• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Would anyone other than you think it was beautiful, or is this one of those ambient electronic things that you love and I don't? smile

NP - "HOSTEL II Suite" by Nathan Barr

I never would have sought this score out, but the suite from this score on the Varese 30th anniversary set is very nice.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2013
    christopher wrote
    Would anyone other than you think it was beautiful, or is this one of those ambient electronic things that you love and I don't?.

Probably the last thing -- there are some wild avantgarde textures, but also pieces of pure harmonic beauty, like "Sisters, Part 2".
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2013
    Good. That means I can skip this one then.

Specific Rim - Ramin Djawadi

I like it. Nothing great, but it's got some cool motifs. With this and Game of thrones, Djawadi's name has certainly become more interesting to me (which I never thought possible in light of Iron Man).
  2. Same here, I am really surprised at the complexity of Djawadi's harmonic language.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Steven wrote

I like it. Nothing great, but it's got some cool motifs. With this and Game of thrones, Djawadi's name has certainly become more interesting to me (which I never thought possible in light of Iron Man).

Surprisingly, Iron Man 1 is Pacific Rim-lite, less orchestral, but with the same catchy rock attitude, and is still a good enough score for the franchise.

Aaaaaand, remember when John Debney wrote about how he had heard Ramin's IM1 score and said he could have done better? Mr Debney sure proved himself wrong with his own IM2 score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    lp wrote
    Aaaaaand, remember when John Debney wrote about how he had heard Ramin's IM1 score and said he could have done better? Mr Debney sure proved himself wrong with his own IM2 score.

I bet Debney hadn't met the director when he wrote that. I don't doubt that Debney could have written an engaging melodic score, but obviously that wasn't requested. Fortunately, we have IM3 to make up for it and hopefully a continuing trend towards bolder themes as the Marvel series moves on.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Speaking of Djawadi...

Mhysa!!!!

....probably will end up one of my 5 favorite tracks of the year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    lp wrote
    Aaaaaand, remember when John Debney wrote about how he had heard Ramin's IM1 score and said he could have done better?

Did he really write that? Do you remember where he wrote it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Scribe wrote
    lp wrote

I bet Debney hadn't met the director when he wrote that. I don't doubt that Debney could have written an engaging melodic score, but obviously that wasn't requested. Fortunately, we have IM3 to make up for it and hopefully a continuing trend towards bolder themes as the Marvel series moves on.

I'm sure Debney could have written a good melodic score, but I do disagree with him about Ramin's score being lacking in the theme department. The music that IM1 got was perfect for it, in every way.
  3. Scribe wrote
    lp wrote

Actually, if I understand the situation correctly... Favreau was really, really pissed off that he couldn't get HIS composer on the first score. Djawadi barely survived that one.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Thor wrote
    christopher wrote
    Would anyone other than you think it was beautiful, or is this one of those ambient electronic things that you love and I don't?.

Probably the last thing -- there are some wild avantgarde textures, but also pieces of pure harmonic beauty, like "Sisters, Part 2".

The score is up front and centre in the film and works brilliantly. Some of the electronics certainly have a distinctly Vangelis feel to them, including that one example of beautiful harmony.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Scribe wrote
    lp wrote

Actually, if I understand the situation correctly... Favreau was really, really pissed off that he couldn't get HIS composer on the first score. Djawadi barely survived that one.

Yeah, Favreau got his way on the second movie, and John Debney under delivered. Figures.
  4. Steven wrote

yeah
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  5. NP: E.T. - The Extra Terrestrial / original release (1982) - John Williams

I just read a rather interesting thread over at the FSM board about what influences went into this famous score. (Les Baxter "Joy", Howard Hanson "Symphony No.2 ", Dvorak "Dumky Trio")

An iconic score, whatever was featured in the temp track! Still, I find such things interesting.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    lp wrote
    The music that IM1 got was perfect for it, in every way.

I'd say he got the tone right, but the execution was poor. It needed much more power in the themes and the orchestrations, and on that front it just falls flat. At least Debney's score has far better orchestrations, and a better theme (which actually gets a pretty decent workout in the end credits, even if it's too late by then).

I actually really enjoy the 8 minute action at the end of the film, lots of noisy fun!
  6. NP: 1492 - Conquest of Paradise (1992) - Vangelis

The film was flawed as a depicture of history and historic characters. Yet it was beautifully filmed and Depardieu's performance was great.

The score ranks with the very best things Vangelis has ever written. Superb!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: 1492 - Conquest of Paradise (1992) - Vangelis

The film was flawed as a depicture of history and historic characters. Yet it was beautifully filmed and Depardieu's performance was great.

The score ranks with the very best things Vangelis has ever written. Superb!

I thought it was a very fine film and a very fine score ( did you know John Barry was supposedly slated to score? ), the film is far better than the dopey Christopher Columbus The Discovery.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: E.T. - The Extra Terrestrial / original release (1982) - John Williams

I just read a rather interesting thread over at the FSM board about what influences went into this famous score. (Les Baxter "Joy", Howard Hanson "Symphony No.2 ", Dvorak "Dumky Trio")

An iconic score, whatever was featured in the temp track! Still, I find such things interesting.

Volker

Yes, all very well known by us geeks. I can't remember the full story on Les Baxter, I think he sued Williams? Yet they were, at least at one time, good friends?? ( I need to re-read into it ), The Hanson piece ( also used as the end theme in ALIEN ) is very obvious in JW's score.

