• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Just played: Beyond Rangoon - Hans Zimmer

I just love Zimmer's early work!

Next up:

Moon 44 and
    Helen of Troy - Joel Goldsmith

A fine composer gone too soon.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2013
    Today I played selections from Superman The Movie, The Empire Strikes Back, Raiders of the Lost Ark and E.T.
    Interesting hearing so much trumpet, an instrument that has been disposed of in just about all modern film scores! Anyway, back to the classics. Next up, Jurassic Park.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Atham wrote
    Today I played selections from Superman The Movie, The Empire Strikes Back, Raiders of the Lost Ark and E.T.
    Interesting hearing so much trumpet, an instrument that has been disposed of in just about all modern film scores! Anyway, back to the classics. Next up, Jurassic Park.

Hey, that's cheating! You're playing nothing but awesomeness.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : PERCY JACKSON : SEA OF MONSTERS - Andrew Lockington

I thought I'd give it a listen myself.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: "End" from The Killing Room by Brian Tyler

After you listen to too much Tyler action music I start to think he doesn't have very many tricks up his sleeve, then something like this reminds me he's a phenomenal composer when he's given the chance to be creative. Something like this for the darker scenes of Avengers 2, please!
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote

Well, it's not as bad as I was led to believe, the overly busyness of the score gets a bit tiring but there's a few nice bits.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: "Fairy Dance" from Peter Pan by JNH

Where has this JNH gone??
  2. Copperhead - Laurent Eyquem, while writing review for Tracksounds

Very pretty, very romantic in places, kinda Legends of the Fall-ish, but a bit more variety would go a long, long way.
  3. Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote

Well, it's not as bad as I was led to believe, the overly busyness of the score gets a bit tiring but there's a few nice bits.

it's definitely not bad at all, but sadly it ain't Journey 2. A lack of that thematic brilliance of Journey 2 and only a couple of great choral moments (track 14 should have continued and expanded for goodness sake) and it makes for a (probable) 3 star listen

gonna finish it later and give it another spin after that
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Planes - Mark Mancina

I think this may be the most fun I've had with a score this year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2013 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote

I didn't think it was bad either. Not great by any means, but it's OK. Chop 20-25 minutes of the repetition out of it and there'd be a really strong album, probably.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Steven wrote
    Planes - Mark Mancina

I think this may be the most fun I've had with a score this year.

It's a very enjoyable score, and is definitely one of Mark's most fun score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Looks like I could have a new top 3 score of this year! It's so... melodic. It's so... Uplifting. Good on Mancina bringing in some jolliness to the year!

Still, Remember Me remains the true gem of the year. lick
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Steven wrote

:blech:
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    lp wrote
    Steven wrote

More like meh, for me. Its like the Matrix scores only lacking 50% of the orchestral chops and 75% of the emotion.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You guys are weird and wrong.
  4. Alfred Newman - The Robe

Those who have me on Facebook know that I'm going through a bit of a Golden Age binge, which is pretty much a rarity with me. There are a few reasons for that, one of them being the sheer length of the material and I can't listen to a 30 minute program of a Rozsa score, because of his impeccable sense of structure. Any kind of a selection of his material, even if made by the man himself, is, I think, far from giving justice to his concept of the music, which is something very important to me as a film music listener.

After Rozsa's Quo Vadis (Prague version) last night and El Cid earlier today (also the re-recording, for reasons stated above), I got to this beauty. I must admit that Alfred Newman's more low-key twist on the epic sound (I really love The Egyptian, but being a big fan of the FSM program, which I happen to own, I didn't go for the Varese edition; yes, I am also quite a Herrmann fan, probably my favourite Golden Age composer of them all) is something that suits me more - beautiful themes, sometimes very strained string performance (his string sound is just unimitable, isn't it?) and now some amazing piano writing in The Chase. Great stuff all along.

It's just plain lovely. It is helped in a big way by the fact that I met the European representative of the Miklos Rozsa society, the fantastic Alan Hamer, before the 35th Varese Anniversary concert in Poland. I also have some Waxman to check out, but not sure if I manage to handle it today. smile
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Scribe wrote
    lp wrote
    Steven wrote

More like meh, for me. Its like the Matrix scores only lacking 50% of the orchestral chops and 75% of the emotion.

I didn't want to do :meh: since it's old and busted. :blech: is the new and hotness for me. tongue

LOL. It sounds like a score that wants to be cool and awesome but kinda fell off the cliff while doing it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    By my understanding "meh" means underwhelming and unconvincing whereas "blech" means active dislike, disgust which I don't have for Remember Me, its ok and fun but only averagely so.

Yay for debating the meanings of non-words.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Scribe wrote
    By my understanding "meh" means underwhelming and unconvincing whereas "blech" means active dislike, disgust which I don't have for Remember Me, its ok and fun but only averagely so.

Yay for debating the meanings of non-words.

I guess you don't remember which thread you're in, right? NP:OT:ANYTHING GOES::notmeh:
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    ....I wasn't being sarcastic....
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    lp wrote
    It sounds like a score that wants to be cool and awesome but kinda fell off the cliff while doing it.

Oh man are you so wrong about that! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Alfred Newman - The Robe

Those who have me on Facebook know that I'm going through a bit of a Golden Age binge

Good for you, lad! thumbsup
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    lp wrote
    It sounds like a score that wants to be cool and awesome but kinda fell off the cliff while doing it.

Agree with Steven, but lp's comment did make me smile! biggrin
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Scribe wrote
    ....I wasn't being sarcastic....

I stand by my words, minus any grammatical errors.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Steven wrote
    lp wrote

I rolled my eyes so many times listening to it. I was largely disappointed after reading so much positive comments.
  5. Steven wrote
    lp wrote

And you are wrong about his being wrong. Not that he's right, but I kind of see where he's coming from and if he feels that way about it then it's valid.

Remember Me feels like a composer hitting on a seriously cool concept and running just a bit too far with it. Kind of the opposite of Hans Zimmer who hits on concepts that have the potential to be cool and then doesn't do nearly enough with them. Don't get me wrong, I prefer the Deriviere side of things for sure...but then you have someone like Don Davis who had a cool concept (not just that...pretty much a whole new musical style) and did exactly the right amount of "stuff" with it. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Elysium - Ryan Amon

I hated this the first time and switched it off after about ten minutes, then curiously when I gave it a second chance I found there was much more going on than I had thought, and I enjoyed it. Now on to the third time and I have to say
  6. I agree with what you say, and I'd like to add that
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I mean, when you think about it, you could point towards the