• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2014
    ADRIAN JOHNSTON - Lawless Heart & Enter Achilles, from 2001 and 1996, gorgeously romantic music with a melancholic twist. Piano and orchestra, Johnston's forte.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Demetris wrote
    MICHAEL NYMAN - Ravenous

Utterly horrible.

Firstly, a good deal of it is not by Nyman, but is by Damon Albarn. And it's great! smile (Admittedly that banjo theme could drive a man to suicide, but at least they'd die for an interesting piece of music.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2014 edited
    GABRIEL YARED - Herrisson

Excellent score, like the majority of this man's work. Where is he? Damn system ate him up after the Troy fiasco.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Total Recall Jerry Goldsmith

I've always been a fan of this score, but I must admit I've never held it in such high regard as others... Until recently.

This is undoubtedly one of THE greatest action scores. It's like Action Score: The Symphony.
  2. That's my favorite Goldsmith score. punk

...but we all know what an expert on Goldsmith I am. shame
  3. Oh yes, it is. It's probably one of the MOST complex action scores in history. It may not be outwardly thematic like the Rambo trilogy is (and Goldsmith was happy to admit that), but it's insanely complex, even for the Goldsmith standard, and it's just plain exciting.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    That's my favorite Goldsmith score. punk

...but we all know what an expert on Goldsmith I am. shame

It's a massive favourite among Goldsmith fans ( of which I am one ), who knows? In a few years time and having listened to many more JG scores it may well still be your favourite Goldsmith score!? wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. In my case I think the most eye-opening reassessment was First Blood, which went from a very good score to masterpiece and all it took was a C&C presentation (sorry, Thor!)
  5. Demetris wrote
    Enough with the RC crap.

Why isn't people talking more about scores like this?

YURI POTEYENKO - Leningrad

Incredibly romantic (as in the era and style of composing) and lyrical.

or

WATARU YOKOHAMA - Soul Sacrifice

Amazing symphonic power from 2013.

Oh yeah, these are not "major releases" enough.

Because they're not written by Hans Zimmer, James Horner or any number of other popular composers.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  6. Now Stopped Playing: Captain America: The Winter Soldier - Henry Fuckman, what happened?

Okay, so after the first few cues I was wondering what all the negative press was about? The first cue was generic, but not unlistenable...and then the next couple of cues presented some pleasant, noble/heroic ambience. Forgettable, sure, but not as terrible as I'd been led to believe.

Then I heard "Fury" and "The Winter Soldier".

Oh.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

vomit slant shocked angry rolleyes vomit crazy crazy dizzy rolleyes angry slant

Played the main theme from Wreck-it Ralph in order to prevent myself from completely losing all faith in Jackman and am now letting my playlist of favorite cues run. I'll come back to the score...I never give up on a score without listening to it all the way through. But not right now...not right now. freezing
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Now Stopped Playing: Captain America: The Winter Soldier - Henry Fuckman, what happened?

Okay, so after the first few cues I was wondering what all the negative press was about? The first cue was generic, but not unlistenable...and then the next couple of cues presented some pleasant, noble/heroic ambience. Forgettable, sure, but not as terrible as I'd been led to believe.

Then I heard "Fury" and "The Winter Soldier".

Oh.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

vomit slant shocked angry rolleyes vomit crazy crazy dizzy rolleyes angry slant

Played the main theme from Wreck-it Ralph in order to prevent myself from completely losing all faith in Jackman and am now letting my playlist of favorite cues run. I'll come back to the score...I never give up on a score without listening to it all the way through. But not right now...not right now. freezing

You guys are simply way too harsh.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Not harsh enough. This is really, really bad.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I'm genuinely looking forward to hearing more comments on this score. All the negative feedback is more entertaining than the music itself.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Wait 'till Thor discovers it wink
  7. lp wrote
    You guys are simply way too harsh.

I'm not the type who's too harsh on RC scores just for the sake of it. Really. I'd say I'm probably much nicer to them as a whole than most around here. But this score is baaaaaaaaaaad.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I'm not the type who's too harsh on RC scores just for the sake of it.

I would not suggest that anyone here are harsh on RC scores 'just for the sake of it'.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  8. I didn't mean to suggest that either. I'm saying that a) I'm not that type, and b) I'm probably kinder to RC than most around here...but the two statements are essentially separate. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Timmer wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

I would not suggest that anyone here are harsh on RC scores 'just for the sake of it'.

I've been listening to it since it's available on Google Play. I think the harsh tone stemmed from the expectation that it would be close to the first movie. To me, it sounds like a modern techno conspiracy thriller score like it's supposed to be. The Hydra track is very "conspiratorial" sounding. "The Winter Soldier" track is full of harsh electronics, suggestive of the character it's modeled after. Half of it is forgettable, but I like some of it. Funny enough, this conclusion is the same as the one I had for Silvestri's score. FWIW, I really liked all of the orchestral parts that Henry Jackman wrote. It's an interesting combo of First Class and Abraham Lincoln. It's a bit of a disappointment for me, though not as bad as the comments portrayed it to be.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I think it's fair to be harsh towards a score like this. Here you have a composer who, although perhaps not a true "master" of his craft, is capable of composing orchestral film music and can probably provide a decent enough score for a variety of genres. But there's something very wrong when that same composer comes up with a score like this, to a film that should clearly receive something more memorable (and I don't care that I haven't seen the film, it's a superhero film about a guy called Captain America. Even if it's a darker, more modern take on the comic book, it still cries out for a proper musical score with at least one proper theme).

