• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2013
    Steven said:

DVD? It's a beautifully shot film, so for that it does at least deserve nothing less than 1080p. tongue

Yeap, thought so. DVD it is then.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Bregt wrote
    Wow. He talked with the devil.
    He felt every lash on Christ's back. uhm

Debney must be a bit crazy!

I suppose if you believe in a personal God, specifically the Christian version, then seeing the Devil at work in that situation stands to reason.

Of course, I use the word 'reason' in relative terms. The guy's obviously living in the clouds a bit...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Mans a weirdo.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Is it, really?

Every composer does weird PR? How are Debney's statements different to Hans Zimmer saying that Danny Elfman's Batman theme is "jolly".
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2013 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Is it, really?

Every composer does weird PR? How are Debney's statements different to Hans Zimmer saying that Danny Elfman's Batman theme is "jolly".

I think you're really stretching it there mate just to get Hans a mention.

But anyway, He's right, Elfman's Bat theme is rather jolly once you take away the ominous Herrmann bits.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Is it, really?

It would be jolly if Elfman add sleigh-bells to the theme. The theme is "heroic" and "mysterious."

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Is it, really?

biggrin

Well, I presume this is a joke? uhm
  2. Timmer wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Is it, really?

I think you're really stretching it there mate just to get Hans a mention.

But anyway, He's right, Elfman's Bat theme is rather jolly once you take away the ominous Herrmann bits.

Rather going with the usual controversy rather than mentioning the overally loved James Horner who downright lied about not knowing who Jerry Goldsmith was in the beginning of his career. And yet, he dated Goldsmith's daughter and attended Star Trek sessions back in 1979.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    But Debney clearly wasn't lying, so there's a difference. The man obviously really believes the crazy things that he, apparently, said.

Good effort in defending the crazies though! I am entertained. biggrin
  3. How do you know that he believes THIS after *reading* an interview? As I said many very odd things have been said by composers during their PR sessions. Having to promote music for a definitely religious project as The Passsion of the Christ *was*, what would you say to promote the score AND the film if your biggest audience would be very religious people?

What I'm saying is that there might have been exaggeration for effect that went awry, simply. Debney isn't exactly renowned for giving interviews to basically anyone in the industry and whoever read that AICN thing might see that he's quite a positive and intelligent human being. Doing such an exaggeration for effect demands a lot of schooling and/or experience. Even the most experienced composers, directors or actors have been guilty of such things going somehow awry sometimes.

I agree that it was downright stupid of him to say such a thing and I used to know a person who lost respect to Debney after reading this (though, ironically, he gained respect for religion after seeing the film, even if he wasn't converted). I can pretty well understand that. But I just wouldn't judge John Debney as a human being just because he said something stupid in an interview.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Rather going with the usual controversy rather than mentioning the overally loved James Horner who downright lied about not knowing who Jerry Goldsmith was in the beginning of his career. And yet, he dated Goldsmith's daughter and attended Star Trek sessions back in 1979.

Do you know where this interview is? I've mentioned it myself many times but don't think I've read it first hand.
  4. Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Yeah, I wasn't impressed by Last Temptation either but then, it is a very long time ago that I saw it, maybe I'd have a different opinion now? I keep meaning to watch Passion but never got around to it, I've no excuse really as my best friend has it on DVD for loan.

DVD? It's a beautifully shot film, so for that it does at least deserve nothing less than 1080p. tongue

That said, this film is particularly disturbing given its graphic nature and that a large proportion of the world believes what they watched is a history lesson. rolleyes

Except the resurrection bit, from what I know, the film is actually well-seen by historians with the only major criticism being thrown at the depicted violence, saying that it was way exaggerated for effect. But except the exclusively Biblical elements (the elements of the Gospels, like the denial of Jesus by Peter and so on), as far as I understand it's a fairly accurate depiction of a Roman crucifixion.

I actually read a medical paper about the Passion (the event, not the movie) and the authors were surprised by how accurate were Luke's (he was a doctor, remember) observations. Christ bleeding from his armpits in Gethsemane? Yes, this can happen under big duress (though Luke and the rest Christianity obviously regarded it as a sort of miracle). Flagellation? A typical pre-crucifixion procedure to weaken the body. Punches, the "crowning"? All made Jesus weaker due to blood loss, and so on.
  5. Southall wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

Do you know where this interview is? I've mentioned it myself many times but don't think I've read it first hand.

The interview itself, I have no idea, but that particular bit is in Horner's Memorable Quotes on filmtracks.
  6. Oh sorry, Jesus speaking Latin was also criticized by historians, but these were the only major quibbles.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Southall wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

The interview itself, I have no idea, but that particular bit is in Horner's Memorable Quotes on filmtracks.

I remember reading it years ago but I can't remember where now?

I think he also denied the existence of Sergei Prokofiev.*

*sort of wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    PawelStroinski wrote
    How do you know that he believes THIS after *reading* an interview?

I don't. That's why I said 'apparently'. But assuming he did say it, I think it's also safe to assume he meant it, given his beliefs.

As I said many very odd things have been said by composers during their PR sessions. Having to promote music for a definitely religious project as The Passsion of the Christ *was*, what would you say to promote the score AND the film if your biggest audience would be very religious people?

I think this goes a little bit beyond PR, if what was written is what was said. In his position, I would probably say I felt "inspired by the good Lord", not some crazy malarkey about the Devil getting in his way (you would think the Devil would think of better things to do than to cause mischieve at scoring sessions).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    PawelStroinski wrote

How do you know that he said THIS after *reading* a quote?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    PawelStroinski wrote
    ...as far as I understand it's a fairly accurate depiction of a Roman crucifixion.

And Game Of Thrones is a pretty good depiction of life under monarchy rule! Historians must love that show too. wink
  7. Never heard of a scandal that Horner complained he'd been misquoted.
  8. Steven wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    ...as far as I understand it's a fairly accurate depiction of a Roman crucifixion.

And Game Of Thrones is a pretty good depiction of life under monarchy rule! Historians must love that show too. wink

Some historians actually praise the books wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Never heard of a scandal that Horner complained he'd been misquoted.

Brilliant, Pawel. applause
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Southall wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

I remember reading it years ago but I can't remember where now?

I think he also denied the existence of Sergei Prokofiev.*

*sort of wink

On that note, I read a brilliant interview with him the other day when he was directly asked about the classical lifts and talked very openly about it. I hadn't read it before (and thought all interviewers had shied away from asking him).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Sounds interesting! Where was that?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2013
    yeah

I'd love to read that.
  9. Yeah.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2013 edited
    NP: PACIFIC RIM - Ramin Djawadi

This is pretty enjoyable, I like it! Much better than the noise-fest you would normally come to expect from a film of this type.
  10. Timmer wrote
    NP: PACIFIC RIM - Ramin Djawadi

This is pretty enjoyable, I like it! Much better than the noise-fest you would normally come to expect from a film of this type.

yeah
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ...there's a few riffs here and there that are definitely a homage to Akira Ifukube. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    yeah
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!