• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. It's interesting because I see a lot of behind the scenes stuff about the production of films and the ones that give me the best idea of how a big blockbuster gets made are the 'making of' featurettes of the Transformers films. They give a totally honest account of all the movie magic and hassles that are a part of making such a film. I've always loved how Michael Bay would be completely himself on these making of's and be a total dick towards his actors and crew, but the man definitely knows his craft. He is on top of every facet of the production. And there's no sugar-coating going on like praising every member of the cast (the Mission: Impossible featurettes for instance). Bay may not be Hitchcock or Spielberg or any of the other great directors but to direct films on such a scale must be mind-boggling and a huge juggling act and he totally pulls it off. It's for that reason that I happen to like most of his films for what they are.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. DreamTheater wrote
    to direct films on such a scale must be mind-boggling and a huge juggling act

Yes, it must.

DreamTheater wrote
    and he totally pulls it off.

No, he doesn't.
  3. Well yes he does, in his own distinct way... he has a trademark style of visualizing and shooting a scene. And using quick cuts to make the story move faster. If it's not your style, that doesn't mean he doesn't reach others that are into that.

Like I said, he ain't no Tarantino, but then old Quentin must have haters too. wink
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. I don't think he and Tarantino are comparable. The kinds of movies they're trying to make are totally different. I think James Cameron is a more apt point of comparison, and not one that favors Bay even a little bit.
  5. Well yeah but to be fair Bay's producer on Transformers is the big man himself, Mr. Jaws. So Mike must be doing something right. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2016 edited
    Yeah, he's bringing in shitloads of cash.
  6. Spielberg executive produces about 40% of all film and TV made these days...your point?
  7. Industrial mass production. Cheaper by the dozen. smile
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2016
    all about money
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2016
    His goal is to out produce Apple
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2016
    Bay is fantastic -- one of our foremost auteurs of today.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. You can say what you want about the (non-)quality of his films and whether they're just quick money-grabs or not, but at least he has a style that makes him stand out of the pack. And his visual language has always spoken to me, ever since Bad Boys.
  9. What's worse - having no style or having a style that actively irritates? I think that's a tricky aesthetic debate and I'm not sure which side of the fence I would fall on.

But I do know that there are only one-and-a-half Michael Bay movies I can even watch: The Rock being one, and Armageddon being the half, because while that one still does work as a guilty pleasure for me, it is overwhelmingly, barbarically stupid. The rest I just can't stand, including all of the Transformers films. Admittedly I have not seen Bad Boys or its sequel, though. Or Pain and Gain. Or the new one about Benghazi. I don't tend to actively seek out work by someone I don't like (except for in film music, the better to bitch about it on these here forums). tongue

And you know, Bay's style would not bother me that much (still, all that quick-cutting and editing does his impressive VFX no favors at all) if he was able to muster up even the most rudimentary of (likable) characters to underpin everything. That's the key difference between a movie like Transformers and a movie like Independence Day for me. Not that I'm saying the latter is any sort of deep psychological study - far from it, oh, very very far indeed - but you actually enjoy spending time with those characters. Now cue Thor for saying "that's not what Bay is about"... rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2016
    Just this.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  10. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    What's worse - having no style or having a style that actively irritates? I think that's a tricky aesthetic debate and I'm not sure which side of the fence I would fall on.

But I do know that there are only one-and-a-half Michael Bay movies I can even watch: The Rock being one, and Armageddon being the half, because while that one still does work as a guilty pleasure for me, it is overwhelmingly, barbarically stupid. The rest I just can't stand, including all of the Transformers films. Admittedly I have not seen Bad Boys or its sequel, though. Or Pain and Gain. Or the new one about Benghazi. I don't tend to actively seek out work by someone I don't like (except for in film music, the better to bitch about it on these here forums). tongue

And you know, Bay's style would not bother me that much (still, all that quick-cutting and editing does his impressive VFX no favors at all) if he was able to muster up even the most rudimentary of (likable) characters to underpin everything. That's the key difference between a movie like Transformers and a movie like Independence Day for me. Not that I'm saying the latter is any sort of deep psychological study - far from it, oh, very very far indeed - but you actually enjoy spending time with those characters. Now cue Thor for saying "that's not what Bay is about"... rolleyes

The first Bad Boys film is good. Can't say that about the latter (yeah, because a car chase featuring dead bodies stolen from the morgue falling out of one of the cars is HEEEE-larious), there is one great long take shootout where the camera literally circles around all the characters, but except that... well, yeah.

Armageddon is quite decent. The Rock is his best film and I think that's even self-admitted by Bay (the only time where actual storytelling concerned him more than being visually great).

The problem with Bay (for Thor that's his biggest advantage I think) is that like a few of the directors coming out of commercial (with Tony Scott being more laid-back in these terms, because there IS a storytelling concern in his work, the problem is that his taste for scripts was even worse than his brother's sometimes), he's all about the particular moment. There is no emotional arc to his scenes. It's all making the most of a single shot. And yes, it's not just in the camera movement, it's even more all about the framing (a shot that stood out of me is right before the Transformers are sent into space, with Turturro in the frame) that brings the most pathos possible visually not always when the script calls for it.