There must be a point at which we can blame the composer for these things? uhm
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    lp wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

I've been listening to it since it's available on Google Play. I think the harsh tone stemmed from the expectation that it would be close to the first movie.

Yeah, no. I knew this score was going for "modern, less traditional" so that line of thinking didn't come into play.

lp wrote
    To me, it sounds like a modern techno conspiracy thriller score like it's supposed to be.

Utterly generic.

lp wrote
    The Hydra track is very "conspiratorial" sounding.

Completely interchangeable. Unimaginative.

lp wrote
    "The Winter Soldier" track is full of harsh electronics, suggestive of the character it's modeled after.

Grasping at straws my friend.

lp wrote
    Half of it is forgettable, but I like some of it. Funny enough, this conclusion is the same as the one I had for Silvestri's score. FWIW, I really liked all of the orchestral parts that Henry Jackman wrote. It's an interesting combo of First Class and Abraham Lincoln. It's a bit of a disappointment for me, though not as bad as the comments portrayed it to be.

It's utterly forgettable. At least Silvestri's had a proper, long lined, instantly memorable theme.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Failing to be "harsh" on this would be a dereliction of duties. And I don't think it's "harsh" to say you think something's rubbish, if that's what you truly believe. Of course tastes differ and in no way would I suggest I am "right" and somehow someone who does like it is "wrong" - but I can't really believe that Henry Jackman dreamt of writing music like this when he first thought of being a film composer as a young man. I really, really want a filmmaker to have the balls to say "I know you think I hired you because I want you to write something like Hans Zimmer, but actually I just want you to be you - you have a blank page - write the kind of score that inspired you to be a film composer in the first place" or, failing that, that a composer would have the balls to say "I know you stuck a load of interchangeable Remote Control junk on the temp-track because you think that's the only kind of score audiences will accept in 2014 - but if that's really what you want, just check what scores are in your studio's archive and stick them in this movie, you'd save yourself a fortune. If on the other hand you want something truly special for your own movie that doesn't just sound like everything else, then that's what I'm here to give you."

Meanwhile, pigs might fly.
  9. I'm not harsh on them. I don't comment on them at all because I largely have stopped listening to them.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  10. I just listened to a random spy thriller scores from the '60's. I didn't have to apologize for it, make excuses for it, or say that some of it works and that I get why such-and-such was done. In other words: I didn't torture myself with today's "action music".

If I want to be in pain, I'll pay somebody to jam a spork in each of my ears.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Erik Woods wrote
    lp wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

I've been listening to it since it's available on Google Play. I think the harsh tone stemmed from the expectation that it would be close to the first movie.

Yeah, no. I knew this score was going for "modern, less traditional" so that line of thinking didn't come into play.

lp wrote
    To me, it sounds like a modern techno conspiracy thriller score like it's supposed to be.

Utterly generic.

lp wrote
    The Hydra track is very "conspiratorial" sounding.

Completely interchangeable. Unimaginative.

lp wrote
    "The Winter Soldier" track is full of harsh electronics, suggestive of the character it's modeled after.

Grasping at straws my friend.

lp wrote
    Half of it is forgettable, but I like some of it. Funny enough, this conclusion is the same as the one I had for Silvestri's score. FWIW, I really liked all of the orchestral parts that Henry Jackman wrote. It's an interesting combo of First Class and Abraham Lincoln. It's a bit of a disappointment for me, though not as bad as the comments portrayed it to be.

It's utterly forgettable. At least Silvestri's had a proper, long lined, instantly memorable theme.

-Erik-

No offense, and not to make light of your response, but you offered nothing new in your criticism of the score. I do think your points are valid, if not ironically repetitive, just like the music in question. And you have to consider this, if Silvestri would have delivered the same score if the setting of the first film wasn't in the past.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Silvestri would have probably regergitated Red 2, which is probably one of the worst scores of his career.

This shitty effort is clearly on the director and producers of the film. I can't believe that this film was an enjoyable experience for Jackman.

Lowest common denominator music was asked for and that's what we got.

-Erik-
  11. Well, I haven't heard the score yet, but I'd like to leverage something that his mentor said in one of the discussions that led you to a reassessment of the man:

Hans said that composers should be more brave and if the music is good enough, it will be preferred over temp-track. I don't know if that's the way Hans collaborates (he rarely does have temp-track, the suites are the temp-track). Two conditions must be met: The composer has to try hard enough and has to be brave enough to defend his vision in front of the producers and the directors. Granted, the business may be a bit different than Hans thinks, because he is very careful to work only with the director right now, so producers don't "stand above him" as we say in Polish when he's scoring.

In this case, if that is true, it could be assumed that Jackman, of whom I have heard that, while he is very proficient in orchestral writing, he prefers to actually write electronica whenever he can, that doing the score the way he did it, was his own decision and whatever was demanded of him, he did without trepidation.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I highly doubt that, Pawel. Now, if it was Zimmer writing this score, then yes, I'd say that Zimmer's opinion would have some leverage. This Captain Ametica score is beneath Jackman because we know that he can deliver outstanding music that doesn't sound like every other dumbed down RC/MV score we've heard over the years. If GI Joe and Captain America is the real Jackman then I'd rather hear the fake Jackman who gave us gems like X-Men, Puss in Boots and This Is The End.

-Erik-
  12. The thing about Jackman I was told by a guy who talks to everybody in RCP.