• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2013
    ....are you both mocking Remember Me? slant
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  1. Scribe wrote
    ....are you both mocking Remember Me? slant

:doubletake: what? No! confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    No. Remember Me is my favourite score album of the year so far. I was only talking about Elysium, which
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I thought you were making a joke about how the music in Remember constantly stutters and stops and changes direction. If not, I have no idea what the joke is supposed to be....
  2. Scribe wrote
    I thought you were making a joke about how the music in Remember constantly stutters and stops and changes direction. If not, I have no idea what the joke is supposed to be....

Ah, I see. Nah, I was just poking fun at Mr. Southall's rather unfinished-seeming post just then. #don'texplainthejoke

Aaaargh! You made me use a hashtag! crazy
  3. Now were making posts like the "Sopranos" finale.

Well, I for one will not take part in
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  4. Martijn wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Alfred Newman - The Robe

Those who have me on Facebook know that I'm going through a bit of a Golden Age binge

Good for you, lad! thumbsup

I really like the Golden Age music, but the intensity of stuff (Rozsa tends to get a bit too heavy for me in large doses, for example, and sadly a large dose means nothing much more than a complete score a day) and the amount of material is something that makes me not return to it often.

What I love about the Golden Age the most? Not really the quality of orchestrations, which rivals none in film music with only John Williams getting to that level. Not even the expression of it, it's very expressive and when I am in the mood for huge expression in orchestral music I have a choice between Horner, Williams, some Goldsmith and, yes, Golden Age.

What I utterly love is the brilliant structure a guy like Miklos Rozsa or Alfred Newman put into their scores. I love the sheer genius and intellect that goes into them outside of all the high emotions stuff. Structure, ideas, this is why I am listening to film music and it doesn't matter who I am listening to.

If I find a score fun, but intellectually weak, I won't really like the composer's work (part of my problems with Brian Tyler were about that, but he redeemed himself with Far Cry 3 a lot). If a score is difficult to listen to, but brilliant on the cerebral level, I will praise it big time, like I did with Remember Me or the Matrix scores or Goldenthal, who I downright adore.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  5. PawelStroinski wrote
    If I find a score fun, but intellectually weak, I won't really like the composer's work (part of my problems with Brian Tyler were about that, but he redeemed himself with Far Cry 3 a lot). If a score is difficult to listen to, but brilliant on the cerebral level, I will praise it big time, like I did with Remember Me or the Matrix scores or Goldenthal, who I downright adore.

That's funny, I'm the exact other way around. Guilty pleasures do a LOT more for me than intellectual, challenging music, and I'm much more likely to throw on Jablonsky than Goldenthal. I won't make any apologies for it, either! Another example, I pretty much hated Tyler's Far Cry 3 outside of the bookending theme (and didn't even find much "intellectual" about it either, to be honest, other than complex electronic textures), but I like Battle: Los Angeles. punk

Although I do love scores like The Matrix or Lord of the Rings, which work on both a visceral and a cerebral level. Those are the real classics. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2013
    Steven wrote
    Still, Remember Me remains the true gem of the year. lick

One of the gems for sure! Absolutely superb!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  6. Skyfall - Thomas Newman

Having listened to this score more times than I care to admit, I believe "Quartermaster" is one of the most brilliant pieces Newman has ever written.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote
    Still, Remember Me remains the true gem of the year. lick

One of the gems for sure! Absolutely superb!

-Erik-

True, there are a few others. Hisaishi has composed one of them!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Which Hisaishi is that Steven??
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Alfred Newman - The Robe

Those who have me on Facebook know that I'm going through a bit of a Golden Age binge

Far and away a better play than anyone elses for at least two pages, super awesome score!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Scribe wrote
    Which Hisaishi is that Steven??

Giant squid music, it's not bad at all.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Skyfall - Thomas Newman

Having listened to this score more times than I care to admit, I believe "Quartermaster" is one of the most brilliant pieces Newman has ever written.

