• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2013
    Erik Woods wrote

The only time it would have have worked was Superman's unveiling and first flight. That scene was such a let down (I blame Snyder for that) that Williams could have made something special out of it. Also, the final scene would have been great with Superman's theme in full... but Zimmer did a really good job with his own music there.

The rest of the movie was such a humourless downer that a positive, patriotic, heroic, fun traditional theme wouldn't have really fit anywhere. But a dark, War of the World's like, fully symphonic score would have worked in the film but what would have been the point. You could barely hear the Zimmer's score as it battled with the over blown sound effects.

-Erik-

I felt that the first/second flight had pacing issues, and could have been less rushed, since the whole sequence felt more perfunctory than required viewing. The final Superman/Zod battle/struggle was done very nicely indeed, with a sense of scope that I was really looking for.

I do agree that a War of the World type score, more along the line of my favorite Shearmur score, Reign of Fire(!!!), would have worked really well, especially in the action sequences. It's really the major action sequences where the score was so buried, which probably necessitated all of percussions. But Zimmer should really tone done the synth brass and bring up those excellent brass sections that he recorded early on.

In the other moments, I found that Zimmer's score worked really well. The whole Krypton section, excellent. Smallville, superbly restrained. The thematics were there, but could have used more finessing with the SFX department to really bring it out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2013
    lp wrote
    Steven wrote
    Come to think of it, the ET theme would have sounded out of place in War of the Worlds! What a rubbish theme that is.

Ummm, FYI, I wasn't saying that JW theme is rubbish. You're welcome to think so. Just don't attribute that thinking to someone else, thank you. wink

Oooh...
  1. Beautiful Hollywood - Erich Kunzel & Cincinnaty Pops (1997)

One of the less talked about albums of the maestro, but a great listening experiance anyway!

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2013 edited
    NP: The Lone Ranger - Hans Zimmer

Just started with the first track, and I'm feeling a bit of Sherlock Holmes, with some classic Zimmer stylings

As I progress, the feeling remain. It does harken back to that Rango sound, which is a good thing. The overall sound is clearly very dry, organic, quirky, bombastic, and definitively orchestral. Both "Absurdity" and "The Railroad Waits For No One" and "For God And Country" certainly encompasses all of this traits. There's a slight Ennio Morricone ostinato within those thing too. So far, very enjoyable but... I'm missing something here.

"Silver" seems to be the melodic piece for Tonto. It sounds good and evoke a sense of pain and tragedy for the character. Not bad, Hans.

The penultimate track "Finale" has starts out with the William Tell Overture, interpolates on the various elements, and weaves in the various pieces from the score.. It's a big arrangement, really owning the march, and really make it a part of the score. It really feels like a big overture to the whole score, and really make me a bit sad that the album doesn't feature more of it. I guess it makes sense, given that the movie is an origin story afterall.

But then, "Home" is almost an antithesis of the whole score. It's completely orchestral, with a very restraint Americana feel (not like Copland), complete with woodwind(!) and a bit of a choir(?). It's an odd ending to the album.

The whole album feels incomplete, like a demo album of all the ideas available in the score. It's a 40 minute teaser, of sort. You can hear some connective tissues between them, but not much else to tell a full story. For a movie that's 2.5 hours long, I think there's a lot of missing material here that could have made this album really well rounded.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2013
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Les Miserables - Basil Boledouris

Wow, this is great film music. Thanks, Martijn and Timmer, for recommending this one.

Stylistically this isn't that far from the musical. (No singin of course) Poledouris was ever so boldly thematic and gorgeously melodic! A great listening experiance.

Volker

Sometimes Martijn and I will find opinionated fault with each others taste but when we both agree on something you bedder believe that we're 100% on the money. cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2013
    Martijn wrote
    Funk On Film - various artists, originals as well as interpretations.
    Serious highlight: Jimmy "The Cat" Smith doing Mission Impossible.
    shocked
    Daaaaaaaamn!
    lick

punk TOP DOLLAR punk

Damn but I wish I could get you into Glastonbury with me, you'd love it and we'd have a serious hoot.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2013 edited
    After a week at Glastonbury Festival I'm in serious need of film music......orchestral film music.

