• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2013
    lp wrote
    It's interesting to hear how Hans reinterpret the sound of the locomotive since the corking Peacemaker. Just as good and just as unique. Though I was hoping to hear a more Bernstein-esque sound in there, but all we got was Rossini (but what an excellent track it is).

I'm sure you're familiar with the fact that the 'Wilhelm Tell Overture' was used for the old TV series, and that's the reason for its inclusion?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Thor wrote
    lp wrote
    It's interesting to hear how Hans reinterpret the sound of the locomotive since the corking Peacemaker. Just as good and just as unique. Though I was hoping to hear a more Bernstein-esque sound in there, but all we got was Rossini (but what an excellent track it is).

I'm sure you're familiar with the fact that the 'Wilhelm Tell Overture' was used for the old TV series, and that's the reason for its inclusion?

Yes, of course. Rossini composition was always going to be included. But its inclusion, on album, seems stylistically, out of of nowhere. A bit more trumpet/brass work would have aided its presence, IMHO.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    lp wrote

Ze Führer approves of this post.
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Conquest 1453 - Benjamin Wallfisch
    Anyway, I absolutely love this. A wonderful blend of modern film scoring sensibilities and instrumentation mixed with a more classic, traditional Hollywood sound.

shocked Really? I don't think the electronics fit at all. The whole thing sounds like a fantastic epic score trying to burst out of a layer of electronics that feel like shackles imposed by the director or producer somewhere along the line. There's some amazing material in that score ("Pulling the Ships"!) but on the whole I found it a very mixed bag and I'm surprised that you of all people, Erik, would give the synth loops and such a pass.

And it's not the fact that there are electronics that bothers me - it's how they're used.
  2. I am not so keen on how the electronics are used in the score either. They just don't quite seem to "gel" together.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2013 edited
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    shocked Really? I don't think the electronics fit at all. The whole thing sounds like a fantastic epic score trying to burst out of a layer of electronics that feel like shackles imposed by the director or producer somewhere along the line.

While I'm sure the producers and/or director "forced" the electronics onto Wallfisch I'm glad that the orchestral writing was still able to shine through. I thought Wallfisch did a good job to blend it all together nicely into a surprisingly cohesive listen. At least there was an attempt on Wallfisch's part to write something good around the generic cliche that is boring electronics pulsing away aimlessly in a "historically set film."

Edmund Meinerts wrote
    There's some amazing material in that score ("Pulling the Ships"!) but on the whole I found it a very mixed bag and I'm surprised that you of all people, Erik, would give the synth loops and such a pass.

Glad that I can still surprise people now and then.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. MARY SHELLY'S FRANKENSTEIN - Patrick Doyle

It's been a long time since I've played this. The love theme is one of Doyle's best ("The Wedding Night" is rapturously beautiful), but the track that really blew me away was "Creation". I had totally forgotten about that track, but it is fantastic!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2013
    ^ Superb score!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Personally, I can't stand it.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: INCEPTION (Hans Zimmer)

Gorgeous and powerful.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Personally, I can't stand it.

Me neither....at one time. I quite like some of it now.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. I'm with Thor here. One of the best electronic scifi scores since Blade Runner.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    I'm with Thor here. One of the best electronic scifi scores since Blade Runner.

Volker

Good as it is it is not in Blade Runner's class.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2013 edited
    Thor wrote

Gorgeous and powerful.

Personally I can't stand it.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  5. Timmer wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    I'm with Thor here. One of the best electronic scifi scores since Blade Runner.

Volker

Good as it is it is not in Blade Runner's class.

Neither did I indicate that.

NP: The Killing Fields - Mike Oldfield

Just started the first run.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Martijn wrote
    Thor wrote

Gorgeous and powerful.

biggrin
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Thor wrote

Gorgeous and powerful.

I like it a lot.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    Thor wrote

Gorgeous and powerful.

I see what you did there!
    I am extremely serious.
  6. NP: Deep Blue - George Fenton

Nice one! What other scores by Fenton should I take into consideration?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Anything he writes for the BBC. But I'd go for Frozen Planet next. True 5 star material.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: Da Vinci's Demons - Bear McCreary
    IMO his best work since Battlestar Galactica.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2013
    Godzilla David Arnold/Nicholas Dodd

Definitely one of my favourites. Not quite a top 10, but certainly a top 20. Pretty much anything this team came up with in the 90s features very high on my favourites "list" (there is no list really, just a bunch of scores I'd take with me beyond the grave if I could!)

Next up I think is The World Is Not Enough. lick
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Steven wrote
    Godzilla David Arnold/Nicholas Dodd

Definitely one of my favourites. Not quite a top 10, but certainly a top 20. Pretty much anything this team came up with in the 90s features very high on my favourites "list" (there is no list really, just a bunch of scores I'd take with me beyond the grave if I could!)

But is it proper? Or have you duly surrendered that opinion? I MUST KNOWS.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yes! Interesting side not, Pacific Rim is actually a very good remake of Godzilla. It stays very faithful to its source material. But it isn't as good as Emmerich's film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2013 edited
    Steven wrote
    Yes! Interesting side not, Pacific Rim is actually a very good remake of Godzilla. It stays very faithful to its source material. But it isn't as good as Emmerich's film.

Well it couldn't be as good, if it doesn't make you feel sad for the giant monster(s) at the end...
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: Despicable Me 2 - Heitor Peirera

Not particularly interesting. Heitor is not the most creative RC graduate so far.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote

uhm
    Wait. What?
    uhm
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2013 edited
    I fear my bait is too strong...
  7. GODS AND GENERALS - John Frizzell

This is soooo good! There's just a lot to enjoy on the album and a few really powerful pieces ("To the Stone Wall" is epic!).
  8. TITUS - Elliot Goldenthal

I really don't like this score. The jumping from one style to another just really grates. I'm sure it was perfect for the crazy film, but as a listening experience for someone who hasn't seen the film and has no desire to, it's kind of awful.

With the exception, that is, of the fantastic finale track. Holy smokes, that's good stuff.