Movie with a heart. A perfect summer blockbiuster.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Seen nothing but praise for it! Mindless entertainment. Super special effects. Movie with a heart. A perfect summer blockbiuster.

-Erik-

Exactly why I intend to see it. GIANT ROBOTS v GIANT MONSTERS = WIN!
  3. Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Exactly why I intend to see it. GIANT ROBOTS v GIANT MONSTERS = WIN!

Or normal sized robots vs normal sized monsters in a world of very small people?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    lp wrote
    Have you thought about making a suite or something? I wouldn't mind hearing your take on it....

Done! Uploading it for you guys now.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    PACIFIC RIM: SUITE

I'll leave this up for the weekend. I need to tweak the ending but I think this turned out rather good for about 10 minutes work. tongue

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2013
    I can't get enough of Man of Steel...I think it's been years since I so thoroughly enjoyed a whole score and not just a few tracks here and there.

Don't judge me sad
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  4. Scribe wrote
    I can't get enough of Man of Steel...I think it's been years since I so thoroughly enjoyed a whole score and not just a few tracks here and there.

Don't judge me sad

It's great that this one has struck a chord with you in such a profound manner.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Scribe wrote
    Don't judge me sad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejizOV-IQEM&sns=em
  5. applause

I don't get the hate either, but I don't *love* it.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Scribe wrote

Don't judge me sad

No hate from me. I ended up liking it alot, but not loving it as much as I wanted to. I love the various themes and the drums have even gotten better with each successive listen.
  6. It's a 2-3 star score in my books. Also I am happy for everyone who finds a score that resonates with him.

Concerning Pacific Rim I am more with Christian Clemmensen here than with Erik. Only just ****.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.