• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2016
    He's a moron.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. I don't think that's necessarily true, Demetris. From the few interviews and behind-the-scenes stuff I've seen with him, I gathered the impression that he's actually quite a smart guy, just with an extremely underdeveloped and juvenile sense of drama (and humor).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2016 edited
    Demetris wrote
    He's a moron.

Quite the opposite. Ask yourself this question: would a moron be able to make such insanely complicated visual effects filled spectacles, with every department of production pushed to their limit. Because despite what you think about the quality of the finished product, to helm such a production and be on top of everything from set design and camera work to editing and visual effects, a moron would never be able to dedicate himself, find the motivation or even attention to detail to oversee such a mammoth work.

What Edmund says is right. Whether or not you're into his juvenile sense of drama and humor is personal taste.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. Steven wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    I like Bay films is because they don't take themselves seriously.

Bay takes himself seriously where he shouldn't, and laughs at things that aren't funny. That's one of the reasons his films are universally despised. He just doesn't understand how tell a story.

A good example of a film that doesn't take itself seriously is Guardians of the Galaxy. It takes itself seriously enough to have you care about the characters, but is self-aware enough to be silly where it needs to be.

Well this is where differ once again mate... I didn't particularly enjoy Guardians and I didn't care for the characters.

From now on, can we just agree that we disagree on pretty much everything? biggrin
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Most people say he's an absolute c*nt to work with, including one practical special effects guy I spoke with last week. However, he likes working on his films because he can always guarantee his explosions, etc will actually be seen in the final cut centre-screen, haha.
  3. DreamTheater wrote
    I didn't particularly enjoy Guardians and I didn't care for the characters.

dizzy dizzy dizzy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    He's a moron.

Yes he is. He's also a c*nt.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. Timmer wrote
    Demetris wrote
    He's a moron.

Yes he is. He's also a c*nt.

It's disturbing how people can have such an outspoken opinion on someone they've never met or had the opportunity to converse with. sad

The internet is full of opinions because everyone has an asshole.

Dirty Harry once said something resembling that. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    To quote the end of the absolutely brilliant rap parody song I linked to earlier:

Michael Bay:

"That's enough, I've heard enough crap from all of you
    Why don't I come down there and show you what a real star can do?

I swoop low with the telephoto,
    no Bruckheimer, I work solo

If there's one thing I've learned, bitch, this game is about motherfucking money
    I make that dollar, y'all, motherfucking money
    Even make Mark Wahlberg make some motherfucking money

I set up shop and got a few drops of that Got Milk money
    Rose to The Rock, now I got that socks made of silk money

I ain't got that guilt money, I don't give a fuck
    I take my checks to the bank and I sign 'em with my nuts

I give the people what they love, while the critics say I'm evil
    Got no time to read reviews, while I'm working on the sequel
    Got a gift from above, and the eyes of an eagle
    When it comes to blowing up, no director is my equal"

Sounds like a pretty fair summary to me. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  5. He blows shit up GOOD... lick

And if there's one thing I'm not opposed to it's screen-filling pyrotechnics in 5.1 surround sound. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    He's about far more than that, even. But to be honest, I'm not in the mood for YET another Bay defense here. Instead, I'll forward you to my updated list of 2016 movies with some of the top spots occupied by films I just saw in Cannes:

https://mubi.com/lists/2016-films-ranked
    I am extremely serious.
  6. And I have seen a single one of those films yet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    That list screams hipster. Did you compile it on your Mac in a Starbucks while sipping on a skinny, gluten free, ethically farmed latte?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2016 edited
    Steven wrote
    That list screams hipster. Did you compile it on your Mac in a Starbucks while sipping on a skinny, gluten free, ethically farmed latte?

Of course. tongue

I actually have a fair mix of blockbusters and 'arthouse' every year. And always more blockbusters/genre fare than my colleagues. The cineaste life isn't complete with a little bit of both.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. No that is a statement that I raise my jar to. beer
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  8. Thor wrote
    He's about far more than that, even. But to be honest, I'm not in the mood for YET another Bay defense here.

Hey, I need help. Bay Fans 4 Life !!! cheesy
  9. DreamTheater wrote
    Thor wrote
    He's about far more than that, even. But to be honest, I'm not in the mood for YET another Bay defense here.

Hey, I need help. Bay Fans 4 Life !!! cheesy

The World needs Michael Bay! punk
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2016
    CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR

More fun and better than any Michael Bay film.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    That's probably an accurate description for the most part, but I would take The Rock over the mess that is Civil War any day.

It wasn't really a sequel to Winter Soldier, it was just another continuation of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Could have been called Iron Man 4 and no one would have noticed a difference. Or Marvel: Another Sequel. Which is fine, I suppose... but when the film is torn between being a serious thriller and a goofy superhero movie, it makes for uneven viewing. It's also one of the worse offenders of Marvel's insistence on shoe-horning in characters just to set them up for more sequels. It's exhausting. Spider-Man!? We've seen enough Spider-Mans!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Marvel, schmarvel...
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2016 edited
    Steven wrote
    That's probably an accurate description for the most part, but I would take The Rock over the mess that is Civil War any day.

It wasn't really a sequel to Winter Soldier, it was just another continuation of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Could have been called Iron Man 4 and no one would have noticed a difference. Or Marvel: Another Sequel. Which is fine, I suppose... but when the film is torn between being a serious thriller and a goofy superhero movie, it makes for uneven viewing. It's also one of the worse offenders of Marvel's insistence on shoe-horning in characters just to set them up for more sequels. It's exhausting. Spider-Man!? We've seen enough Spider-Mans!

All good points, particularly the shoehorning, but I don't care, I loved it.

I'd watch it again, unlike The Rock which I will never see again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    I absolutely love The Rock but then it's about time we disagreed on something. kiss
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2016 edited
    THE ROCK is a contemporary action masterpiece, 'nuff said. It's not out on Criterion for nothing.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    Marvel, schmarvel...

Agreed.
  10. I loved 'Civil War' and I love 'The Rock'. Am I allowed to enjoy them both?! ;-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    No. You must pick a side. Which will then result in a silly and pointless fight in an airport.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2016
    Thor wrote
    THE ROCK is a contemporary action masterpiece, 'nuff said. It's not out on Criterion for nothing.

Am I supposed to be impressed?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I re-watched it last night for the first time in years, and it fared better in memory to be honest. It is entertaining, with some memorable moments thanks largely to Connery, but it's definitely a Bay movie (no pun intended). Immature, insipid, insulting. But a guilty pleasure. It definitely belongs in the bad category, but at least it's a good bad film. That much can't be said for the majority of his films. Bay is a moron, not an artist, even though he's a capable enough film technician.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    ...but I would still take this over Civil War. At least it's its own thing and doesn't have to pay lip service to a million different set ups for future movies.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    I re-watched it last night for the first time in years, and it fared better in memory to be honest. It is entertaining, with some memorable moments thanks largely to Connery, but it's definitely a Bay movie (no pun intended). Immature, insipid, insulting. But a guilty pleasure. It definitely belongs in the bad category, but at least it's a good bad film. That much can't be said for the majority of his films. Bay is a moron, not an artist, even though he's a capable enough film technician.

Read these and shut up:

https://filmschoolrejects.com/the-case- … 10fe558494

http://www.vox.com/2016/1/19/10777428/m … nse-auteur
    I am extremely serious.