• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2013 edited
    This is one of the most confusing discussions I've ever seen on the internet.

All I can derive is that Mr. Phan really hates the Godzilla film.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2013
    This has been a good week, because a lot of music was on a hard drive I coud not connect to for a long time and now everything is in tha cloud...

So I found some gems back in iTunes I had almost forgotten about (allthough the actual discs are somewhere upstairs so I could find them if I wanted to and if I had remembered I had them!). Such as Mystery of the Nile, all the gypsy stuff, Pan Tadeuzs, L'Enfant des Loups, Mists of Avalon, Stargate Atlantis, well... basically everything I got until two years ago or something!

It's like digging up a treasure smile

This week I've been listening to The Lone Ranger. Also, I noticed Man of Steel is growing on me. I thought it was underwhelming and I hadn't even listened to all tracks. That never happens to me, I always listen to new stuff from start to finish, now I was zapping through the tracks and finally just picked the What Are You Going To Do if I wanted to listen some. But then last weekend we took a USB drive into the car with some new music and I heard Man of Steel in the car and I was very surprised by a couple of tracks. Now I like it more than at first.

Kind of sad that the sound system in the car is the best we have. Only my headphones are up to that but at home we don't have anything as good as that. Speaking of car sound system. Tron is one of the best scores for driving.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregje wrote
    This has been a good week, because a lot of music was on a hard drive I coud not connect to for a long time and now everything is in tha cloud...

I never warmed to the idea (yet).
    I want my stuff *with* me. I guess I've been to too many places where mobile internet is either non-existent or insanely expensive that my love for local hard drives has never waned.

Such as Mystery of the Nile, all the gypsy stuff, Pan Tadeuzs, L'Enfant des Loups, Mists of Avalon, Stargate Atlantis, well... basically everything I got until two years ago or something!

It's like digging up a treasure smile

shocked My God. Serious blasts from the past!
    I think we discussed those to death on Scorereviews (or at least had them in the "Now Playing"-threads all the time smile ).

...I wonder how Andy is these days?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    RP: Arthur of The Britons - Paul Lewis & Elmer Bernstein (theme)

I've had this one for a while and had a quick scan through it then and was disappointed by how little I was enthused by what I heard. I've listened to it off-and-on since and my thoughts haven't changed on it.

Yes, the 30-second theme from Elmer Bernstein is excellent, but as far as Lewis' score is concerned, there's not much more I'd want to listen to that isn't already on the Lewis compilation album.

You already have the Silva release??
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Scribe wrote

Can't say I personally disagree with him. GODZILLA was a very poor film IMO ( note I said 'poor', hate is a strong word used all too carelessly ) but I do agree that David Arnold's score is good.

I'm looking forward to seeing Pacific Rim.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Been on a Superman kick the past couple of weeks since seeing Man Of Steel.
    For me, Man of Steel is a score I enjoy only in sections. Some cues are okay while others still grate on me a bit. But I certainly dont hate it as some do!

For that reason I've pulled out the previous Superman scores which, on the most part, I adore!

Superman: The Movie - J Williams: Pure score magic! A classic that is incomparable in Superman music lore!

Superman 2 - K Thorne, (J Williams material) Very enjoyable despite the smaller orchestra.

Superman 3 - K Thorne, (J Williams material) Not too bad but a tad too light much like the film.

Superman 4 - A Courage, J Williams Some fine moments throughout this one!

Superman Returns - J Ottman (J Williams material) I confess I like this one. It's not up there with the original Williams score but I just appreciate having the original themes given one last hurrah before the new Zimmer take.

Thank you John Williams for giving Superman such a wealth of musical material that shall never grow old!
  1. Timmer wrote
    Scribe wrote

Can't say I personally disagree with him. GODZILLA was a very poor film IMO ( note I said 'poor', hate is a strong word used all too carelessly ) but I do agree that David Arnold's score is good.