NP : THE FINAL CONFLICT - Jerry Goldsmith

On a strictly fact based best scores in the world film music poll this score was placed 509,666 places above Hans Zimmer's Man of Steel score
    • CommentAuthorLars
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2013
    lp wrote
    NP: The Lone Ranger - Hans Zimmer

Just started with the first track, and I'm feeling a bit of Sherlock Holmes, with some classic Zimmer stylings

As I progress, the feeling remain. It does harken back to that Rango sound, which is a good thing. The overall sound is clearly very dry, organic, quirky, bombastic, and definitively orchestral. Both "Absurdity" and "The Railroad Waits For No One" and "For God And Country" certainly encompasses all of this traits. There's a slight Ennio Morricone ostinato within those thing too. So far, very enjoyable but... I'm missing something here.

"Silver" seems to be the melodic piece for Tonto. It sounds good and evoke a sense of pain and tragedy for the character. Not bad, Hans.

The penultimate track "Finale" has starts out with the William Tell Overture, interpolates on the various elements, and weaves in the various pieces from the score.. It's a big arrangement, really owning the march, and really make it a part of the score. It really feels like a big overture to the whole score, and really make me a bit sad that the album doesn't feature more of it. I guess it makes sense, given that the movie is an origin story afterall.

But then, "Home" is almost an antithesis of the whole score. It's completely orchestral, with a very restraint Americana feel (not like Copland), complete with woodwind(!) and a bit of a choir(?). It's an odd ending to the album.

The whole album feels incomplete, like a demo album of all the ideas available in the score. It's a 40 minute teaser, of sort. You can hear some connective tissues between them, but not much else to tell a full story. For a movie that's 2.5 hours long, I think there's a lot of missing material here that could have made this album really well rounded.

hopefully the intrada release will have more music and hopefully it won't missing stuff from the digital release.
  2. The Tudors: Season 3 - Trevor Morris

This arrived with the mail today. Almost as good as its sequel!

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  3. American Beauty - Thomas Newman

Newman had been writing great film music for about 15 years up to this point, but I think it was this score that made him finally break out. For good reason too, because it still holds up today.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2013
    Jaws- John Williams

What else? I've never been convinced this is a great score as a listening experience but damn, it works effortlessly in the film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Josh B wrote
    Jaws- John Williams

What else? I've never been convinced this is a great score as a listening experience but damn, it works effortlessly in the film.

The original MCA album is a great listening experience. The expanded ones -- not so much.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Josh B wrote
    Jaws- John Williams

The original MCA album is a great listening experience. The expanded ones -- not so much.

yeah
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: A SIMPLE PLAN (Danny Elfman)

Underrated score. Yes, there are Thomas Newman influences, but mostly it sounds like 90s Elfman.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Most funny Thomas Newman influence I've heard recently... I checked out Brian Tyler's score to the fifth movie in the Final Destination series... You have this not-so-original but serviceable, sometimes quite exciting, horror score and then suddenly you hit a track with a detuned banjo (!), which leads to...

Yeah, great, American Beauty in a horror score biggrin Actually there is a minor piano theme in an earlier track which is also an American Beauty rip-off.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2013 edited
    THE LONE RANGER "Finale"

shocked punk

Easily one of the most entertaining film music cues of the year!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  5. Looking forward to that 1-2 star Clemmensen review, just because it's Hans Zimmer, right? biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    There is no way this should get anything lower than 3 stars. The "Finale" alone is worth a 3 star rating. Verbinski seems to bring the best out of his composers. MOUSE HUNT is easily one of Silvestri's best score and AT WORLD'S END was arguably Zimmer last great score.

