• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. justin boggan wrote
    In this Hollywood with 30 rejected scores almost every year now (not counting ones where there were also replacements and no score recorded), nobody is safe. I dare say not even Williams.

Since he's only scoring for Spielberg these days (and maybe Star Wars?) I would be pretty shocked if he had a score replaced.

Now Zimmer, there's a guy who's not going to have a score replaced any time soon.

Timmer wrote
    NP : THE LEGEND OF ZORRO - James Horner

Thanks for the heads-up Christopher beer

punk

NP - THE MISSING - James Horner.

This is a really strong score. I don't understand the lukewarm reception it got when it came out. It's got big themes in the style of LEGENDS OF THE FALL (though not the same themes, refreshingly), some great action scoring, and even some quieter moments that are really lovely. "Dawn to Dusk" as well as the last four tracks are all excellent and good examples of what I'm talking about.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2013
    christopher wrote

NP - THE MISSING - James Horner.

This is a really strong score. I don't understand the lukewarm reception it got when it came out. It's got big themes in the style of LEGENDS OF THE FALL (though not the same themes, refreshingly), some great action scoring, and even some quieter moments that are really lovely. "Dawn to Dusk" as well as the last four tracks are all excellent and good examples of what I'm talking about.

It's an excellent 40 minute score! When you cut and edit out the boring parts.
  2. Actually, I love The Missing and The Four Feathers as a whole, some of my post-2000 favourites there.

I completely agree with you on For Greater Glory though. Just as you, I never thought I'd be offended by his reuses, but this time it happened.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  3. yeah

Throw in tracks 1, 5, 7, and 11 to the ones I already mentioned and you've got all you need. What's on those tracks is great stuff.

NP - THE PERFECT STORM - James Horner

If not for the electric guitar, this score would be one of my very favorite Horner scores. "Coming Home From the Sea" is sooooo good, except for those guitars! angry Those should stay far away from orchestral film scoring, imo.
  4. And I love Enemy at the Gates, go figure.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    If not for the guitars!? You are mad! dizzy The guitars are awesome! punk

The complete score has recently been released in scurvy pirate land, and I can assure you there are a few BRILLIANT cues missing from an already perfect album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Also, no instrument should stay away from orchestral film scoring, I think that's a terrible attitude towards creativity! What matters is how well they're used.
  5. I love the guitars in The Perfect Storm. Really cool and unique use of the instrument, both the driving rhythm and the seagull-like calls, great stuff. And if Treasure Planet is anything to go by, James Newton Howard agrees with me. wink

Steven wrote
    Also, no instrument should stay away from orchestral film scoring, I think that's a terrible attitude towards creativity! What matters is how well they're used.

yeah
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Right. I'm back. And I'm listening to the score that appears second in my alphabetically-ordered James Horner top five, which is of course Glory.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2013
    Steven wrote

Imagine saying the Blaster Beam should stay away from orchestral film scoring back in 79!
    A certain Goldsmith score (as awesome as it was anyway) just wouldn't be the same!
    And neither would The Black Hole etc.
  6. Meet Joe Black - Thomas Newman

I haven't listened to "That Next Place" in a long time. Wow. shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorchristopher
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2013 edited
    Southall wrote
    Right. I'm back. And I'm listening to the score that appears second in my alphabetically-ordered James Horner top five, which is of course Glory.

An excellent, excellent score. It's my favorite score and has been for a long time.

Atham wrote
    Steven wrote

Imagine saying the Blaster Beam should stay away from orchestral film scoring back in 79!
    A certain Goldsmith score (as awesome as it was anyway) just wouldn't be the same!
    And neither would The Black Hole etc.

Yes but the Blaster Beam isn't an electric guitar! My irrational prejudices don't extend to any other instrument that I have discovered yet. Creativity weighs much less importantly in my mind than an absence of electric guitars wink

Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Meet Joe Black - Thomas Newman

I haven't listened to "That Next Place" in a long time. Wow. shocked

And that is my favorite single piece of music! You fellows are listening to some great stuff tonight!

NP - THE PERFECT STORM again.

