• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. NP - OUTLANDER - Bear McCreary

Kudos to whoever produced this album. It's one of the best McCreary albums I've ever heard.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2015
    christopher wrote
    NP - OUTLANDER - Bear McCreary

Kudos to whoever produced this album. It's one of the best McCreary albums I've ever heard.

Agreed. Something for McCreary to learn when he's doing his own stuff. He needs to be more economical in his presentations.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2015 edited
    NP: ZURDO (Paul van Dyk)

Gorgeous trance score to this Mexican fantasy film -- smooth and laidback, with deep beats. Wish he did more film music.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Southall wrote
    Girl with a Pearl Earring - Alexandre Desplat

A wonderful score. I remember when this and Birth came out, how wonderful it was to have a composer emerge like Desplat in an era when film music seemed to be being run into the ground by Remote Control. I'd never have believed then that he'd end up on Harry Potter and Star Wars.

When I read this post this morning I bought and "autoripped" the CD on impulse. Now playing. Mesmerizing! I was totally unaware of this score.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  3. NP: Cinderella (2015) - Patrick Doyle

This just gets better with every listen. I'm rendered speechless by awe and wonder.
  4. NP: Duel (1971) - Billy Goldenberg

Certainly no easy listening, but a highly intelligent thriller score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2015
    NP: KUNDO - AGE OF THE RAMPANT (Jo Yeung-Wook)

Some spaghetti western, some funk, some symphonic stuff -- this South Korean samurai film is all over the place. But never boring.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2015 edited
    NP: LORDS OF THE FALLEN (Knut Avenstroup Haugen)

If I ever do a film, I would use Knut as composer. Not only because he's a friend of mine, but because he's about the only Norwegian composer I know who knows how to tap into the epic scales (full orchestra and choir) that are needed for the projects I have in mind.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. NP: Kundun (Philip Glass)

A special and personal score for me. It doesn't get better than this for me.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2015
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Kundun (Philip Glass)

A special and personal score for me. It doesn't get better than this for me.

Excellent score! Arguably his best film score though I prefer his concert works over anything he's done for film.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  6. NP: Chappie - Hans Zimmer and friends

I quite like this, actually. Wasn't sure about it for the first two thirds but it picks up in the last six or seven cues with some really cool moments. Even though it's all-synthetic, I find it to have a much "cleaner", organic feel than Man of Steel or his Batman scores, which come across more as sonic mush. It all seems just a tad tongue-in-cheek as well, which is good - I like my Zimmer best when he's not taking himself seriously.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2015
    I prefer Zimmer when he DOES take himself and the subject matter seriously. But I like the other, more playful side too -- which this is a great example of.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Zimmer taking himself too seriously usually results in moody droning boredom. sleep
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2015 edited
    BEYOND RANGOON is one of my favourite scores of all time, and that's an example of 'serious' scoring.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. I guess, but that score is from a long time ago, and Zimmer has very much changed as a composer since. From Batman Begins onwards, there aren't many serious scores of his that I really like.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Okay. For me, that's where he has TRULY excelled. INTERSTELLAR was almost my favourite score last year, and since BATMAN BEGINS I've enjoyed THE DA VINCI CODE, HENRI 4, INCEPTION, in particular (of the serious scores). But of course, lots to enjoy in the more 'fun' material too, and not ALL of his serious work has been that interesting (I didn't care for 12 YEARS A SLAVE, for example).
    I am extremely serious.
  9. I wouldn't categorize The Da Vinci Code as a particularly "serious" score, necessarily - and Henri IV was by Henry Jackman (and also not that serious). Interstellar and Inception are fine for what they are but I simply don't find them all that engaging - give me a Pirates of the Caribbean score any day of the week.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Although DA VINCI (the film) has certain 'adventure' elements, I still label it in the serious category. The score even moreso. HENRI 4 was Jackman AND Zimmer, if memory serves.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    If The Da Vinci Code (movie/score) was meant to be taken seriously then that just makes its audacious awfulness all the more impressive. Great album though!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I don't get why some people are so keen on dissing that film. I never read the book, but I absolutely loved the film -- a type of mystery I can be engrossed in.
    I am extremely serious.
  10. NP: A.I. - Artificial Intelligence (2001) - bow John Williams

As intelligent as it is emotionally touching.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I would not count on anything in HENRI IV being by Zimmer except the basic structure of the title theme (which is clearly derivative of earlier Zimmer work anyway). It has Jackman's fingerprints all over it.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  11. Thor wrote
    HENRI 4 was Jackman AND Zimmer, if memory serves.

So the album cover claims, but it's since been revealed that in reality Zimmer merely produced the score. Even the in-film credits don't list Zimmer as anything more than a producer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Ori and the Blind Forest - Gareth Coker

This is quite pleasant and the James Horner rip-offs are right up my street. But 90 minutes is a bit of an ordeal.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2015
    Southall wrote
    Ori and the Blind Forest - Gareth Coker

This is quite pleasant and the James Horner rip-offs are right up my street. But 90 minutes is a bit of an ordeal.

I'm playing the game right now and it works very well in-context but yeah, it's a lot of music and when it's not being thematic, it can ramble on.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Duel Billy Goldenberg

The best score for a Spielberg film (according to hipsters).
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I hope you get eaten by extraterrestrial sharks. Brandishing bullwhips.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  12. Steven wrote
    Duel Billy Goldenberg

The best score for a Spielberg film (according to hipsters).

It's the best Speilberg-directed film up to that point, yes.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Inception Hans Zimmer

I loved Zimmer's music in Interstellar (mostly), but this still remains my favourite Zimmer-Nolan score. I'm looking forward to their next collaboration beginning with 'In-'.
  13. Steven wrote
    Inception Hans Zimmer

I loved Zimmer's music in Interstellar (mostly), but this still remains my favourite Zimmer-Nolan score. I'm looking forward to their next collaboration beginning with 'In-'.

"Incontinence"?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn