• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. FilmMusicReporter.com broke the news a week or so ago. Abel has already recorded his score.

Horner recorded his score, too. Sony Classical was going to release it, but it appears that's been nixed.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2013 edited
    justin boggan wrote
    Horner recorded his score, too. Sony Classical was going to release it, but it appears that's been nixed.

At least release it digitally! Doesn't cost much.....

Also, its rather unusual in this day and age to reject a clasically-minded composer for one that's even more clasically minded...
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  2. Abel was an excellent choice, nonetheless. If I had to name replacement composers for the film, he's had been on my top five. I would have picked Yared over him though.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2013
    justin boggan wrote
    Abel was an excellent choice, nonetheless. If I had to name replacement composers for the film, he's had been on my top five. I would have picked Yared over him though.

That would have been karmic retribution for Mr. Yared.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Scribe wrote
    justin boggan wrote

At least release it digitally! Doesn't cost much.....

Also, its rather unusual in this day and age to reject a clasically-minded composer for one that's even more clasically minded...

Maybe Horner will release it as a Classical Album?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    lp wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    Abel was an excellent choice, nonetheless. If I had to name replacement composers for the film, he's had been on my top five. I would have picked Yared over him though.

That would have been karmic retribution for Mr. Yared.

Wouldn't it just wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    If his score was as generic and auto-pilot'y as For Greater Glory, then I say good riddance. It deserves to be replaced. (On the other hand, he may composed some really wonderful music. But seriously, that score. Fuck that score.)
  3. I hope they'll release it anyway.

NP - IRIS - James Horner

This score is perfectly pleasant. It reminds me of THE SPITFIRE GRILL quite a bit.
  4. Steven wrote
    If his score was as generic and auto-pilot'y as For Greater Glory, then I say good riddance. It deserves to be replaced. (On the other hand, he may composed some really wonderful music. But seriously, that score. Fuck that score.)

"Generic" and "auto-pilot'y" Horner is still better than most composers' original works.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2013
    Bregt wrote
    Bregje wrote
    Today I listened to Mystery of the Nile - because it fit the temperatures.

I also had to think of my Water themed compilation I never finished! That would be great for warm days like these as well. Of course it should have Beyond Rangoon on it and Swimming from Waterworld. I think I started making a list at some point but never actually made the compilation. I don't remember well.

And Danna's Water? Perhaps also a track from Fenton's Blue Planet (Spinning Dolphins or Emperors)? Finding Nemo too!

Thanks! Of course, Water. But I never got into Nemo. Fenton is a great idea too.

Timmer wrote:
    I'm sure we can all help out...

LEVIATHAN

THE LOVEMAKING

ISLANDS OF GREEN

Thanks! Reminds me of some more like Hirschfelders Sanctum, and Alan Williams' Amazon.

Hm, I could easily make a good list. I think I will. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    justin boggan wrote
    FilmMusicReporter.com broke the news a week or so ago. Abel has already recorded his score.

Ah, thanks. I didn't know the news was already out and I also didn't know about Horner being rejected. Man, weird things happening, but I am very happy for Korzeniowski and can't wait to hear it.
  5. Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Steven wrote

"Generic" and "auto-pilot'y" Horner is still better than most composers' original works.

I've grown sick and fed up with "generic" and "auto-pilot'y" Horner. The current development comes as no surprise to me. He had it coming.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Did you like The Amazing Spiderman Volker?

(That's the last Horner I have heard. I think I don't listen enough scores being released to have an opinion about Horner or any composer in general. I only listen to a few new scores a year, hopefully the best ones, usually the ones I read good reviews about.)
  6. "Spiderman" was a pleasant surprise to me. It showed that Horner can still be creative. Yet I have no further need for scores like "For Greater Glory".
  7. NP: Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome (1985) Tadlow - Maurice Jarre

Now, this is Jarre in all his glory, isnt it?

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome (1985) Tadlow - Maurice Jarre

Now, this is Jarre in all his glory, is it?

Volker

It's BRILLIANT! punk
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Steven wrote

I never thought I'd be bothered by this, and usually I actually enjoy hearing Horner re-use previous themes (Enemy At The Gates is a particular favourite of mine). But For Greater Glory is just so generic and so auto-pilot and, frankly, rather uninteresting, I'd much rather listen to most others' original works. I find Djwadi's Pacific Rim far more enjoyable than For Greater Glory, and I'm not even that mad about it!

Anyway. It's just one score. Horner is still capable of great stuff of course, and I loved Black Gold and Spiderman. But his music for Greater Glory just took the piss.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I'm sorry that I like something that you hate.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    NP: I'm listening to Marc Papeghin's French Horn Tributes to John Williams.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Scribe wrote

What? uhm
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: 9 (Deborah Lurie/Danny Elfman)

Some of it is a bit too bombastic and directionless, but there are some great tracks too, especially in the calmer moments.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Scribe wrote

Rarely have I seen such a self pitying post. Why the hell should it bother you if someone doesn't like what you like?

Really Matt, c'mon man hug
  8. Re: Horner, I really hope this is true.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Re: Horner, I really hope this is true.

Hmmmm? I wouldn't set your hopes high.
  9. Kevin Scarlet wrote

amazon.de does not list it.

Volker
  10. Kevin Scarlet wrote

I doubt that this will turn out to be true. Release date isn't until October and Amazon are probably listing the information they received originally when Horner was still associated with this project.

I think that the UK version of Romeo and Juliet lists the composer/artist as "various" which, under the current climate, is probably as true and up-to-date as we are going to get.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  11. Korzeniowski announced on facebook today that his score had been accepted. When asked whether he heard any of Horner's score he said "yes, but only an early version." It makes me wonder whether Horner's score was never fully recorded at all.

NP - THE LEGEND OF ZORRO - James Horner

"The Train" is a masterpiece of modern film scoring.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ^
    It's a flaming corking piece! punk
  12. Bregje wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    FilmMusicReporter.com broke the news a week or so ago. Abel has already recorded his score.

Ah, thanks. I didn't know the news was already out and I also didn't know about Horner being rejected. Man, weird things happening, but I am very happy for Korzeniowski and can't wait to hear it.

In this Hollywood with 30 rejected scores almost every year now (not counting ones where there were also replacements and no score recorded), nobody is safe. I dare say not even Williams.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE LEGEND OF ZORRO - James Horner

Thanks for the heads-up Christopher beer