I agree with the quick cutting. I have the same problem with John Woo, even in his Hong Kong mode (where his stories were far more compelling than whatever he got from Hollywood, with the possible exception of Face/Off): It's fantastic camera work (in Bay, remember that scene with one of the robots flying over a terrified Megan Fox in the frame?!), but if it took one-two seconds more, the whole choreography (in Woo a musical number basically, same with Bay who is told to be inspired by... West Side Story) AND the ballet-like camera work would stand out. It just ends a fraction too early for the beauty to sink in.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  11. Pain and Gain is good, more laid-back and actually a bit of a Michael Bay self-parody (when the flag appears in one or two shots it's actually quite subversive in its meaning). The characters aren't likable at all. Neither of them happens to have a brain, either. But in case of THAT film, it's actually the point.
  12. That's actually the one Bay flick that I felt didn't work at all. Maybe I should revisit it to see if I can spot the self-parody, because I certainly missed it. shame

And about Bad Boys: seeing it's his first action feature, it was also the most restrained. Lawrence and Smith made the comedy work, and to an extent in the sequel too if one isn't too repulsed by all the tasteless humor (which I'm not).
  13. Edmund Meinerts wrote

Edmund, i agree with all of this. Personally, I think Bay film are terrible. The story-telling is poor, the dialogue juvenile at best, the direction of the actors extremely workmanlike, and the direction of the action scenes little more than tight angles and shaky camera (which I suppose saves you the trouble of choreography a genuinely thrilling action scene). Add in some really big explosions and then film every female as though she's in a lengerie shoot and that's about how I would define his style. I just get no enjoyment out of his films. They lack substance and subtlety, and they're not even fun. At least Emmerich can make his ridiculous films fun.
  14. Emmerich is a very good point of comparison. His film are dumb as a sack of hammers as well, so it's not that - but I find him entertaining where I find Bay off-putting. (Although I do draw the line at Godzilla.)
  15. My problem with the Transformers films, especially with the latter ones, is, that I sometimes just don't get what's going on.

dizzy Volker
  16. christopher wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

Edmund, i agree with all of this. Personally, I think Bay film are terrible. The story-telling is poor, the dialogue juvenile at best, the direction of the actors extremely workmanlike, and the direction of the action scenes little more than tight angles and shaky camera (which I suppose saves you the trouble of choreography a genuinely thrilling action scene). Add in some really big explosions and then film every female as though she's in a lengerie shoot and that's about how I would define his style. I just get no enjoyment out of his films. They lack substance and subtlety, and they're not even fun. At least Emmerich can make his ridiculous films fun.

That's actually one of Bay's visual problems you address here. Bay's choreography is, actually, impeccable. He just doesn't let us linger on that. But the choreography itself is fantastic. He's one of the masters of blocking movement. Again, one of the best example is the third Transformers and the whole "skydiving" sequence, which also happens to feature some of the film's longest takes.
  17. Captain Future wrote
    My problem with the Transformers films, especially with the latter ones, is, that I sometimes just doesn't get what's going on.

dizzy Volker

True that. And the way it's done doesn't make me feel that director gets it as well.

About the acting: it's not workmanlike. Bay has a history of having great actors playing awfully. Most notable example would be William Fichtner, Jon Voight and, actually, Dan Aykroyd in Pearl Harbor.

The best acting in a Bay film is The Rock. That one is interesting, it's a rare GOOD piece of action acting by Nicolas Cage!
  18. PawelStroinski wrote
    Again, one of the best example is the third Transformers and the whole "skydiving" sequence, which also happens to feature some of the film's longest takes.

This entire discussion made me watch 'Transformers: Dark of the Moon' this evening and I had a blast. punk
    Don't feel sorry for me because I'm as serious as a Vulcan scientist.
  19. DreamTheater wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Again, one of the best example is the third Transformers and the whole "skydiving" sequence, which also happens to feature some of the film's longest takes.

This entire discussion made me watch 'Transformers: Dark of the Moon' this evening and I had a blast. punk

Spock or Christian Kühn? smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2016 edited
    The Rock is one of my favourite films from the 90's and it never seems to lose anything with further viewing. Pure escapist fun, and the score is deliciously over the top but nevertheless appropriate. Both Cage and Connery were perfect for their roles and I feel Bay's direction was much much better than it is now. In fact, quite minimalist compared to his more recent outings. All his trademarks are there but in just the right amount.

I pretty much hate everything he has made since. Armageddon had it's moments but... meh.
  20. Connery is a legend. Even sleepwalking through the role he would've commanded the screen.
  21. Captain Future wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

Spock or Christian Kühn? smile

Well there are a couple funny nods to Star Trek, not to mention the voice of the Vulcan scientist himself as Sentinel Prime, is that enough of an answer? wink
  22. Funny nods? When I heard that "needs of the many" line from Sentinel, I nearly puked right there in the theatre! vomit

(And no, don't ask me what I was doing watching that movie in the theatre...in my defense, I got a free ticket)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2016 edited
    Oh c'mon that WAS funny. It makes me chuckle, especially because the first time I wasn't even aware it was Nimoy.

I just thought of something. Maybe the main reason I like Bay films is because they don't take themselves seriously. I can honestly have a good time watching them, not ashamed to say that. Guess I'm just not into the whole 'lets make dark serious movies because the earlier ones were too camp' approach that Hollywood has gone into in the last 10 years.

For sheer entertainment value I also prefer Burton & Schumacher Batman over Nolan Batman. They're ridiculously over the top but they're loads of fun.

And don't speak to me about Snyder's take on Superman. That movie can just go suck itself. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2016 edited
    DreamTheater wrote
    I like Bay films is because they don't take themselves seriously.

Bay takes himself seriously where he shouldn't, and laughs at things that aren't funny. That's one of the reasons his films are universally despised. He just doesn't understand how tell a story.

A good example of a film that doesn't take itself seriously is Guardians of the Galaxy. It takes itself seriously enough to have you care about the characters, but is self-aware enough to be silly where it needs to be.