Verbinski's THE LONE RANGER is letting us see a side of Zimmer that we haven't seen or heard of in a long, long time. But then again, there's a debate as to how much of this is Zimmer or his team. Honestly, I don't give a f__k. If it takes 10 composers to write a good film score that's all I care about and THE LONE RANGER is good and the most fun I've had with a Zimmer score since AT WORLD'S END.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I've had a listen to some tracks from THE LONE RANGER on YT, I really like it, loved "Finale" though I can imagine some purists pulling teeth over the arrangement of Rossini's William Tell Overture biggrin wink , my favourite track is the Morricone heavy ( or light? ) 'ABSURDITY', well done Hans, I may well be buying my first Zimmer score since Inception.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    though I can imagine some purists pulling teeth over the arrangement of Rossini's William Tell Overture biggrin wink

Well, as the William Tell Overture IS the official theme from TV's Lone Ranger (and before that of the radio one!), I can't really see how they would complain!

Didn't get the score yet, but looking forward to hearing it at some time in the near future!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    though I can imagine some purists pulling teeth over the arrangement of Rossini's William Tell Overture biggrin wink

Well, as the William Tell Overture IS the official theme from TV's Lone Ranger (and before that of the radio one!), I can't really see how they would complain!

Didn't get the score yet, but looking forward to hearing it at some time in the near future!

Yes I know that, it was also retained for the woeful 1981 film version but as I remember the arrangement of the overture wasn't messed with in any of those earlier incarnations, that is what I'm on about wink

I welcome this "new" version.
  6. According to an interview with Verbinski Hans seemed to be very wary about using the overture, though he caved in, but said they won't (the arrangement seems to be by Geoff Zanelli) get to work with the overture as long as they don't have the score's thematic material covered.

Indeed, what seems to be the Tonto theme (first presented in Silver) gets a lot of play in this cue, a very welcome move. What I also like is that that bit of the theme used in Finale is a play on the old Western Indian cliches (just listen how the notes progress, ironically, a lot of my friends attribute it as a "weirdly Asian" sound).
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    the arrangement of the overture wasn't messed with in any of those earlier incarnations, that is what I'm on about wink

Aaaaaaaaaah!!!! Me see, kimosabe!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : MIDNIGHT EXPRESS - Giorgio Moroder

A well deserved Oscar winning score.

devil
  7. Ramin Djawadi - Pacific Rim

Not half as bad as I feared. With all the backlash going against Ramin, this is probably his best work since Medal of Honor. It still sounds sometimes dodgy in the arrangements (sometimes he seems to be torn between a more orchestral work and keeping with the rock soundscape he chose, which leads to him not going anywhere, really), but I must say that I kind of dig his harmonic language, which is more complex than his mentor's for sure.

And if anyone's interested, yes, Ramin Djawadi has formal musical education.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I like some of Djawadi's stuff, particularly some of his Game of Thrones work.

NP : THE VALLEY OF GWANGI - Jerome Moross

cowboy dino <-- slant
  8. It's a western with dinosaurs?!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    It's a western with dinosaurs?!

You've obviously never seen it? Yes. Cowboys with Ray Harryhausen magic, well worth a watch and Moross score is very much in his Big Country vein.

CAPTURE OF GWANGI

It's a suite played by the Prague boys and girls, unfortunately there is no original release.
  9. PawelStroinski wrote
    Looking forward to that 1-2 star Clemmensen review, just because it's Hans Zimmer, right? biggrin

You still read Clemmensen?
  10. PawelStroinski wrote
    Most funny Thomas Newman influence I've heard recently... I checked out Brian Tyler's score to the fifth movie in the Final Destination series... You have this not-so-original but serviceable, sometimes quite exciting, horror score and then suddenly you hit a track with a detuned banjo (!), which leads to...

Yeah, great, American Beauty in a horror score biggrin Actually there is a minor piano theme in an earlier track which is also an American Beauty rip-off.

Like I said, That score introduced Newman to the world.