• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. NP: Man of Galilee Disc 1 - Alfrd Newman (Silva, 2001)
    The usual Silva Screen suspects.

Music fom:

How to Marry a Millionaire
    The Diary of Anne Frank
    Anastasia
    The Song of Bernadette
    How the West was Won

A great album!
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. NP: Varese Sarabande 35th Anniversary Clebration Disc 1 of 4 - Various Artist

A very, very nice compiltation. I begin to see why Edmund is so fond of John Powell. wink

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2013 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Varese Sarabande 35th Anniversary Clebration Disc 1 of 4 - Various Artist

A very, very nice compiltation. I begin to see why Edmund is so fond of John Powell. wink

Volker

Me too! Powell is my second favourite composer after Morricone. He recently bumped poor Delerue down to a third place.

But I would have chosen some different tracks for the compilation. I don't get how one can have music from The Lorax without including this gorgeous theme.

Peter love
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2013
    Delerue dumped down to 3rd? .....by John Powell!??? shocked

To each their own I s'pose? rolleyes I think John Powell is an excellent composer but even then I'm not sure he breaks my top 20.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Powell couldn't make my Top 50. Not only would I put Delerue above him, I'd put Duning, Alfred Newman, and others above him.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Omg someone really likes something, better inform them about how they shouldn't like it as much! rolleyes
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2013 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Delerue dumped down to 3rd? .....by John Powell!??? shocked

To each their own I s'pose? rolleyes I think John Powell is an excellent composer but even then I'm not sure he breaks my top 20.

justin boggan wrote
    Powell couldn't make my Top 50. Not only would I put Delerue above him, I'd put Duning, Alfred Newman, and others above him.

Oh, yeah?! Well, argument 1, argument 2, argument 3, argument 4, argument 5 and argument 6.

Case closed.

Seriously though, it should be mentioned that my ranking isn't about who I think is the best composer. In such a list I wouldn't place Powell up there with giants like Morricone, Delerue, Rozsa or Goldsmith for example, at least not yet. But he gets the 2nd place among my favourite composers because his themes for some reason gets to me like no one else's. To my ears, no one else comes close to Powell when it comes to conveying pure joy and fun in music. Oh, and he's the coolest composer as well. I never cared much for percussion before Powell came along and showed everyone how it's done.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Scribe wrote
    Omg someone really likes something, better inform them about how they shouldn't like it as much! rolleyes

Hehe. I see where you're coming from, but I'd much rather want people to tell me that I have crappy taste, than remain silent about their disagreement. If we had to self-censor all disagreement about taste, this forum would become pretty dull.

I'm actually reminded of flickr. Go and find just about any photo on flickr and read the comments. They always say "Wow, great composition!", "Fantastic!", "I like this!", "Great shot!"; there's never any criticism. If maintitles ever adopts the mentality of flickr, it needs to be put down.

Peter smile
  4. Delerue was an incredible composer. The man could write fully orchestrated and absolutely gorgeous melodies at his dining table while holding a glass of wine. How many composers working in Hollywood could do that now, I wonder? I have loads of respect for Delerue, and he is one of my favorite composers. Comparing Delerue to Powell is like comparing apples and oranges, but since we're doing it, I'll say that Delerue's albums are usually less enjoyable for me than John Powell's. Delerue usually wrote a stunning theme or two and then not a whole lot else to go with it. Powell's albums are all-around better listening experiences for me, personally.

NP - THE SCARLET LETTER - John Barry.

I've been playing through my collection in alphabetical order. This is where I'm up to. This task would take some of you a very very long time. Me not so much. I still have less than 300 scores. It's been nice to revisit some scores I haven't heard in a long time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    I agree with your praise of Delerue, Christopher. He wouldn't be my third favourite composer if I didn't worship him. He was an extraordinary composer of gorgeous melodies, and I like that each track he made is self-contained, as if he was always trying to compose music that would work well as an independent listening experience. I find his albums are great listens throughout, though they can be repetitive as they don't tend to contain much else than various orchestral variations of his main themes. If I have to mention another criticism, it's that his music can be rather samey. Kinda like Portman, who has an excellent, melodic style, but who seems to compose the same score for 95% of her movies. Delerue wasn't quite at Portman's extreme though; he had a recurrent medieval sounding style for instance, plus a bunch of very french sounding scores in his early days and various other interesting departures.

Anyway, I find these days that I have to be in a Delerue mood to listen to his music, whereas with Powell I can always put him on. Powell's music is more choppy, which can be a bit frustrating, but his themes seem to affect me more emotionally than Delerue's and with a greater variety of emotions. Delerue makes me swoon, Powell makes me rock back and forth, whistle along, makes me emotional, laugh, headbang and makes me happy to be alive.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Arizona Dream - (2003) Goran Bregovic, Iggy Pop

I always loved this film and it's quirky score. Some great choire work here.

Volker

Ahhh! cheesy
    This reminds me there was a time I explored many many eastern European scores and other music. I haven't listened to those in a while.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    About John Powell: my daughter likes film music a bit too (yes!! And no, I did not indoctrinate her) and the score that got her into film music, if this trend continues, is How To Train Your Dragon. She is listening to it all the time. She even started to look for music "by the same guy" as she told me.
  5. plindboe wrote
    Anyway, I find these days that I have to be in a Delerue mood to listen to his music, whereas with Powell I can always put him on. Powell's music is more choppy, which can be a bit frustrating, but his themes seem to affect me more emotionally than Delerue's and with a greater variety of emotions. Delerue makes me swoon, Powell makes me rock back and forth, whistle along, makes me emotional, laugh, headbang and makes me happy to be alive.