Fuck me! shocked
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2013 edited
    Martijn wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Alfred Newman - The Robe

Far and away a better play than anyone elses for at least two pages, super awesome score!

Atham wrote
    Today I played selections from Superman The Movie, The Empire Strikes Back, Raiders of the Lost Ark and E.T.
    Interesting hearing so much trumpet, an instrument that has been disposed of in just about all modern film scores! Anyway, back to the classics. Next up, Jurassic Park.

...except for Atham's post 13 hours ago biggrin wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    beer biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Truth is Truth! biggrin beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    ...but then you have someone like Don Davis who had a cool concept (not just that...pretty much a whole new musical style) and did exactly the right amount of "stuff" with it. cool

I absolutely ADORE the Matrix scores. Don Davis took something kinda abstract and made it completely accessible in a very intelligent way while gradually expanded the scope of its application in every possible methods.
  7. DESPICABLE ME 2 - Heitor Pereira

So far the only memorable pieces of music were ones where he was quoting the first film's score. The rest has seemed fairly uneventful to me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Elysium - Ryan Amon

Part generic but the rest is a very interesting listen!
    Great moments of clever instrumentation that are very arresting and fascinating.
    And yet there are the staple 'doom horns' and ostinato so prevalent in today's action scores found here.
    I'm certainly looking forward to seeing the film.
  8. NP: X-Men: The Last Stand - John Powell

Just handed in by the postman. First run. Man, beautiful stuff indeed!

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I think 'epic' is a more appropriate word overall, but there are certainly some beautiful moments to it (particularly the John Barry inspired bits).

Truly the most serious and poignant of the Marvel scores.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    I think 'epic' is a more appropriate word overall, but there are certainly some beautiful moments to it (particularly the John Barry inspired bits).

Truly the most serious and poignant of the Marvel scores.

Aye. I could listen to the Phoenix theme over and over, powerful and yet incredibly poignant.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    What's particularly clever about this score is that it almost fools you into believing you're watching a half decent film!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2013 edited
    haha! To be honest I don't remember it that well except it's got that silly prick Vinnie Jones in it.

that's the good thing about message boards, I can call Vinnie Jones or even Mike Tyson any name I want and not get seven shades of jebus shoed out of me.
  9. NP: DUNE (1984) - ToTo (David Paich) / Brian Eno

Maybe the one that started it all. The very CD I listen to now I bought over twenty years ago when I was still in grammar school (as a student I mean). I remember that I made several copies on compact cassette for friends back then. The film was very popular among my sifi peers.
    I still think the film is throughly underrated. I watch it at least once a year.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: DUNE (1984) - ToTo (David Paich) / Brian Eno

Maybe the one that started it all. The very CD I listen to now I bought over twenty years ago when I was still in grammar school (as a student I mean). I remember that I mad several copies on compact cassette for friends back then. The film was very popular among my sifi peers.
    I still think the film is throughly underrated. I watch it at least once a year.

I think it's very flawed but it's also brilliant and withstands repeated viewings, a stunning film with stunning production and design and great casting all around ( even knob-head STING is good in this ), the score is brilliant and far better than any other DUNE score out there.

By the way, it's Toto, not ToTo wink
  10. Timmer wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: DUNE (1984) - ToTo (David Paich) / Brian Eno

Maybe the one that started it all. The very CD I listen to now I bought over twenty years ago when I was still in grammar school (as a student I mean). I remember that I mad several copies on compact cassette for friends back then. The film was very popular among my sifi peers.

I think it's very flawed but it's also brilliant and withstands repeated viewings, a stunning film with stunning production and design and great casting all around ( even knob-head STING is good in this ), the score is brilliant and far better than any other DUNE score out there.

By the way, it's Toto, not ToTo wink

Or TOTO ... a betting pool, a dog in the neighbourhood, a fantastic rock band ... wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I can't remember where they took the name from? It was thought at one time to be from Dorothy's dog in The Wizard of Oz but I think that turned out not to be true?