• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2013
    Ah yes, Qui Gon. That memorable, fun character! tongue As for Obi Wan, the only time he shows any glimpse of a character is at the end when fighting Anakin/Vader. For most of the films, he just gets annoyed at Anakin. Yup. That definitely lives up to the friendship we were told about in the first Star Wars film. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2013 edited
    The dialogue(s), particularly between Anakin and Obi Wan is dreadful, a perfect example of Harrison Ford's famous 'George, you can write this shit but you can't say it'* comment.

*...or something along that lines.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Indeed. Clearly no one had the balls on these films to tell Lucas his scripts were giant piles of shite. The films tell us about Obi-Wan's and Anakin's supposed "friendship" through clunky dialogue, rather than showing us. The scene where Han saves Luke in the opening of Empire speaks volumes about their growing relationship. The best we get in the second prequel is a few awkwardly acted back and forths between Obi-Wan and Anakin telling us about some great battles they've been in. This was Lucas's poor attempt to convince the audience they really were friends.

This is all important stuff! biggrin
  1. Ihr habt Recht und ich hab meine Ruhe.

German proverb. Approximately:
    You are right and I have my peace. smile
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    We've been down this road about a million times before.

There are several things not working properly in the prequels (black/white characters, the gaudiness, the dialogue, the cutesy factor etc.), but I like them nonetheless. I like the mythic scope, the political shenanigans, the effects/tableaux (which are at times gobsmackingly beautiful and detailed), some of the acting and places, the music (obviously), some of the confrontations and the forward "thrust" of the narrative.

And of course the fact that it expands a fictional universe I've always been in loved with.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: COPPERHEAD (Laurent Eyquiem)

People have been raving about this score left and right, so I decided to give a listen. It's very beautiful and 'classical'.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I don't mind people enjoying, why would I! I just don't think anyone has a leg to stand on when people say these are a worthy addition to the Star Wars canon. (But I do think you're a bit weird for thinking some of the acting and narrative are actually positive aspects! shocked )
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Where? Where was the acting good!?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    I don't mind people enjoying, why would I! I just don't think anyone has a leg to stand on when people say these are a worthy addition to the Star Wars canon. (But I do think you're a bit weird for thinking some of the acting and narrative are actually positive aspects! shocked )

Acting -- well, McDiarmid is wonderful. Neeson, MacGregor, August, Lee, Jackson are all fine actors doing their best from the often lacking material they've been given. Portman is one of my favourite hotties, so she could basically just stand there and be beautiful and I would still give top mark. Lloyd and Christensen are rather disappointing casting choices.

Narrative -- well, there's never really a dull moment, IMO. Some fine action setpieces change with intimate moments. New exotic locales keep the interest up. The films end in multi-climaxes and build up well towards that.

Whether it's a "worthy" addition is a different debate altogether. I don't think they're as good as the originals, obviously (and I say that with as much distance to my own filmatic upbringing as possible), and I would have preferred them to be better all around. But they have so many enjoyable elements that it wouldn't be right to brush them off with sweeping negativity.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    McDiarmid is the most watchable of all the prequel actors, he is brilliant in fact. As for the dialogue, all the films suffered, Alec Guinness may as well say 'open a can of beans Luke' for all the conviction he puts into 'feel the force' etc
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    punk on Wipe them out. All of them.

I thought Christopher Lee was very good in Attack Of The Clones as well (and woefully underused in Revenge Of The Sith). With his presence he pretty much owned each scene he was in, reducing the level of silliness to an almost imperceptable level. Now that's impressive!

Other excellent acting I thought was by Jack Thompson (Clegg Lars) in Attack Of The Clones (what's real acting doing in a film like this?) and Terence Stamp as the much-beleaguered Chancellor Valorum.

That's pretty much it, really.
    Except I agree with Thor that Portman could just have slept through her performance and I'd still have loved her. love

Oh, and I still think Revenge Of The Sith is an excellent Star Wars film!
    I would have deeply loved to skip The Phantom Film and Attack Of The Clowns entirely back in '99 and '02 and jumped straight into this one.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Chistopher Lee.......of course face-palm-mt punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Samuel L Jackson was terrible in these movies, largely because he was miscast and badly directed by Lucas. I think he did the best he could, sure. But it still didn't help matters when the directing and writing were so bad. McDiarmid was at least slightly more memorable simply because he was an evil asshole. But even then I cringed a bit at the hammy overacting, especially when he fries purple lightsaber guy whatshisface (Samuel L Jackson).

Fuck these movies! dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    He, he.... biggrin
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote

Narrative -- well, there's never really a dull moment, IMO.

Not if you like them for their pretty colours, no.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    biggrin applause
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE GODFATHER II - Nino Rota

Sublime.

p.s. Does anyone know what was the first FILM* sequel to be titled Part II/2?

*amended to deter smart-alecs wink ( not that it'll stop the most determined )
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Henry IV Part 2 by W Shakespeare?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Good call!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Henry IV Part 2 by W Shakespeare?

Smart-ass biggrin
  2. Timmer wrote
    NP : THE GODFATHER II - Nino Rota

Sublime.

p.s. Does anyone know what was the first FILM* sequel to be titled Part II/2?

*amended to deter smart-alecs wink ( not that it'll stop the most determined )

Wasn't it actually this one? I know that the studio complained about using "Part II", but - lo and behold - it became a trend.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I think it might be 1944's Ivan The Terrible, Eisenstein's most spectacular misfire.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    That's what I was thinking too Pawel, it pre-dates The French Connection 2 by one year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Guys.
    There WERE films BEFORE 1970... rolleyes
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Guys.

shocked You're fecking kidding me!?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    I think it might be 1944's Ivan The Terrible, Eisenstein's most spectacular misfire.

I just looked this up. The strongest contender so far.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Godzilla - David Arnold

An really good disaster film score. I don't really like the "awe inspiring" melody for the creature and much prefer the "nuclear horror" original take. The action cues are excellent, as expected. The mickey-mousey stuff, not so much. The whole score feels a bit like ID4: Monster Edition, but that's a fine metric by any standard.
  3. Martijn wrote
    Guys.

I keep telling my students there were films before 1990.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ugh. Damn kids.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2013
    NP: ONLY GOD FORGIVES (Cliff Martinez)

What a beautiful, beautiful score. One of my favourites of the year so far. Martinez ALWAYS delivers.
    I am extremely serious.