• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2013
    NP: Vikings - Trevor Morris
    Completely forgettable.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2013
    NP : CAREFUL, HE MIGHT HEAR YOU - Ray Cook

Stunningly gorgeous score, truly sublime love I'm not sure, but it may well have been Franz_Conrad who turned me on to this score!?

Ray Cook only scored two films before dying at the appallingly young age of 53 in 1989.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2013 edited
    NP : THE EARLY YEARS - John Barry

36 tracks from the early career of John Barry, only 12 of which are written or co-written by Barry, the rest being his arrangements and backing for various pop artists of the late 50's - early 60's. The main lure of this album for me is his 4 cracking 'Mood' tracks, Moods 1, 2, 3 & 4 which he wrote for the Chappell music library and were very difficult to get hold of before this release.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. NP: Frozen Planet - George Fenton (Silva, 2013)

Man, this is great music! Thanks, Steven, for recommending this!

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. "Oldest Living confederate Widow Tells All" (mini series)
    By: Mark Snow

About 45 minutes from Milan Records. Strings, woodwinds, piano mainly, and some other stuff.

Nothing's really grabbing me, though there are some breif moments of interest. The two harmonica pieces, one a solo, grate on my nerves.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  3. ON THE BEACH - Christopher Gordon.

It's been so long since I've played this that I can't recall a single thing about it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2013
    christopher wrote
    ON THE BEACH - Christopher Gordon.

It's been so long since I've played this that I can't recall a single thing about it!

The themes have never left my head ever since I first heard it. In fact, the same goes for most of Christopher's Gordon's themes. There is something truly special about this composer... and he seems like a really nice chap too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    On The Beach is one of THE great new millennium scores. FACT!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Scribe wrote
    Steven wrote
    Godzilla David Arnold/Nicholas Dodd

Definitely one of my favourites. Not quite a top 10, but certainly a top 20. Pretty much anything this team came up with in the 90s features very high on my favourites "list" (there is no list really, just a bunch of scores I'd take with me beyond the grave if I could!)

But is it proper? Or have you duly surrendered that opinion? I MUST KNOWS.
    Steven wrote
    Yes! Interesting side not, Pacific Rim is actually a very good remake of Godzilla. It stays very faithful to its source material. But it isn't as good as Emmerich's film.

I HATE YOUR OPINION! WANNA FIGHT???!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Scribe wrote
    NP: Vikings - Trevor Morris
    Completely forgettable.

Sadly. I was expecting so much.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    On The Beach is one of THE great new millennium scores. FACT!

-Erik-

yeah
  4. "Dante's Peak" (2CD boot)
    By: John Frizzell, with some cues and the main theme by James Newton Howard

I'm sure it serviced the movie just fine, and while there's nothing particularly wrong with it, it's just bland, boring, and so far there's not a single cue I feel I could take away from this score and enjoy. I'm 17 tracks into CD1 and the theme has already escaped me. Doing other things online has proved to be more interesting.

I've enjoyed some of Frizzell's smaller scores ("Office Space", two dozen episodes of "King of the Hill"), and his smaller action score from the "Enterprise" episode "Proving Ground", but I just don't think he pulls off the big action movie score well enough.

J.N.H. was originally going to score the movie but there was a conflict, so he provided some cues and theme for Frizzell to work with.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  5. I thought his work on GODS AND GENERALS was excellent. He did a wonderful job on that score. Haven't heard DANTE'S PEAK.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I think JNH's theme for Dante's Peak is excellent, and very fitting for imagery in the film (which is a guilty pleasure of mine).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2013 edited
    Steven wrote
    I think JNH's theme for Dante's Peak is excellent, and very fitting for imagery in the film (which is a guilty pleasure of mine).

It's a hilariously dafty film, a guilty pleasure of mine too.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2013 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

oops! Wrong one. I was thinking of VOLCANO, Dante's Peak is a Citizen Kane by comparison biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    christopher wrote
    TITUS - Elliot Goldenthal

I really don't like this score. The jumping from one style to another just really grates. I'm sure it was perfect for the crazy film, but as a listening experience for someone who hasn't seen the film and has no desire to, it's kind of awful.

With the exception, that is, of the fantastic finale track. Holy smokes, that's good stuff.

I feel the same. But I have actually seen this depressing and weird film and I found the music just as grating in it as on album. "Victorious Titus" and especially the "Finale" are awesome pieces though.

