• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. E.T. - The Extra-Terrestrial - John Williams

More filler than I remember from the movie, but overall pretty good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2013
    Pretty good? uhm
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Pacific Rim - Ramin Djawadi

Definitely growing on me. I must admit I was ready to pass this one off as another noisy forgettable RC Hollywood score, and although it does somewhat fall into that category, it is at least one of the better ones.

The only major quibble is, as Anthony had pointed out, the rather weak sound from the orchestra. I want to hear BIG sounds, and the orchestra here sounds tiny.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Agree. I would have doubled the brass section for starters! I like his "monster" theme but would have loved to hear it performed by a larger orchestra. That aside I find this score quite enjoyable on the most part.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Pacific Rim is for me, up till now at least, the most flat-out enjoyable score of the year.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    E.T. - The Extra-Terrestrial - John Williams

I'll reiterate what my esteemed friend above said, pretty good? uhm

I do wonder which version you're listening to though Kevin, is it the anniversary expanded original score or John Williams vastly superior original commercial release?

There's a MASSIVE difference between these albums.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Timmer wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote

I'll reiterate what my esteemed friend above said, pretty good? uhm

I do wonder which version you're listening to though Kevin, is it the anniversary expanded original score or John Williams vastly superior original commercial release?

There's a MASSIVE difference between these albums.

The Anniversary edition.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Have you heard the original release? It was a re-rerecording, one of the greatest soundtrack albums ever IMO.

I like having the anniversary release but it's very rare that I reach for it over the awesome 1982 album.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Have you heard the original release? It was a re-rerecording, one of the greatest soundtrack albums ever IMO.

I like having the anniversary release but it's very rare that I reach for it over the awesome 1982 album.

yeah
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Steven wrote
    Pretty good? uhm

Yeah, especially towards the end.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Films.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Lincoln - John Williams

Feel free to correct me but this might be the most introspective score Williams has written.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Steven wrote
    Pretty good? uhm

uhm

You're either listening to an entirely different score, you're unaware of what you've just experienced, or just the master of understatement.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2013 edited
    Timmer wrote

I'm probably the only one who prefers the anniversary edition! I can see why most people prefer the 1982 album, it is a fantastic album, one of THE best by far. But... I admire the score so much, I love hearing the whole thing and being taken on that journey each time. lick (Not to say those who prefer the 1982 album don't appreciate the score, it's just that I prefer the full 'narrative' of the anniversary album.)

A very personal score for me, as it is for you I seem to recall. punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yes it is Steven, a very personal album.
  5. Steven wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Steven wrote
    Pretty good? uhm

uhm

You're either listening to an entirely different score, you're unaware of what you've just experienced, or just the master of understatement.

Or you just love it more than I did. wink
  6. On to Seven Years in Tibet. This I like a lot.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Steven wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Steven wrote
    Pretty good? uhm

uhm

No doubt. Though I think just about every score fan is (or should be) able to appreciate the mastery of Williams' ET score and go a little bit beyond describing it is as "pretty good" (unless of course you're fishing for responses, in which case I'm guilty of taking the bait). I think it's a pretty cut and dry objectively brilliant score. (Whether you love it or not.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Kevin Scarlet wrote

Filler? uhm

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    ET is really overrated, it sucks almost as much as Back to the Future and Jaws. So much brass and stuff, its so obvious and cliched. rolleyes

....just kidding...
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Scribe wrote
    ET is really overrated, it sucks almost as much as Back to the Future and Jaws. So much brass and stuff, its so obvious and cliched.

Now you gon dun it shocked dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Lincoln - John Williams

Feel free to correct me but this might be the most introspective score Williams has written.

Maybe only Saving Private Ryan could also claim that title.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    E.T. has been on a weird personal journey. I've always liked it to a certain extent, but when I first bought the soundtrack, I found it somewhat "Richard Claydermany". Didn't connect with me as much as other JW scores at the time. Then I gave it another chance and suddenly I liked it. Then I wrote about the score in my thesis, and after that it reached a whole new level of appreciation.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2013
    Not to put too fine a point on it, but "Adventure on Earth", especially the bicycle chase part, is simply one of the greatest works of art in the history of mankind. At least if greatness of art is measured in the ability to give pleasure to the recipients of the art. It's also better than sex, fine wine, pizza, and the Indy 500.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    That's true Scribe!
    My wife recently gave me an ultimatum, "either it's "Adventure on Earth" yet again or it's (see list above)!!!"
    I'm torn!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    shocked lol dizzy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Scribe wrote
    Not to put too fine a point on it, but "Adventure on Earth", especially the bicycle chase part, is simply one of the greatest works of art in the history of mankind. At least if greatness of art is measured in the ability to give pleasure to the recipients of the art. It's also better than sex, fine wine, pizza, and the Indy 500.

Yes indeedy, it's up there IMO.
  7. Erik Woods wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote

Filler? uhm

-Erik-

Maybe not filler, but a lot of underscore in the middle section.
  8. Steven wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Steven wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Steven wrote
    Pretty good? uhm

uhm

No doubt. Though I think just about every score fan is (or should be) able to appreciate the mastery of Williams' ET score and go a little bit beyond describing it is as "pretty good" (unless of course you're fishing for responses, in which case I'm guilty of taking the bait). I think it's a pretty cut and dry objectively brilliant score. (Whether you love it or not.)

No doubt it is immaculately written and God knows the film would be severely wanting without it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Kevin, I think you should try listening to the 1982 recording, 40 minutes of no filler whatsoever.