• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Steven wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Unlike Raiders...I'm looking at you, "The Well of the Souls"...

Feel free to never come back any time now!

Come on, even you have to admit that cue isn't the greatest.

What's wrong with that cue? uhm

Nothing's wrong with it...it's an effective suspense cue, sure. But a lot of it is just a collection of not particularly enjoyable rattling and shrieking from different corners of the orchestra. I've never been a fan of those high-pitched clarinet bits that represent the snakes, either. ON ALBUM this isn't a track I enjoy. Luckily I can just press skip and listen to "The Flying Wing" and "Desert Chase" instead. punk

Now if I REALLY wanted to stir the pot I'd say how I'm not the biggest fan of "The Basket Game" either...but I don't think I dare. freezing
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2013
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Luckily I can just press skip and listen to "The Flying Wing" and "Desert Chase" instead. punk

"Airplane Fight" Get it right! angry

Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Now if I REALLY wanted to stir the pot I'd say how I'm not the biggest fan of "The Basket Game" either...but I don't think I dare. freezing

Go listen to Andrew Lockington and leave the rest of us alone!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I can't say I have a problem with any part of Raiders! For me, it's perfect. Both the film and the score. True art.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Although it was recently pointed out to me (in a recent episode of Big Bang Theory no less) that, ultimately, Indiana Jones plays no real part to the plot. biggrin (I'd never noticed it before! shame )
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    He does play an important role in the plot. Without him they don't track down Marion in Nepal.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Luckily I can just press skip and listen to "The Flying Wing" and "Desert Chase" instead. punk

"Airplane Fight" Get it right! angry

It's "The Flying Wing" on the 2008 set...

Erik Woods wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

Go listen to Andrew Lockington and leave the rest of us alone!

biggrin

I would, but even I have to admit that he hasn't written a score anywhere near the level of Raiders. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

And that track listing would be wrong. That set needs to be stricken from the record! What an embarrassment! The DCC version of Raiders should be the only way to go mainly because it's one of the very best produced soundtracks of all time! FACT!

-Erik-
  3. Erik Woods wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

And that track listing would be wrong. That set needs to be stricken from the record! What an embarrassment! The DCC version of Raiders should be the only way to go mainly because it's one of the very best produced soundtracks of all time! FACT!

-Erik-

If only because of the stupid truncated "Desert Chase," I agree with you. shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Oh, there's more crappy edits as well. Just a terribly produced box set overall.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2013
    NP : Escape Plan - Alex Heffes

First listen ...
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
  4. Let us know how that one turns out. Heffes' Emperor earlier this year was a pleasant surprise and opened my eyes to this composer. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    If you like Heffes' music then you should really check out The Last King of Scotland. That's his best score, IMO.

-Erik-
  5. I thought ESCAPE PLAN was ok. Well composed, but not terribly interesting. I've just added THE EMPORER to my collection, but I haven't listened to it yet.
  6. I always thought the 2008 Concorde Indy set was fantastic. I hold it in as high regards as the Arrista/Fox Star Wars box on which the Indy box probably was modeled. Surely the presentation of "Last Crusade" - my personal favourite - is vastly superior to the original release. Also "Temple" was only available as an insanely expensive Japan edition at the time. The Box set filled a sourly felt vacancy there.
    Yet I also own the 1995 Raiders CD by Silva if only for the liner notes and some nostalgia.

confused slant Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  7. Captain Future wrote
    I always thought the 2008 Concorde Indy set was fantastic. I hold it in as high regards as the Arrista/Fox Star Wars box on which the Indy box probably was modeled. Surely the presentation of "Last Crusade" - my personal favourite - is vastly superior to the original release. Also "Temple" was only available as an insanely expensive Japan edition at the time. The Box set filled a sourly felt vacancy there.
    Yet I also own the 1995 Raiders CD by Silva if only for the liner notes and some nostalgia.

confused slant Volker

It was definitely a useful thing for me to purchase in my film-score-fan infancy to get my hands on a very important series. But the presentation of Raiders does indeed leave much to be desired, especially the 30-45 seconds or so that are cut out of "The Desert Chase" for NO apparent reason. I still think it's the best set to get if you haven't heard any of the scores and are looking to set out on your adventure, though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Let us know how that one turns out. Heffes' Emperor earlier this year was a pleasant surprise and opened my eyes to this composer. smile

Like Christopher said , it was ok but nothing special at first glance ...
    Gonna give it a second listen though , it was kinda late last night when I played it so I could've been half asleep ... biggrin I haven't heard Emperor yet , so I'll check that one out asap ... wink
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2013 edited
    NP : SPACE PARTY MUSIC: WAY OUT SOUNDS FOR YOUR SPACE PARTY - Various Artists

Groovy man! chicken

A compilation mostly made of artists I've never heard of before but it does contain some selections from Russell Garcia's Fantastica album, Louis & Bebe Barron's Forbidden Planet, two tracks from Herrmann's The Day The Earth Stood Still and even Dudley Simpson's theme to The Tomorrow People.