Peter smile
  6. [b]Titus[b/] is great. Film and music.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  7. Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

oops! Wrong one. I was thinking of VOLCANO, Dante's Peak is a Citizen Kane by comparison biggrin

Volcano is a bloody awful movie with some of the worst Hollywood science I've ever seen, but as you say, it's got a certain daft charm to it - and a really entertaining score by Silvestri. smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2013
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

Volcano is a bloody awful movie with some of the worst Hollywood science I've ever seen, but as you say, it's got a certain daft charm to it - and a really entertaining score by Silvestri. smile

Yes, a fine score by Silvestri to a superbly dafty movie.
  8. My most recent aquisition:

NP: Heaven & Earth (Geffen, 1993) - Kitaro

This is beautyful!

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    christopher wrote
    MARY SHELLY'S FRANKENSTEIN - Patrick Doyle

It's been a long time since I've played this. The love theme is one of Doyle's best ("The Wedding Night" is rapturously beautiful), but the track that really blew me away was "Creation". I had totally forgotten about that track, but it is fantastic!

Patrick Doyle was in Ghent years ago and his concert was great. There was an awesome performance of Creation. A true brass fest.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    I started listening to The Amazing Spiderman and ended up in an amazing Horner playlist. Avatar, A Beautiful Mind and now Apollo 13.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: The Peacemaker - Hans Zimmer

This score is excellent in most respect. It's densely orchestrated and highly thematic and motivic. Action cues are scored with a high level of brass/woodwind content, rarely losing coherency. And the two very long action cues are worth every minute. The ethnic cues are nice and well-done. One of Zimmer's all time best score. A top 5 entrance for me.
  9. Are you listening to the official release or the bootleg? I can't stand the official since i know the bootleg, to be honest.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Are you listening to the official release or the bootleg? I can't stand the official since i know the bootleg, to be honest.

I'm listening to the Bootleg most of the time. I hope that someone will release an official expanded release like the Broken Arrow one. The only problem I have with the official (truncated version) is that it's too short. I would have loved to have the longer Truck Chase cue along with a a few more for the pursuit around NYC. That would have made for a very nice full 70-80 minute album that I would be happier with.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2013 edited
    JP : THE CONQUEST OF SPACE - Howard Blake

A lovely and exuberant 15 minute orchestral work. Tom ( and a few others here ), I think it would interest you, I just listened to this on Spotify.

Press release issued at the time of the Astra satellite launch in 1988:

'The Conquest of Space' was commissioned by ASTRA, Europe's first 16-channel satellite TV station, to celebrate the launch of the Astra satellite. The music evokes the immensity of space, the excitement of the rocket launch and an expression of hope for universal peace.

The composer Howard Blake decided to adopt the formality of sonata form to reflect the global importance of the occasion, but the overture also has an underlying scenario rather in the manner of Tchaikovsky's 'Romeo and Juliet' or Mendelssohn's 'Fingal's Cave'.

The work begins with a great fanfare depicting a space rocket against a dramatic, cosmic sky. The fanfare subsides to a mysterious stillness evoking a silent night full of stars and a rocket launch pad silhouetted against the pale light of dawn. A pulse indicates time passing and the approaching countdown.

The music surges and quickens, as if scientists are assembling and preparing for the launch. The signal to commence is given and the countdown begins with its crescendo of anticipation and excitement. The first theme represents the launch of the rocket ascending at huge velocity. The rocket casts off its various stages and slows, settling into an orbit which gives it a view of Europe and the whole universe. The second theme is a 'song' played on the Ondes Martenot accompanied by three solo strings, cello and contrabass clarinet. Its eery electronic 'voice' represents a voice from outer space and yet has a feeling if humanity - like the voice of a human child.

Staccato brass chords suggest beams from the satellite being cast across the countries of Europe one after another. Gradually the whole of Europe is filled with light. The themes change and sweep and intermingle, building together into another great crescendo.

The rocket theme returns in a shortend version, then the song, but this time the full orchestra adopts it like (or actually with) a massed choir joining in an anthem. It builds to a massive finale with a great 'Chorus of the Universe' bringing the work to a thrilling conclusion.
  10. My main problem is really not enough respite and the fact that the official album loses all the narrative nuance the score has, based on its motivic material.

Toutes proportions gardées, this score is Hans Zimmer's structural and narrative equivalent of John Williams' Black Sunday for me.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I liked some of THE PEACEMAKER soundtrack....up until anything "anthemic" appears. There lies my dislike of many Zimmer scores.
  11. Timmer wrote
    I liked some of THE PEACEMAKER soundtrack....up until anything "anthemic" appears. There lies my dislike of many Zimmer scores.

Strange innit...for me it's the anthems that often provide the chief redeeming qualities of many Zimmer or RCP scores. Oh well. dizzy