• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. bounce
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2013
    biggrin

Well played.
  2. I actually don't get it. confused
  3. Christopher Young - An Unfinished Life

The rejected score. I haven't seen the movie, but got reminded about this underrated and largely unknown (sadly released only in limited form, that's why) score by Southall's review, when I was going through some of Young's music.

I am not well-versed in his stuff, really, with some horror classics having been off my radar because of my lack of interest in the genre itself. In fact, I must confess I haven't really seen many Christopher Young-scored films, no matter what. Most recent thing I have seen must be Shipping News, really. He wrote some beauties of course and he's not exactly massively known to the general soundtrack audience. This guy, seemingly very affable though I missed his presence in Poland, sadly, is great on a conceptual level, but this kind of emotional small-scale work is very much my cup of tea. Being the fan of the composer I am a huge fan of... I actually am a huge lover of restrained music, having a Thor experience of my own with trying to dumb down the bombast in my life.

Great little score, pity there weren't more copies, because I'd buy it now.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE SUM OF ALL FEARS - Jerry Goldsmith

One of his better later scores!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. Definitely the best post-1999.

Those who watched the movie know that the timpani at the start of Clear the Stadium is the best musical equivalent of "Oh fuck" ever written biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    My vote is for Timeline, but yes Sum of All Fears is excellent. Most composers have to throw in everything and the kitchen sink to achieve half the excitement that Goldsmith's action music could.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2013 edited
    Steven wrote
    My vote is for Timeline, but yes Sum of All Fears is excellent. Most composers have to throw in everything and the kitchen sink to achieve half the excitement that Goldsmith's action music could.

I've always said that Goldsmith was my favourite composer of action music and you're right, it's interesting that he generated such excitement without throwing the kitchen sink at it.
  5. It will always escape me how he managed to elicit such anger from his orchestra.

It's funny how people argue what is his best action score of them all and what ends up underrated is First Blood. Everybody I know mentions either Total Recall (yes, it's a complete work of genius) or First Blood Part II (which is a great case of self-parody, I think; Jerry winks at us in many ways, choice of electronics, over-the-top orchestrations, a very deliberate use of Asian cliches) and yet what's overlooked is the stark contrast between anger and brutality and Rambo's inherent tragedy in the first movie. That's a very serious score with an attitude and brilliant structure, as shown by the Intrada complete and chronological program.
  6. NP: The music of the classic Star Wars Trilogy as recorded by Charles Gerhardt for RCA and Varese.

So great!

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2013
    NP : STAR WARS: THE PHANTOM GOBSHITE - John Williams

IMO the very best of the prequel scores.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : SUPERBAD: THE VERY BEST OF BLAXPLOITATION - Various Artists

An excellent 3 CD set featuring funky/soul/blues from the likes of Curtis Mayfield to Isaac Hayes, Al Green to Herbie Hancock, Millie Jackson to Aretha Franklin.....The Four Tops, Kool and The Gang, War, JJ Johnson...........the list goes on and it's perfect hot sunny Sunday afternoon listening, ya dig? love
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    NP : SUPERBAD: THE VERY BEST OF BLAXPLOITATION - Various Artists

An excellent 3 CD set featuring funky/soul/blues from the likes of Curtis Mayfield to Isaac Hayes, Al Green to Herbie Hancock, Millie Jackson to Aretha Franklin.....The Four Tops, Kool and The Gang, War, JJ Johnson...........the list goes on and it's perfect hot sunny Sunday afternoon listening, ya dig? love

Ah. SINO.
    (Scores In Name Only).

wink

NP: Caravans - Mike Batt
    Batt, witness his pop/fusion albums is a hell of a tunesmith.
    I like his melodies. I like his arrangements. I like his 'tone'. And this soundtrack is no exception.
    No clue what the film is about, but the album cover and the faux-Arab sounds suggest a Middle East setting.
    Anyway, it all works exceedingly pleasantly and harmoniously towards an extremely listenable album. Excellent stuff!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Martijn wrote
    Batt, witness his pop/fusion albums is a hell of a tunesmith.
    I like his melodies. I like his arrangements. I like his 'tone'. And this soundtrack is no exception.
    No clue what the film is about, but the album cover and the faux-Arab sounds suggest a Middle East setting.
    Anyway, it all works exceedingly pleasantly and harmoniously towards an extremely listenable album. Excellent stuff!