A actually like Godzilla. It's nothing great, mind you, but a nice popcorn film to pass an eveving with. This might have to do with the fact that I was never interested in the original Godzilla films and I watch the film without that Japanese things floating my mind. No comparisons there. It' just a giant lizard turning up to lay waste to New York for whatever reason.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Atham wrote
    Been on a Superman kick the past couple of weeks since seeing Man Of Steel.
    For me, Man of Steel is a score I enjoy only in sections. Some cues are okay while others still grate on me a bit. But I certainly dont hate it as some do!

Let's just be fortunate to be able to enjoy many styles of music. That's how I feel when some 'haters' start bashing, I feel lucky for liking more different kinds of music which basically means more music pour moi.
    wink

About Man of Steel, I don't know what has happened to me but I slowly start to like it more and more, especially the music for General Zod and the more percussive tracks and testosteron tracks like Oil Rig. This is sexy music.
    lick
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Scribe wrote

A actually like Godzilla. It's nothing great, mind you, but a nice popcorn film to pass an eveving with. This might have to do with the fact that I was never interested in the original Godzilla films and I watch the film without that Japanese things floating my mind. No comparisons there. It' just a giant lizard turning up to lay waste to New York for whatever reason.

I'm pretty much in the same boat. Never had any connection to the old Japanese flicks and enjoyed it as a good Emmerich extravaganza (I dig Emmerich, actually). The score is excellent and shines on CD in its promo presentation program.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Bregje wrote

About Man of Steel, I don't know what has happened to me but I slowly start to like it more and more, especially the music for General Zod and the more percussive tracks and testosteron tracks like Oil Rig. This is sexy music.
    lick

It's the same with me.
  3. Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    RP: Arthur of The Britons - Paul Lewis & Elmer Bernstein (theme)

I've had this one for a while and had a quick scan through it then and was disappointed by how little I was enthused by what I heard. I've listened to it off-and-on since and my thoughts haven't changed on it.

Yes, the 30-second theme from Elmer Bernstein is excellent, but as far as Lewis' score is concerned, there's not much more I'd want to listen to that isn't already on the Lewis compilation album.

You already have the Silva release??

Yes. I have a digital review copy.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Captain Future wrote
    Bregje wrote

lick

It's the same with me.

beer

NP: Pan Tadeusz - Wojciech Kilar
    I totally forgot about this one and found it in the digital treasure. Excellent!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Same here. I don't think I can stand the whole album, but I think a suite is in order... lick
  4. Rain Man (1989) - Hans Zimmer

Score: Preserverence Records
    Songs: MCA

One for the lonely island!

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregje wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Bregje wrote

lick

It's the same with me.

beer

I totally forgot about this one and found it in the digital treasure. Excellent!

It's a great score. I think there was a time when I was one of a small minority that had this score who ranted and raved at anyone who would listen that they should check it out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Steven wrote
    Same here. I don't think I can stand the whole album, but I think a suite is in order... lick

Oil Rig - Terraforming - Arcade - Burst Eardrums. Something like that? punk

NP: Baha Ve Oglum - Reboutsika
  5. Timmer wrote
    Bregje wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Bregje wrote

lick

It's the same with me.

beer

It's a great score. I think there was a time when I was one of a small minority that had this score who ranted and raved at anyone who would listen that they should check it out.

I'm not sure if I said it here already, but you might be interested that this score has made popular culture significance in Poland.

At the end of high school, about 100 days before matura, which is the Polish equivalent of the A-level exams, we have a traditional ball, something similar in concept to the American prom. This ball starts with a traditional dance called the polonaise, danced by the students (you can take a guest to the ball and you theoretically can dance with your date, but usually it stays among classmates and picking a dancing partner is actually quite a big deal; I had two "bouts", I was also dancing with a girl from another class on my ball).