Peter smile

yeahyeahyeahyeahyeahyeahyeahyeahyeah
    punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk
    beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer
    bouncebouncebounce

What he said.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Few can write beautiful, bittersweet melodies as well as Delerue could -- but by God, he couldn't write suspense music if his life depended on it.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    plindboe wrote
    I agree with your praise of Delerue, Christopher. He wouldn't be my third favourite composer if I didn't worship him. He was an extraordinary composer of gorgeous melodies, and I like that each track he made is self-contained, as if he was always trying to compose music that would work well as an independent listening experience. I find his albums are great listens throughout, though they can be repetitive as they don't tend to contain much else than various orchestral variations of his main themes. If I have to mention another criticism, it's that his music can be rather samey. Kinda like Portman, who has an excellent, melodic style, but who seems to compose the same score for 95% of her movies. Delerue wasn't quite at Portman's extreme though; he had a recurrent medieval sounding style for instance, plus a bunch of very french sounding scores in his early days and various other interesting departures.

Peter smile

STOP MAKING SUCH WELL THOUGHT OUT POINTS AND POSTS! slant

cheesy wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Scribe wrote

Oh, has this ailment happened to you recently?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    plindboe wrote

Peter smile

yeah

What he said.

biggrin wink
  6. NP: Pacific Rim - Ramin Djawadi

This arrived with the mail today. First spin. So far I like a lot what I am hearing. On par with Tyler's Iron Man 3 it seems.

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    THE DAY THE EARTH FELL SILENT

Very nicely done and such a gorgeous piece of music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    Few can write beautiful, bittersweet melodies as well as Delerue could -- but by God, he couldn't write suspense music if his life depended on it.

Quoted for truth of epic proportions.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregje wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Arizona Dream - (2003) Goran Bregovic, Iggy Pop

I always loved this film and it's quirky score. Some great choire work here.

Volker

Ahhh! cheesy
    This reminds me there was a time I explored many many eastern European scores and other music. I haven't listened to those in a while.

Oh my God! I remember that phase of yours!
    It led to discoveries of which some were a lot more palatable than others... wink

Bregje wrote
    About John Powell: my daughter likes film music a bit too (yes!! And no, I did not indoctrinate her)

Of COURSE ya did!
    Children pick up so much more from their parents than I'd ever have thought.

It's not a bad thing, mind!
    It's great to see she gets her fine taste from her mum! hug
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Star Trek: Insurrection - Jerry Goldsmith

GNP Crescendo Records recently announced that they are releasing an expanded edition of this score. I have never been a big fan of this score however I do like the new themes especially the "New Sight" theme, which is easily one of Goldsmith's greatest compositions.

Anyway, I dusted this one off today and I must say it's really enjoyable... Capricorn One and US Marshalls rips and all. And the more concert hall sounding recording doesn't bother me as much as it use to.

I'm kinda looking forward to the expanded release, which is something I would have never said yesterday.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    NP: PACIFIC RIM (Ramin Djawadi)

Working on my relationship with the neighbours with this.
    I'm sure they're loving the Pacific Rim Suite as much as I do. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Ok... so... today I thought I'd give some of my least listened to Goldsmith albums a spin starting with...

NP: Criminal Law - Jerry Goodsmith

Yikes! shocked Why wasn't this one performed with live players? Obviously Goldsmith wrote this one symphonically... strings, growling brass, woodwinds, etc. But these synths sound AWFUL. I mean, there's a some good music in there somewhere (Start Remembering) but the grating synth strings make you wanna suicide

What will I torture myself with next?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I bought the LP of Criminal Law and played it twice ( and that was back when it came out ), I've not heard it since and doubt I ever will.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I think there are some interesting ideas in the score and when Goldsmith is not trying to make his synths sound like an orchestra is when the score succeeds. But those cues or moment are few and far between.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Mom and Dad Save The World - Jerry Goldsmith

I couldn't remember a lick from this score even if I tried.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Raggedy Man - Jerry Goldsmith

Gorgeous!

-Erik-
  7. Have been trying to get through a couple of completely underwhelming superhero scores - Volume 2 of Frederik Wiedmann's music for Green Lantern: The Animated Series and Bear McCreary's The Cape.

The former is an uninteresting collection of bombast interspersed with some quieter tracks, with the bombast having had most of the bombast taken out of the recording and the latter being such an exhausting number of tracks with no real order to the tracks that makes it seem like a random shuffle of generic scoring.

I might go and stick on some tracks from Volume 1 of the Green Lantern or some Hostel III then stick on some Battlestar Galactica or Caprica.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  8. I quite enjoy The Cape, it has a cool Shirley Walker vibe to it at times, but yeah, McCreary needs to learn a thing or two about album sequencing. It's never really bad but over two and a half hours of it? It's just such a slog and I don't think I've listened to it straight through since it came out. A few cues, though..."Runaway Train" is a really good action cue, "Gregor the Great's Carnival of Fear" is like the Tetris theme orchestrated into madness and "The Greatest Circus Act That Ever Lived" is possibly the best use of the hurdy-gurdy in an action cue I've ever heard. It's probably also the only use of the hurdy-gurdy in an action cue I've ever heard...but I like it. dizzy