• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2013
    NP: "End Credits" from Apollo 13 by James Horner

Why does no one write music like this anymore?
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  1. Scribe wrote

Because Horner evidently has semi-retired from Hollywood. sad
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Scribe wrote

There are still plenty of composers with the "chops" out there, it's just a shame they don't get hired.

Amazing to think that Apollo 13 is almost 20 years old now, I hope Ron Howard hires Horner for his next film IN THE HEART OF THE SEA, the true story of the whale hunt that inspired Herman Melville to write MOBY DICK. A horrific survival story set at sea? I can't think of a better choice than Horner.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. NP: The Black Hole - John Barry (Intrada)

It still marveles me to hold this CD in my hands.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: The Black Hole - John Barry (Intrada)

It still marveles me to hold this CD in my hands.

Volker

A release I honestly thought would never happen let alone the complete score. Some fantastic pieces that were left off of it's original LP release. A fabulously dark score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    On The Beach - Christopher Gordon

The end of the world never sounded so good! cool
  3. NP: StarCrash - John Barry

What a fine score.
    What a hilarious film!

Yet observing Caroline Munro clad in next to nothing is worth your time. wink

Volker
  4. NP: James Bond 007: Moonraker - John Barry

James Bond meets Star Wars.

And this concludes my Barry-in-Space matinee from the late 70s.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    E.T. - The Extra-Terrestrial - John Williams

More filler than I remember from the movie, but overall pretty good.

Filler? uhm

-Erik-

Maybe not filler, but a lot of underscore in the middle section.

The whole IS underscore.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2013 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    E.T. - The Extra-Terrestrial - John Williams

More filler than I remember from the movie, but overall pretty good.

Filler? uhm

-Erik-

Maybe not filler, but a lot of underscore in the middle section.

The whole IS underscore.

-Erik-

I suggested this Erik...

Timmer said:-

Kevin, I think you should try listening to the 1982 recording, 40 minutes of no filler whatsoever.

Please ignore my flippant "filler" comment, no need for pedanticness from me wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: StarCrash - John Barry

What a fine score.
    What a hilarious film!

Yet observing Caroline Munro clad in next to nothing is worth your time. wink

Volker

It's UNBELIEVABLE! The naffest effects ever, I can actually identify segments of Airfix kits the model makers used, it's also got THE HOFF in it...and Christopher Plummer shocked and topped off with a decent John Barry in James Bond mode score.

STAR CRASH

It's so bad it's GOOD bad and I could honestly watch Caroline Monro forever! love
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial - John Williams

While the album re-recording is arguably one of the greatest soundtrack albums of all time the expanded release(s) is just as fantastic! Not one note wasted. Utterly brilliant!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD - Alfred Newman

Sublime!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    *like*
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Indeedy thumbsup ...and still playing.
  5. Timmer wrote
    Indeedy thumbsup ...and still playing.

Yeah, but there's a lot of filler.

wink
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  6. NP: Varese Sarabande 35th Anniversary Celebration, Disc 2

This is a very nice compilation.

Volker
  7. NP: Kon Tiki - Johan Söderqvist

Nice one. Very nice!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2013 edited
    NP : STAR TREK II : THE WRATH OF RICARDO MONTALBAN - James Horner

Not the best Star Trek movie score ( That's still Goldsmith's opening opus in my book ) but certainly the most action packed, a brilliant score and more than likely to be in my top 50 all time film scores if I could ever be bothered to try and subjectively list them.
  8. How do you like Battle Beyond the Stars?

NP: Iron Man 3 - Brian Tyler

The way this score is structured, a simple but recognizable theme gets varied in many ways throughout the album, reminds me of Jerry Goldsmith. Maybe it's also the percussion that seems to owe a bit to Total Recall.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2013
    Captain Future wrote
    How do you like Battle Beyond the Stars?

I like it a lot. It certainly didn't harm Jamie Horner's chances of the Trek II gig.
  9. Captain Future wrote
    How do you like Battle Beyond the Stars?

NP: Iron Man 3 - Brian Tyler

The way this score is structured, a simple but recognizable theme gets varied in many ways throughout the album, reminds me of Jerry Goldsmith. Maybe it's also the percussion that seems to owe a bit to Total Recall.

While a much worse (in fact, I believe, one of the worst melodists in the industry right now, from those who actually try writing melodies) thematic writer, Brian Tyler is the best pupil of the Jerry Goldsmith school of film scoring there is right now.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    PawelStroinski wrote
    While a much worse (in fact, I believe, one of the worst melodists in the industry right now, from those who actually try writing melodies) thematic writer, Brian Tyler is the best pupil of the Jerry Goldsmith school of film scoring there is right now.

I agree that many of his scores feature really unmemorable melodies, but I don't think he's anywhere near as bad as you say, otherwise how is IM3's theme the most memorable and hummable thing I've heard all year?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Because films these days are devoid of strong themes so even a half-decent one like IRON MAN 3 can stand out in a vacuum.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It also helps that he drew a bit of inspiration from Silvestri's Avengers theme. wink (And when I say "a bit", he pretty much used the exact same chord sequence. I have to stop and think if I'm playing either one on the piano that I'm not playing the other. dizzy )
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Steven wrote
    It also helps that he drew a bit of inspiration from Silvestri's Avengers theme. wink (And when I say "a bit", he pretty much used the exact same chord sequence. I have to stop and think if I'm playing either one on the piano that I'm not playing the other. dizzy )

I can't remember for the life of me what Silvestri's theme sounds like, even though I've seen the film 4 times and listened to the score many more. Which is unusual for a Silvestri theme, I would normally say he's a way better melody writer than Tyler.

I'll reserve further judgement until I hear Tyler's Thor score...if he writes too similar a theme for that one I'll be less impressed but for now I think IM3 is the best score of the whole Marvel franchise and that Tyler is a great hope for establishing some better musical continuity therein.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Scribe wrote

I'll reserve further judgement until I hear Tyler's Thor score...if he writes too similar a theme for that one I'll be less impressed but for now I think IM3 is the best score of the whole Marvel franchise and that Tyler is a great hope for establishing some better musical continuity therein.

yeah

I'm not a Tyler fan by any stretch but IRON MAN 3 was a step up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Scribe wrote
    Steven wrote

I can't remember for the life of me what Silvestri's theme sounds like

It sounds like Tyler's Iron Man 3 theme.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Planes - Mark Mancina

The return of one of the most promising first Zimmer collaborator, and it's an entertaining score, with lots of focus on a catchy theme and fun action passages. Mark Mancina has always been a very melodically inclined composer and this score shows it. The orchestrations are very well done and doesn't lack the bottom end that plague some of his 90s output. And the writing style is style is typically Mancina, balanced and not overly dense. The electronics aren't overwhelming, just complimentary and mainly to support the prominent (and brassy) orchestra. There are also acoustic guitar, spanish trumpet and flamenco guitar, sitar, choir, and even indian voice work and choir(!).
    I've read some comments that compared this score to Henry Jackman's and John Powell's work, and, I can't hear it. This is a Mancina score, and you can hear his stylistic flourishes throughout, even his percussion stuff is more 90s rock&roll drumkit vs the heavy drum/bass electronica of Henry Jackman repertoire.

It's very well done music, and I'm excited to hear it with the visuals. It's one of the most entertaining animation score this year for me. Much different than Henry Jackman's Turbo, if not better.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Also, my vote for best marvel score goes to Powell's X-Men 3.