Just heard the theme on Spotify (it's the only thing). How bizarre! dizzy It first sounds a little cringy, but well, it's catchy! biggrin
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn said:

Ah. SINO.
    (Scores In Name Only).

wink

Mostly true wink

There are actually quite a few score tracks from Isaac Hayes ( and no, not just the obvious one ), Herbie Hancock, War. The compilation also includes the original theme to ENTER THE DRAGON ( okay so far...just ) but it also includes BULLIT, Superbad? Yes! Blaxploitation? No!

Anyway, brilliantly entertaining CD set cool

p.s. The theme to CARAVANS......what a fookin' corker punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Here's one of the tracks by Isaac Hayes, I just love it.

THE PURSUIT OF THE PIMPMOBILE

:pimp:

:bad-ass:

uhm

:superbad:

:yo-mama:

slant

:shaft:

:Cleopatra:

sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    NP : STAR WARS: THE PHANTOM GOBSHITE - John Williams

IMO the very best of the prequel scores.

It's a fact!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregt wrote
    Martijn wrote

Just heard the theme on Spotify (it's the only thing)

Probably the song, yeah?
    It's good, but I really prefer the orchestral theme. It's grand!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Bregt wrote
    Martijn wrote

Probably the song, yeah?

EVEN BETTER!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Martijn wrote
    Bregt wrote
    Martijn wrote

Probably the song, yeah?

Yes, I meant the track you linked to. The song I turned off. tongue

Timmer wrote
    EVEN BETTER!

punk

Timmer wrote
    Here's one of the tracks by Isaac Hayes, I just love it.

THE PURSUIT OF THE PIMPMOBILE

punk punk punk
    Kazoo
  7. There is nothing bizzare about the great and magnificent Mike Batt! wink

Yes, and Timmer, it's "The Phantom Menace", you know?
    Since it's the overture to a series of 6 evenly beautiful and in every regard outstanding films it deserves it's proper title. wink

I am just reading the EU novel "Darth Plagueis". Spellbound and thrilled! The more this universe gets "prequelled and sequelled" the deeper my love for it.

Don't you agree? biggrin

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    The prequels aren't bad stories it's just that they were terribly told.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Captain Future wrote

Since it's the overture to a series of 6 evenly beautiful and in every regard outstanding films it deserves it's proper title. wink

Oh, you actually said that. That's... disappointing.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2013
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Word!

George is rightly blessed for creating an iconic world but must take righteous flak for not allowing his "babies" to be made by far more competent film makers.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2013
    Volker, each of the prequels have some redeeming features and mind-impregnating images but the films, as a whole, are pretty much shit! Sorry mate, just my opinion.
  8. Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

...and acted
  9. christopher wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

...and acted

Now, that doesn't set them apart from the original trilogy at all. The acting thing I mean. In terms of story telling I am inclined to agree though "Empire" is a 120 minute logic hole, too.
  10. Timmer wrote
    Volker, each of the prequels have some redeeming features and mind-impregnating images but the films, as a whole, are pretty much shit! Sorry mate, just my opinion.

To which you are totally entitled. So no matter, pal! After all, diverting opinions are what keeps things interesting around here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2013 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    christopher wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

...and acted

Now, that doesn't set them apart from the original trilogy at all. The acting thing I mean. In terms of story telling I am inclined to agree though "Empire" is a 120 minute logic hole, too.

True, the acting in Star Wars has never been brilliant, but at least the three main characters actually had chemistry between them. At least we didn't have to be told that Han and Leia were in love - we could see it. The main thing that sets them apart from the original trilogy, apart from the extremely poor excuses for scripts, the over-reliance of green screen, the lack of chemistry between any of the characters, the confusing and boring political plot, midichlorians, and a fucking CGI Yoda, is the lack of heart. These films have no heart at all. And no main character to root for in the end (Lucas is not nearly skilled enough a writer to make us root for the bad guy, so don't give me that rubbish that Anakin is the one who the audience experiences the story through). I mean, who was the main character in The Phantom Menace!?

These films will not be remembered nearly as fondly as the originals are to this day, and there's good reason for that; they're terrible films, on just about every artistic and technical level. Of course, there are redeeming features, such as music, ship designs and some of the special effects themselves (in terms of the effort and artistry employed to create them rather than their use within the film). But that's hardly praise for the films themselves.

By all means, enjoy them. That's great! I'd love to be able to enjoy them myself. But to argue that these stand anywhere near the originals is just... well, misguided.
  11. Well, as a matter of fact I see that film mainly through the eyes of Qui Gon and, to a lesser extend, Obi Wan.