Anyway, whatever "flaws" it may have, E.T. remains in my top 10-20 of all time favourite scores.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  7. I don't regard E.T. as being "flawed". After all all our classic composers "borrowed" from each other from time to time.

NP: Chariots of Fire - The Play (2012) - Vangelis

I very much like the additional music that Vangelis composed for the stage production. I'd love to hear this new music in a re-mix of the film. "Home in the Glen" is stunning. The re-mixes of the existing material that was carried over don't add much really. I would have preferred a new recording of the title tune.

After the relentless overdose of "CoF Titles" during the London Olympics enough time has passed so that I can enjoy this music again.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : "STAND BY FOR ACTION" THE MUSIC OF - Barry Gray

What I call a 'value for money' CD, just excellent, truly excellent!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Steven wrote
    lp wrote
    The music that IM1 got was perfect for it, in every way.

I'd say he got the tone right, but the execution was poor. It needed much more power in the themes and the orchestrations, and on that front it just falls flat. At least Debney's score has far better orchestrations, and a better theme (which actually gets a pretty decent workout in the end credits, even if it's too late by then).

I actually really enjoy the 8 minute action at the end of the film, lots of noisy fun!

I think that as long as Ramin didn't fail the movie (and he didn't), it doesn't matter if the orchestration wasn't up to par with Debney's effort. And Debney's theme was incredibly underwhelming especially after he promised it was gonna be good. The best material he came up with was arguably the "Russian" theme for the Crimson Dynamo.
  8. NP: Blade Runner 25th Anniversary Edtition, Disc 3 - Vangelis

Music inspired by the film but newly composed for this release. I like this CD a lot.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2013 edited
    NP: Turbo - Henry Jackman

Haven't listen to this in a couple days. It's a very good score. Some bits recall his Magneto theme, and much of the score has that G.I. Joe: Retaliation vibe in the electronics, but with lots of orchestra layered in. It doesn't rival any recent John Powell animation scores, but it does show a really promising successor.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    lp wrote
    NP: Turbo - Henry Jackman

Haven't listen to this in a couple days. It's a very good score. Some bits recall his Magneto theme, and much of the score has that G.I. Joe: Retaliation vibe in the electronics, but with lots of orchestra layered in. It doesn't rival any recent John Powell animation scores, but it does show a really promising successor.

I remember Jackman saying 'Magneto' was John Barry inspired. Someone put a video of him up talking about it but I can't find it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    lp wrote

Actually, Debney said he was disappointed that he didn't score the first Iron Man film because he had great theme in his head for the character.

Here's an interesting interview with Debney that touched upon his work on the second Iron Man film.
    http://www.aintitcool.com/node/46452

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  9. Erik Woods wrote
    lp wrote

Actually, Debney said he was disappointed that he didn't score the first Iron Man film because he had great theme in his head for the character.

Here's an interesting interview with Debney that touched upon his work on the second Iron Man film.

-Erik-

Thanks for that link, Erik. That's one of the best composer interviews I've ever read. Very informative and interesting. Debney seems like a great guy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Great comments in that interview. Like I thought, the score sucked because the director wanted it to suck.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    christopher wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    lp wrote

-Erik-

Thanks for that link, Erik. That's one of the best composer interviews I've ever read. Very informative and interesting. Debney seems like a great guy.

Debney and I are on opposite sides, politically, but yes -- he does seem like a likeable fellow.
    I am extremely serious.
  10. I tend not to judge a person by his political views as long as those aren't extremely left od right wing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Erik Woods wrote
    lp wrote

-Erik-

Hmm, from the interview

The very last thing I threw on the soundtrack is a piece called "I Am Iron Man" and that is a portion of what I hoped was going to become "Iron Man's" theme. There weren't a lot of places in the movies where we could play it. When we put on the suit we’d hear strings but that’s not the theme. We recorded like five different versions of the "putting on the suit" music with different portions of the theme fleshed out or left out. The one we ended up going with was less thematic. It was sort of a groove with a little bit of French horn. Maybe that was the right choice, but it was a difficult decision. It was difficult to find the areas in the movie where we could let Tony be a superhero. There were moments where I wanted to play a scene broadly or make a love scene out of it but we were never able to go there. At the end of the movie when Tony finally kisses Pepper, for heaven’s sake, there were a couple of versions I did that were really gorgeous and lush but it just didn't fit. It's a different kind of movie because they kiss and then all of a sudden the mood is broken. It's just the nature of this character. I hope that answers your question as to the "why" of the score. I had the same feelings about it myself.

I thought Jon felt sometimes, “We don’t necessarily want to do a rock and roll score.” The first one was more like that which was really well done. Ramin did a terrific job. I think Jon wanted to go a little more orchestral and a little more traditional. I would try to infuse it with the organic elements from the first score. One thing never really comes first. It’s more like one thing leads to another and you just sort of go from there. You just experiment and you try different things and at the end of the day you come to some kind of common consensus as to what a piece of music is going to be.

Based on this, I think Jon got the score that he, for better or worse, wanted in the beginning. It's completely fair for me to say that, under the constraints that he was given, he was not successful in giving us a "better" theme than what Ramin has provided. Though I have to say I much prefer John Debney's score overall over Brian Tyler's own.

NP: Iron Man 2 - John Debney

It's much, MUCH better than I remember it being, and much better than IM3. It's too bad that Debney wasn't allowed back.