After the movie (an adaptation of the seminal Polish work of literature, an epic poem about the life of our nobility) was released and of course Kilar's score as well, the polonaise from the score replaced the traditional one, an 18th century work (and while at that a huge inspiration for Kilar) that was used before.

So Kilar's film score made a culturally significant piece of standalone music in Polish popular culture.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    That's cool. Thanks! cheesy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I concur cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Excellent! beer
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  6. Superman IV: The Quest for Peace (1987) - John Williams / Alexander Courage
    From the FSM Blue Box

This one relies heavily on original (and new) material by John Williams. This might be heretic but I especially enjoy the cues that are not that remindful of the 1978 original score. All in all a good effort.

This score shows how eratic that whole series of films really was. Imagine it had been made into a trilogy with Williams scoring the whole lot. Oh, man ...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    The new Williams cues are fine, but the treats on that album are the pop songs, IMO.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Captain Future wrote
    Superman IV: The Quest for Peace (1987) - John Williams / Alexander Courage
    From the FSM Blue Box

Easily the second best Superman film score. Great use of previous and new Williams themes along with Courage own material. Sublime!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : WHEN THE WHALES CAME - Christopher Gunning

This score is the complete opposite of utter-crap.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE YOUNG INDIANA JONES CHRONICLES (Joel McNeely & Laurence Rosenthal)

Worked my way through vol. 1 and 2. Now on to 3 (the least satisfying) and soon on to 4. A fantastic and unprecedented TV series set. I wish more scores were released from this show, but we certainly can't complain with what we've got.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Bregje wrote
    That's cool. Thanks! cheesy

Indeed! It's a very catchy piece of music. Great scores that you are re-exploring. Even some Reboutsika. You remember the time in Ghent? wink
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Conquest 1453 - Benjamin Wallfisch

After thoroughly enjoying Wallfisch's PETER PAN score last week I've decided to go back and listen to the three older scores of his I own (DEAR WENDY, THE ESCAPIST and CONQUEST 1453) before diving into his latest entries (SUMMER IN FEBRUARY and HAMMER OF THE GODS.)

I don't recall ever listening to this album in 2012 but according to iTunes I did... once. shocked

Anyway, I absolutely love this. A wonderful blend of modern film scoring sensibilities and instrumentation mixed with a more classic, traditional Hollywood sound.

Wallfisch is really someone we should all be paying more attention to. Hopefully there are great things lined up for this extremely talent man.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Scribe wrote

YOU GOT THAT RIGHT BUDDY!
  7. I bailed out of that exchange some time ago.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: The Lone Ranger - Hans Zimmer

There are excellent tracks in here, and I enjoy listening to most of the album, minus the Jack White leftover track. Absurdity is awesome, especially when the big (Bruckheimer!) brass theme kicks in. It's such a simple, descending brass line, but works so well whenever you hear it (Absurdity, The Railroad Waits for No One, For God and For Country, Finale). Now, I don't really love the off-kilter, quirky, jaunty sound that Hans usually employ for weird, dysfunctional characters (POTC movies, Matchstick Men, Sherlock Holmes, etc, though I did love its original incarnation in AGAIG), but, as always, it grows on ya.

It's interesting to hear how Hans reinterpret the sound of the locomotive since the corking Peacemaker. Just as good and just as unique. Though I was hoping to hear a more Bernstein-esque sound in there, but all we got was Rossini (but what an excellent track it is).

I'm a bit disappointed that the melody in "Silver" is heavily biased by the Irish folk tune "After The Battle of Aughrim", but it's interesting to hear it being twisted into being a part of this production.
    And I even more disappointed that David Fichtner's character, Butch, didn't get a proper, bad ass, menacing theme, but I'll take the sliding high-pitched string/growling bass line "motif" instead.

In all, lots of variety of tonal colors throughout the album. The melodies are good, the orchestration are all new and old, and I'm always entertained. The album still feels a bit short, but mostly because I want to hear MORE of the orchestral action passages, because the orchestra is just on fire.