(which, btw, has one of Horner's greatest track titles ever: "There is no goodbye...only love"....yikes!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    christopher wrote
    Creativity weighs much less importantly in my mind than an absence of electric guitars wink

biggrin

Fair enough.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE WILD GEESE - Roy Budd

Good stuff! cool punk
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    John Williams playlist

Bloody hell, John Williams is good.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Out of curiosity James, what is your playlist? I made a CD for my dad recently. Admittedly John Williams has way more than one disc of highlights but this what I put together:

Prologue from Hook
    Indy's Very First Adventure
    Journey To The Island
    Across The Stars
    Catch Me If You Can
    Main Titles And First Victim
    The Map Room - Dawn
    Jazz Autographs
    An edited version of Mischief Managed from HP3
    Throne Room And End Title
    The Visitors - Bye - End Titles
    Adventure On Earth
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I've got loads of things on it, just went through my iPod adding stuff...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    At the moment "Men of the Yorktown March" from Midway, which is one hell of a spectacular piece that barely anyone seems to know.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I must admit, I only have his well known stuff. And probably not all of it even then!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2013
    NP: Humanoids From The Deep - young James Horner

Because I'm in a strange musical mood and I felt like listening to borrowings from Jaws, Psycho, Alien, The Boys From Brazil, The Swarm etc all mixed with a nice dose of blaster beam.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Turbo - Henry Jackman

Been listening to this score. It's an excellent techno-orchestral score. You hear the actual brass line and orchestral parts mingling successfully with the heavy layers of electronic percussions. And there's also a Morricone homage throughout. Very enjoyable. If John Powell doesn't work in animation anymore, Henry Jackman is a perfect substitute.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Hmmmm, I never heard of this score until now.
    I usually like Jackman's work and your review is now making me curious to check it out.
    Thanks, lp!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Martijn wrote
    Hmmmm, I never heard of this score until now.
    I usually like Jackman's work and your review is now making me curious to check it out.
    Thanks, lp!

Thanks, however, I must say that the score does suffer a bit from MickeyMousing symptom, where it feels very very scene specific with the stop and go of musical ideas. There'd be some really cool thematic stuff that's really cooking and then the flame get put out. I blame the animation mostly for this. But the main thing I got from the score is that Henry knows how to handle various layers of the orchestra/electronics and not mush them all together in the final recording.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : BACKDRAFT - Hans Zimmer

Excellent!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  7. I've been listening to a lot of favorite things by JNH today.

I recently finished LADY IN THE WATER. I love that there are little bits of what makes THE GREAT EATLON so great peppered throughout the score up to that point. It's just cool when scores build to a huge moment but foreshadow that along the way. This score did that really well.

I just finished THE VILLAGE, which is excellent, but the track order on the album is no good. "The Vote" is sooooo good. It's the last scene in the film - it ought to be the last track on the album. Sticking those two other tracks after that seems very anticlimactic. Especially that last track. It's just not a good one to end on. I think I chronological presentation would have worked a lot better. Does anyone know what a chronological tracklist on THE VILLAGE would look like?

I found this one on filmtracks and it looks about right?

1 - rituals
    2 - race to resting rock
    3 - bad color
    4 - forbidden line
    5 - those we don't speak of
    6 - noah visits
    7 - i cannot see his color
    8 - what are you asking me
    9 - shed not to be used
    10 - it is not real
    11 - gravel road
    12 - will you help me
    13 - the vote

Anyone know better? I'm pretty sure the last four are right, and 7-9 look right, too. I'm not sure about the first few, though. And even if "Noah visits" would be the 6th track, it's such a good track to start the album on I might put it at the front anyway.

Suggestions? Does anyone else care? I just think the proper sequencing could make a strong score even stronger. "The Gravel Road" is another dazzling piece that deserves a finale-type placement closer to the end of the album, imo. Chronological sequencing does that.

That is all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2013
    NP: THE BEST EXOTIC MARIGOLD HOTEL - THOMAS NEWMAN

Assault On The Senses is quickly becoming one of my favourite Newman cues ever. So good.

cool
  8. Yes, I played it endlessly last Sunday. And to think he'd never been to India before he wrote the score...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2013
    Copperhead - Laurent Eyquem

Gorgeous music, one of the year's best so far.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2013 edited
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Yes, I played it endlessly last Sunday. And to think he'd never been to India before he wrote the score...

shocked

Just imagine how I felt when I heard John Williams had never been to Alderaan.
  9. applause