I'm really "digging" this cheesy If anyone else wants to hear it, it's on Spotify.

Hey BREGT wave Quite a few of these tracks are suitable for those mondo Lounge albums, I think you'll like this.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  8. Better save than sorry, right? cheesy

V.
  9. NP: Raiders of the Lost Ark (1980) - John Williams
    The Silva edition of 1995.

This is certainly a great presentation of the score. Yet I believe I would have to compare this version track for track with the 2008 Concorde version in terms of sound and editing to really form an opinion.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2013 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    I always thought the 2008 Concorde Indy set was fantastic. I hold it in as high regards as the Arrista/Fox Star Wars box on which the Indy box probably was modeled.

There no comparision. Again, the Arista Star Wars set is one of the very best produced soundtrack box sets of all time. Great presentation, brilliant liner notes, excellent sound, etc. The Indy set was a major disappointment from the production to the miniscule liner notes, the puzzling exclusions of cues and puzzling inclusions of albums edits and bizarre sequencing. Now, I'm more than happy to have the music but the Indiana Jones scores (even the fourth one) deserves so much more than what it got. Laurent Bouzereau is a terrible album producer.

Captain Future wrote

And superior sound and editing. The DCC version of Raiders is the best presentation.

-Erik-
  10. Erik Woods wrote

And superior sound and editing. The DCC version of Raiders is the best presentation.

-Erik-

I beg to differ: The 2008 version has a much fuller and more nuanced sound.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    The 2008 release sounds compressed to me with some unnecessary tinkering with volume levels. The original DCC album is far closer to Tomlinson's original dynamic recording as Steve Hoffman really didn't too much to the original two-track Abbey Road mixes on the DCC release. The DCC album is also highly regarded in the audiofile community.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Gravity - Steven Price

I seem to be alone in loving this just as much away from the film as in it.
  11. Southall wrote
    Gravity - Steven Price

The bit where I enjoyed the use of the score in the film most was how Price changed the properties of the score when the POV of the camera moved from outside the helmet to inside the helmet (and vise versa).

And, although the last couple of cues are the highlight of the score they were a bit jarring for me when I heard them in the film itself: the sudden emotional content of the music - though I understand why it was such - stuck out a bit after what had gone before. (One thing about those cues was that it did signal that the film was coming to an end.)
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  12. Listening to samples from a recent Quartet Records score:
    http://www.quartetrecords.com/zipi-y-zape.html

This composer is ripe for a big fantasy film. Hell, even a Potter film.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  13. justin boggan wrote
    Hell, even a Potter film.

Too bad they're fresh out of those.

Oh wait, crap, I forgot about the Fantastic Beasts thingie. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2013 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    He does play an important role in the plot. Without him they don't track down Marion in Nepal.

-Erik-

Surely they would have gotten to Marion at some point anyway since they knew she had the medallion? Indiana Jones just made it easier for them (as I seem to recall). But even then, he still plays a very insignificant role in the ultimate plot. Which is not to say his part is insignificant in the film, but purely in terms of plot logic.

Not that it's a criticism. The film is still magnificent regardless of any logical problems or plot holes - they just don't matter. I just find it amusing that this happens to be the case!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2013
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Southall wrote
    Gravity - Steven Price

The bit where I enjoyed the use of the score in the film most was how Price changed the properties of the score when the POV of the camera moved from outside the helmet to inside the helmet (and vise versa).

And, although the last couple of cues are the highlight of the score they were a bit jarring for me when I heard them in the film itself: the sudden emotional content of the music - though I understand why it was such - stuck out a bit after what had gone before. (One thing about those cues was that it did signal that the film was coming to an end.)

Once again, I had a completely different experience. The strong emotional impact of that cue was so strong exactly BECAUSE of the relative sobriety of what had gone before -- the final katharsis after nailbiting suspense. It's really Price's score that gives the film its heart and aural "threedimensionality" as well, since there is very little sound otherwise.
    I am extremely serious.
  14. NP: Kong Solomon's Mines (1985) - Jerry Goldsmith

After Raiders yesterday this is a nice follow up. Even though it is easy to imagine what was the temp track here*, Goldsmith managed to make this his own. I fun orchestral romb. THe theme is brilliant.

Volker

* I seem to remember that it is a documented fact that "Raiders" was indeed temp-tracked.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2013 edited
    A marvellous score for the epic film about an ape wearing the golden ring of Sheba!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn